Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

http://www.figurerealm.com/customfig...=view&id=85683

A custom figure was made. Not sure if the helmet is removable.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

That's pretty neat.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Duke's a great new character and the yellow and black suit is pretty neat. He's also a very, very new character compared to everyone else in the Bat family. It'll take time for him to come into his own and I'm good with that. I'm glad he's a completely new character and not using a legacy moniker.

Mighty Member

I like Duke mainly because I am always willing to give a new character a chance, and so far, I like what Snyder is doing in ASB and I reall enjoying his the backup.

I wonder if Lark will still be is code name and I do feel that unlike most of the Batfamily that he will become a daytime hero, the backup seems to hinting at that.

Mighty Member

Nice, these are cool.

I like him, but i prefer the other bat fam members more. Out of Harper and Duke, i would choose Harper,however that might be because i read batman and robin eternal, but not we are robin. Maybe i think Duke is bland cause i have not read enough of him.

Astonishing Member

Though I am extremely happy for this Duke thread, I won't lie and pretend that I appreciate the pretense of its beginnings. I feel that no one but Duke would get such a flippant start to his appreciation thread. :/

With that said, Duke's become one of my favorites since the end of Endgame and We Are Robin. Honestly, I can't get enough of the guy, and hope he keeps on expanding.

Out of everything about him, I like Duke's sense of empathy. Despite everything, even himself, he's an optimist at heart, and he tries his best to see the best in others he's able to form connections with.

Independence and Empathy are two traits that I feel describe Duke's character very well.

I also wanna give a shot out to his We Are Robin crew, and hope that they'll show up again before too long, since they're Duke supporting cast among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I really do appreciate that Duke is being used like Mr Bloom, to be a present day relevant perspective from our culture. And specifically, Duke is meant look at current youth culture of, apparently, creating yourself from various subcultures you like around you and being more independent, more self-starting, more suspicious of the old ways.
    This is a wonderful post, here.

I agree that Duke's independent side, as well as the entire We Are Robin concept from the Robin's perspective, works well as a showcasing of how youth is today. It makes sense considering how connected everything is.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yes, I think that's about correct, though I haven't read Duke enough, and this presumably correct enough description highlights why Snyder is doing Duke to begin with: To inject some contemporary relevance and perspective. Which is fair game and many Batwriters do this. People are becoming increasingly like this, for various reasons.

That's why I liked Mr Bloom so much, he was created from the news and the mood of many in the nation.
    This, as far as the line you were quoting, is a bit too sweeping on the negative side, however.

Duke is independently minded, and that's a good thing, and yes, he has a stubbornness to him developed over the events of his life thus far, but I feel that tacking that with him being distrustful of strangers and leaving it at that does a disservice overall.

While he does tend to put a suspicious foot forward, as seen when he rags on Dre after first being told about Dre's dad's mob connection, it should be made clear that Duke is a very empathy driven person, with the appropriate kind of perceptiveness to match, and that's a trait that is shown throughout different writers.

It's what balanced him enough compared to his peers to where he began, almost accidentally, leading his group of Robins, as well as the gathering in Robin War. It's also why he tries to reach out to Amnesiac Bruce, and is arguably the initial step to Bruce getting his memories back, even if he thought he failed. His comforting of Gotham Girl, as temporary as it ended up being, is a good recent example, and All-Star showing that he gets that side from his mother is simply brilliant.

That's pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I like Duke mainly because I am always willing to give a new character a chance, and so far, I like what Snyder is doing in ASB and I reall enjoying his the backup.

I wonder if Lark will still be is code name and I do feel that unlike most of the Batfamily that he will become a daytime hero, the backup seems to hinting at that.
    He does seem to be going in that general direction. I wonder if it'll stick? It's definitely unique relative to most of the other Batfamily inside Gotham (outside is a different story).

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    I like him, but i prefer the other bat fam members more. Out of Harper and Duke, i would choose Harper,however that might be because i read batman and robin eternal, but not we are robin. Maybe i think Duke is bland cause i have not read enough of him.
    Not to say my word is worth anything, but I'd definitely recommend reading We Are Robin and the accompanying Robin War issues (which should be available in Trade), as that's basically the foundation from where I fell in love with his character.

His role in the concurrent run of Batman, the Superheavy arc, is pretty good, too, but it may be harder to pick through, since he's more woven into the the current ongoings of that arc than anything else. It has some good moments for his character, though.

His role in Endgame, which was his first "big" appearance since he was introduced in Zero Year, provides the ground work for his role in We Are Robin, and the earliest issues make the most sense having read his part in Endgame, but it'll most definitely be harder to pick through than even Superheavy, so that may not be a real option. I wanna say it's not a deal breaker, but it does make his motivations in We Are Robin and his plot line with Amnesiac Bruce make more sense having that knowledge than not.

Buy yes, We Are Robin and Robin War are musts, as is Batman Rebirth for him getting his costume and Night of the Monster Men for him taking more initiative inside the Batcircle. You already know of All-Star and its back-ups, of course, but they feature him the most consistently as of the current books.

Hope this helps.

I love Duke. He's a breathe of fresh air really. I'm liking this idea of Bruce guiding him to finding his own path instead of just making him Robin as well.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I love Duke. He's a breathe of fresh air really. I'm liking this idea of Bruce guiding him to finding his own path instead of just making him Robin as well.
    That's what I love about his character as well as Harper's. Both of them seem set on finding their own paths in the superhero world and both have taken Batman as their inspiration for becoming heroes in the first place. They both strike me as being very like Barbara in that way. She too wanted to find her own way and she also took Batman as an inspiration for becoming Batgirl but clearly she was forging her own path.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

The story is also revealing a new superhero identity for Duke Thomas, particularly in back-up stories by Snyder with artist Declan Shalvey and colorist Jordie Bellaire.

What is that new superhero identity? Why did Snyder bring back Harold Allnut? And why was it important to bring together young Harvey and Bruce? Newsarama talked to Snyder to find out.

Newsarama: OK, Scott… what is the name of Duke's favorite band? Can you say? It's Batman's… what?

Scott Snyder: [Laughs.] I want everybody else to sort of make up whatever horrible curse or whatever horrible body part that is.

But I was sort of waiting to use that for a while. It's been the back of my head since all the way back from, I think it's like Batman #46, where Duke was listening to this metal band when he was sneaking into the Iceberg Lounge. We were joking around, like, wouldn't it be funny if it was, like, Batman's "beep!"

So it's been waiting in the background for a while. And now I kind of want to show the two of them going to see the band at the end or something like.

But yes, that is a band in Gotham now. It's funny how you make something up like that and it just suddenly exists there.

Anyone here understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, I personally think the yellow suit is pretty rad. Not quite as cool as Sean Murphy and Greg Capullo's future/hallucination drawings of Lark (from Detective Comcis #27 and Batman #35), but nice. I really wish Snyder would just call him Lark in ASB, though!
    Thanks for making this thread. I'm becoming an even bigger Duke fan with each passing month. I like the long game they are playing in slowly building the character and am excited to see where he's at two years from now.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Anyone here understand this?
    In ASB #3, Duke mentions he's a fan of a metal band called Batman's Dick. Or ass, or whatever. Something rude. Said band is composed of former Arkham inmates.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Batman's Dick.
    That made me laugh

Duke's been interesting. Reminds me a bit of one of the international batmans of Batman Incorporated, the way he is being presented.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    In ASB #3, Duke mentions he's a fan of a metal band called Batman's Dick. Or ass, or whatever. Something rude. Said band is composed of former Arkham inmates.

It's 100% 'Batman's Taint'. At least for me it is.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli