Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Man, the juvy delinquent with whom Duke is fighting here seems to have some seriously cool powers. I wonder what he can create, it looks like mini "Strange Stars" from Bloom of Superheavy. I hope the mini seel wells, 'cause it's beautiful, with some great coregraphy from what I've seen here and there, and a very unique tone and story (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A hour and 16 minutes there is a new interview for batman and the signal with tony patrick and cullen bunn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zgtW08B1o

two new pages from the book is shown also, not in the other preview. Also 1 hour 50 minutes in there is a interview with Scott about the book. Scott does the best explanation I have seen for Dukes meta powers yet. Duke can see anything that happened in the light like 5 minutes before hand. Also if Duke's book gets to continue past 3 issues we may get a confrontation between him and Joker.
    its cully hammer the artist not cullen bunn the writer.

The interviews are cool and I'm pretty excited for this comic. Fingers crossed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A hour and 16 minutes there is a new interview for batman and the signal with tony patrick and cullen bunn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zgtW08B1o

two new pages from the book is shown also, not in the other preview. Also 1 hour 50 minutes in there is a interview with Scott about the book. Scott does the best explanation I have seen for Dukes meta powers yet. Duke can see anything that happened in the light like 5 minutes before hand. Also if Duke's book gets to continue past 3 issues we may get a confrontation between him and Joker.
    That's Cully Hamner the book's artist and the man who did Duke costumed redesign as the Signal. Edit: What 'the illustrious mr. kenway' said.

Not only is there a new page, but we got a old page, the one were Signal crashes inside the bus, that's actually complete. We see the kid, who seems to be the darker skinned boy on the lower left side of the cover for issue #2, seemingly punching the tire of the bus at its rim. The new page shows what I'm guessing is the aftermath of him doing that.

In the Scott Snyder portion, there is indeed a 2nd new page that gets displayed. There, it's made clearer that this kid has some kind of negative energy powers that giving Signal a run for his money. The Snyder portion was really good, because he goes into more detail/reiterates Duke's powers. He also confirms that Duke is (still, it seems) 16. I'd need to go check his We Are Robin "card" to see whether he's was listed 16 or 17 there. (Checked, and he's 16 there, too.)

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    its cully hammer the artist not cullen bunn the writer.

The interviews are cool and I'm pretty excited for this comic. Fingers crossed.
    Yes, my bad. I'm aware of this. I blame myself writing that at 4am.

So according to Murphy Duke's role in White Knight is Based on Luke Cage. He protects a rough neighbourhood that's too dangerous for Batman and the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    So according to Murphy Duke's role in White Knight is Based on Luke Cage. He protects a rough neighbourhood that's too dangerous for Batman and the cops.
    That's actually great. I like to see DUke more as an outsider in this tale. Plus, it may boost his popularity here,s ince White Knight has been well received. I wonder if he'll have his powers, however.
    Last edited by Korath; 10-15-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    That's actually great. I like to see DUke more as an outsider in this tale. Plus, it may boost his popularity here,s ince White Knight has been well received. I wonder if he'll have his powers, however.
    It's great that Duke is getting such a strong defined role in such big title however I'm a little disappointed that they went for the rough neighbourhood hero. It's an elseworld where Joker is a good guy why not mix it up instead of this tired stereotype that the media likes to double down on?

I would have liked something different like Duke as this world's Nightwing and put Dick as the protector in the tough hood. That would really unexpected and interesting. As a huge Dick Grayson fan I would love to see him do something different from the norm and as a Duke fan I would enjoy seeing him either opposing a villainous Bruce.

I hope he has his powers and some great fighting skills.Yeah I really hope he has his powers because then he's not just strong but also a detective.
    Have I said how cool his powers are now that we know more about it and just the type of meta abilities that sync with and compliments the Batman concept of World's Greatest Detective.

Bruce is going to have some strong competition for that title. Sadly Batman doesn't do much detecting these days so good to have Duke bring that back into focus.

But it's not a big deal. I enjoyed the 1st issue looking forward to the rest and Duke Cage

Betting this means that Duke will also be in Last Knight as well which is really good. As Synder's last Batman book it's an important title that fans will want to keep.
    Last edited by Fergus; 10-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.

It would be interesting if he was allied with the cops/government in but still wanted to help the little guy. That's an interesting source of conflict because the police aren't seen as allies in local communities.

Very curious about Duke's role in White knight and how different he is (or not so different).

Someone called Duke the anti-robin in another thread and I disagree with that notion. I don't think Snyder meant for Duke to be anti-Robin but more the next evolution of the robin concept. Robin and by extension legacy characters need to be more than just the understudies or mini-me's or next in line for the mantle. Ms Marvel and Blindspot are that and i think Duke is becoming that via how the interview sets him up as the signal.

It would be interesting if he was allied with the cops/government in but still wanted to help the little guy. That's an interesting source of conflict because the police aren't seen as allies in local communities.

Very curious about Duke's role in White knight and how different he is (or not so different).

Someone called Duke the anti-robin in another thread and I disagree with that notion. I don't think Snyder meant for Duke to be anti-Robin but more the next evolution of the robin concept. Robin and by extension legacy characters need to be more than just the understudies or mini-me's or next in line for the mantle. Ms Marvel and Blindspot are that and i think Duke is becoming that via how the interview sets him up as the signal.
    Duke isn't the anti Robin is just that poorly constructed bit of dialogue that set some off. You know how fans are. I am also not sure if he's an evolution of the concept more like Batgirl though I guess that could considered the next step. Trained by Batman to be an independent rather than a side kick.

The variant issue for B&TS #1 is out, I'm liking it.

Also, apparently Sean Murphy called Duke "his Robin" for White Knight, whatever that may mean.

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/st...30233061523457
    Last edited by Korath; 10-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Also, apparently Sean Murphy called Duke "his Robin" for White Knight, whatever that may mean.

Interesting that series got expanded to 8 issues now. Wonder if that is the arc we see Duke?

I guess we might see Duke as the Robin in White knight. Maybe he has the design from Detective comics, even that hoverboard?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I like the variant, still confused by Duke's weapon choice.

pretty awesome cover actually, from this angle, the Wolverine comparison isn't nearly as bad as others made it out to be.

Astonishing Member

Interesting enough. He looked pretty grizzled in that image, and it would play off mainline Duke's initial desire of sticking close home, etc. Need to see how things play off in practice.

I hope he has his powers here, too, since even if it's an Alt Universe, consistency on that avenue would be appreciated. It depends on when White Knight was in development and whether the writer was privy to/inquired about Duke's powers and the specifics of it. More exposure for Duke's name, in positive showings, mind, is always good.

It's great that Duke is getting such a strong defined role in such big title however I'm a little disappointed that they went for the rough neighbourhood hero. It's an elseworld where Joker is a good guy why not mix it up instead of this tired stereotype that the media likes to double down on?

I would have liked something different like Duke as this world's Nightwing and put Dick as the protector in the tough hood. That would really unexpected and interesting. As a huge Dick Grayson fan I would love to see him do something different from the norm and as a Duke fan I would enjoy seeing him either opposing a villainous Bruce.

I hope he has his powers and some great fighting skills.Yeah I really hope he has his powers because then he's not just strong but also a detective.
    Have I said how cool his powers are now that we know more about it and just the type of meta abilities that sync with and compliments the Batman concept of World's Greatest Detective.

Bruce is going to have some strong competition for that title. Sadly Batman doesn't do much detecting these days so good to have Duke bring that back into focus.

But it's not a big deal. I enjoyed the 1st issue looking forward to the rest and Duke Cage

Betting this means that Duke will also be in Last Knight as well which is really good. As Synder's last Batman book it's an important title that fans will want to keep.
    I can definitely understand the weariness of such tropes, although it really comes down to how it plays out in practice. Such a role can be made to fit Duke, especially of the work from a social worker slant.

Still, this being an Elseworlds, I do agree that them ramping Duke up costumed-hero wise wound have been cool. And I hope he'll have his powers here, too. He might, depending on timing and so forth.

I, too, look forward to see how White Knight characterizes Duke.

You're definitely correct that they intended for Duke as Robin to be the next-level Robin (i.e., something more than merely Batman's sidekick), and not an anti variation. Those who say that are just adding to the example of those who misconstrued his character and the ideal behind it (most of whom did so more by willfulness than by ignorance).

Duke isn't the anti Robin is just that poorly constructed bit of dialogue that set some off. You know how fans are. I am also not sure if he's an evolution of the concept more like Batgirl though I guess that could considered the next step. Trained by Batman to be an independent rather than a side kick.
    The dialogue was pretty straightforward and consistent to the character(s) and his(their) overall vision. To that end, I'd say it was not poorly constructed, by in fact was misconstrued by some of the readers who took offense

Anyway, yeah. Being trained by Bats personally, learning from him, but ultimately becoming more than another sidekick, becoming beacons, symbols, and signals in and of their own rights would be a(n potential) evolution of the Robin concept.

Cool! Loving that head-on, "descent" image. Also, maybe it's the artist or maybe it's just the angle, but this shot of Duke in-costume looks more reminiscent of his pre-Signal version of the costume.

And the "his Robin" is just a way of Sean saying Duke is his favorite/one of his favorites. (And "hmm" at the tweet asking about Tim...)

I guess we might see Duke as the Robin in White knight. Maybe he has the design from Detective comics, even that hoverboard?
    If they show him in flashback, maybe. Present day? He's older 20-something with a full-beard.

Still, new Hoverboard Duke art is something I would welcome with open arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongul778 View Post
    pretty awesome cover actually, from this angle, the Wolverine comparison isn't nearly as bad as others made it out to be.
    They were also probably commenting on the very first version that had a more pointed, protruding "Bat's Wings" visor, but that version was changed with his current look pretty quickly, and most art of the Signal's don't have the "Bat's Wings" visor helmet. And you likely know this already, but exaggeration and accentuating the negative most certainly blew that comparison out of proportion, on top of everything else.