Page 56 of 102 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

I think that most people are just curious or indiffirent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    this interview makes it clear he reads this forum and knows of dukes haters lol

but honestly, this interview didn't really say anything new.
    We did learn/re-confirm somethings, which is a good thing from the perspective of being consistent. Namely, that they're making a Duke book, in spite of Batman's name on the cover, is reiterated, even within the artist, Cullen, mentioning that his goal was make the art iconic to Duke, including the re-designed costume.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Are there any? Once the ring leader left-I haven't seen that negative vibe although I could say all that hate is now going after some 9 year old who likes the Moon and dinos.

In fact I have not seen any real hatred for any character of color at Dc as of late. Nice to see folks willing to try new folks first.
    Maybe I'm still reeling from the PTSD-esque feelings from late last year all throughout this year. Last I'm aware of, it's still pretty bad. Maybe it has gotten better, though, but with school and stuff, and with lingering anxieties, I haven't checked other threads as much. I even haven't gotten the chance to read the newest Batman to see what Duke's actual role is. Whatever it was, what was some of the responses?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that most people are just curious or indiffirent.
    I know that some of the allegedly "indifferent" people acted out their indifferences with veiled hostility (as I don't see "aggressively indifferent" as being a thing, even if some did).

But once again, maybe things have gotten better on Duke's front forum and fandom-wise. I've been conditioned otherwise, and haven't been around reading as often lately, so I don't know for sure.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Are there any? Once the ring leader left-I haven't seen that negative vibe although I could say all that hate is now going after some 9 year old who likes the Moon and dinos.

In fact I have not seen any real hatred for any character of color at Dc as of late. Nice to see folks willing to try new folks first.
    Yes, I definitely think there are still haters. Maybe not on this forum, but they do exist.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 10-24-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yes, I definitely think there are still haters. Maybe not on this forum, but they do exit.
    Yeah, like some of more anonymous places out there...

Yeah, like some of more anonymous places out there...
    Youtube is a pretty safe bet to find hatred.

Most characters will get hate especially when they are "different" I think that most were indifferent to Duke [not actual hate]. The hate here has died down a lot on this site. At some point most of these people realise that a character is here to stay so start judging based on the character not the pigmentation, gender, sexuality or whatever else was getting their heckles up.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where these things didn't matter and some of us were even naive enough to think that we've grown past such hallow and illogical hate but we haven't. The world is still as racist, sexist as ever it's just that it's become adept at hiding it.
    Anyway I'm ranting what did you guys think of duke calling Jason Jay?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I liked it. They could have some good bantering/interactions if allowed. They have that training series coming up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    I liked it. They could have some good bantering/interactions if allowed. They have that training series coming up anyway.
    I'm looking forward to the training sesh. Calling him Jay seemed out of character since we've not seen much interaction to warrant that level of familiarity but I liked it because that is the kind of relationship I want to see them have. I enjoyed their back and forth. Duke got sass don't you know

I'm just weirded out by people calling him Jay in general, it never sit well with me.

Duke will have haters because not everyone will like him and that's fine. Hopefully the miniseries would change their minds but if it doesn't its cool.

Most people hated him because he was a new character that was getting a push and thought it was at the expense of their favorite which is understandable but not always accurate or fair.

There are haters who are racist but i don't care to understand them (life is too short for that kind of effort online).

I like Duke but he's not my favorite yet. I liked what most the interviews are saying for him and think Patrick/Hamner are a good team for him. Hopefully things work out and he gets a series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Duke will have haters because not everyone will like him and that's fine. Hopefully the miniseries would change their minds but if it doesn't its cool.

Most people hated him because he was a new character that was getting a push and thought it was at the expense of their favorite which is understandable but not always accurate or fair.

There are haters who are racist but i don't care to understand them (life is too short for that kind of effort online).

I like Duke but he's not my favorite yet. I liked what most the interviews are saying for him and think Patrick/Hamner are a good team for him. Hopefully things work out and he gets a series.
    How is cameos in Batman main book a push?

That is what I didn't get 108 page out of 2000 pages of all Batman books and there was rage over that.

I could understand if he had huge roles in events, variants on MANY books, a Young Adult novel, an ongoing that got sold to schools, a cartoon movie, many toys and so on. Like certain others. But at the time-there was no reason for any rage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I am so behind on my comics. Context, please?

How is cameos in Batman main book a push?

That is what I didn't get 108 page out of 2000 pages of all Batman books and there was rage over that.

I could understand if he had huge roles in events, variants on MANY books, a Young Adult novel, an ongoing that got sold to schools, a cartoon movie, many toys and so on. Like certain others. But at the time-there was no reason for any rage.
    People read too much into him being used in the main book and thought it was the expense of "insert favorite character". That would have been more appropriate for Wally West fans or Steph fans. Especially steph fans because DC wouldn't let Bryan Q. Miller use her in his smallville comic. I remember them replacing her with Babs last minute so what they feared with Duke actually happened with another set of characters.

Fandoms are like relationships and they come with similar baggage and insecurities.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I am so behind on my comics. Context, please?
    In batman #33 the robins and Duke are told by Alfred about Bruce proposing to Selena. Bruce also takes Selina on a secret mission that has illegal implications.

Jason rails on Duke for not stopping it. He says that's the job of a robin to bring light into Bruce's life etc. Duke turns it back on him calling him Jay and saying it wasn't his fault and why he is the only one getting blamed saying that Jay is equally at fault.

Damian tells them that its his fault (it actually isn't but not the point) and tells them what Bruce went to go do.

People read too much into him being used in the main book and thought it was the expense of "insert favorite character". That would have been more appropriate for Wally West fans or Steph fans. Especially steph fans because DC wouldn't let Bryan Q. Miller use her in his smallville comic. I remember them replacing her with Babs last minute so what they feared with Duke actually happened with another set of characters.

Fandoms are like relationships and they come with similar baggage and insecurities.

In batman #33 the robins and Duke are told by Alfred about Bruce proposing to Selena. Bruce also takes Selina on a secret mission that has illegal implications.

Jason rails on Duke for not stopping it. He says that's the job of a robin to bring light into Bruce's life etc. Duke turns it back on him calling him Jay and saying it wasn't his fault and why he is the only one getting blamed saying that Jay is equally at fault.

Damian tells them that its his fault (it actually isn't but not the point) and tells them what Bruce went to go do.
    That reminds me; damian’s reaction really weirded me out. But then, he probably already knew where bruce was going.

Astonishing Member

I'm definitely gonna need to read this arc as soon as I can, then. Also, thanks.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-30-2017 at 07:53 PM.