Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    That must be why you posted in a discussion thread specifically dedicated to him, then.
    I mean that I am tired of arguing over his role in the Bat family. Too many Drake fans dissing his similarity, and too many Duke fans arguing his individuality. I enjoy Duke, but I just want him to have a name and a role already!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    I need Duke to find a #$%@ing home, honestly. I'm tired of discussing him. Just give him a role already and let's move on.
    Ummm. But you don't have to talk about him? I don't talk about him that much.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I agree that Snyder needs to stop being coy and just give him a name already.

I reread The Cursed Wheel without anything in between, and it's...honestly kinda vague. It's like Snyder has a fairly crystal clear idea of who and what Batman is - perhaps too clear, since he has his characters say it constantly in monologues - but doesn't quite know how to make similar statements about Duke. The idea of Joker as Batman's blind spot, as someone who loves Batman, is...consistent with Snyder's writing of him, but I don't really like it (nor do I really buy Dini and Timm's idea that Joker just wants to make Batman laugh). Duke does solid work in the story, but it still feels kinda generic. At least with We Are Robin I had a strong idea of who he was - I didn't like him very much, but he didn't feel like "generic heroic protagonist."

I hope Snyder gets a stronger handle on what he wants to say about Duke in the next arc he uses.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Are her much differences? I haven't read All Star yet, but in most of the other appearances, I have kind of the impression that you could easily substitute him with the young pre flashpoint Tim.

The thing is that the other We are Robin kids are also not original, Dre and Dax for example are pretty much Jason and Roy light. And while I don't think We are Robin was bad, I would much rather like to see a proper team up of the real Robins (which the last events imo allways failed to deliver).
    I get that they fill the same archetype but that doesn't automatically mean they are the same person and putting them together going after the same goal would allow you to dig in and show that.

Well the We Are Robin kids are Duke's Titans in a way so a team-up between Duke and them feels more right for the next step of his training. Another crossover of the Robins wouldnt feel right as the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I get that they fill the same archetype but that doesn't automatically mean they are the same person and putting them together going after the same goal would allow you to dig in and show that.

Well the We Are Robin kids are Duke's Titans in a way so a team-up between Duke and them feels more right for the next step of his training. Another crossover of the Robins wouldnt feel right as the next step.
    I would love to see the Robins again. I...don't see Snyder writing it, and I'm fairly certain Snyder has control of Duke for the forseeable future.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

I don't think Rebirth includes the We Are Robin kids.

Look at how Duke was drawn in books outside of WAR-it's like everyone decided to ignore his look for whatever they wanted.

Also personality wise-Rebirth Batman acts as if WAR never happened. Or more of WAR should have happened AFTER training with Batman in Rebirth.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I don't think Rebirth includes the We Are Robin kids.

Look at how Duke was drawn in books outside of WAR-it's like everyone decided to ignore his look for whatever they wanted.

Also personality wise-Rebirth Batman acts as if WAR never happened. Or more of WAR should have happened AFTER training with Batman in Rebirth.
    I think James Tynion said that the We Are Robin kids would show up again in one of the Batbooks but not Detective, so it would be interesting to see how much of WAR is acknowledged.

As for All Star Batman #6, the backup I did enjoy it overall my only complaint is that because it is so short it often seems crammed, so we don't always get the story and character development needed.

However,it was nice to see Daryl again and it seems like he have succumb to the forces of evil, I wonder if he will become the new Mr. Bloom, I think he have the making of an interesting character and becoming Duke's major foe. I loved his description of himself and Duke as the "unworthy hero and the unworthy villain", I think this issue more than any shows that Duke's bravado stems more from insecurity than arrogance, which means that sometimes he will act impulsively.

Duke Thomas Batboy

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Duke Thomas Batboy

That's some pretty sweet art.

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    I mean that I am tired of arguing over his role in the Bat family. Too many Drake fans dissing his similarity, and too many Duke fans arguing his individuality. I enjoy Duke, but I just want him to have a name and a role already!
    I think Batman 16 made his role pretty clear. He's the new "normal guy" Robin.

Yes, thats what Tim Drake used to be, but due to his experience and friends he can't be that guy now. Thats been established ever since the Red Robin series. The way that Duke was all "Holy **** guys I don't want to die, lets listen to Batman!", the current characterization of Tim can't be that guy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I think Batman 16 made his role pretty clear. He's the new "normal guy" Robin.

Yes, thats what Tim Drake used to be, but due to his experience and friends he can't be that guy now. Thats been established ever since the Red Robin series. The way that Duke was all "Holy **** guys I don't want to die, lets listen to Batman!", the current characterization of Tim can't be that guy anymore.
    Enjoyed him in Batman #16. I know he didn't do much but I liked the role he played and his reactions. I would like to see more of him with the others. You are right he is definitely the novice to their seasoned pros and that works well. He made that scene more enjoyable.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Enjoyed him in Batman #16. I know he didn't do much but I liked the role he played and his reactions. I would like to see more of him with the others. You are right he is definitely the novice to their seasoned pros and that works well. He made that scene more enjoyable.
    He needs more appearances like Batman #16 IMHO. Interactions like this one are what help to develop a character over time and it's also one way a character can "catch on" with fans.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    He needs more appearances like Batman #16 IMHO. Interactions like this one are what help to develop a character over time and it's also one way a character can "catch on" with fans.
    You are right. Hopefully going forward we will see more. i hope that Batman#16 is a sign of things to come.

I'm interested in his character. I like what little I've seen so far and his interaction with Dick and Damian in Robin War were also good. I wish Synder would stop being so cagey and give him a name already/start unveiling his big plans for Duke.

I also want to see him in other titles, at the moment he's locked at way in that one corner and all his interactions are with a few people. He needs to mix more with the rest of the family.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

You are right. Hopefully going forward we will see more. i hope that Batman#16 is a sign of things to come.

I'm interested in his character. I like what little I've seen so far and his interaction with Dick and Damian in Robin War were also good. I wish Synder would stop being so cagey and give him a name already/start unveiling his big plans for Duke.

I also want to see him in other titles, at the moment he's locked at way in that one corner and all his interactions are with a few people. He needs to mix more with the rest of the family.
    I'd actually like to see him interact with Damian some more and with the other "Bat kids" as well. Locking him away in the corner of the Bat-verse isn't going to do anything for him character-wise especially since Snyder isn't really doing much to push him ATM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG