Page 7 of 102 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Nice art there.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I think Batman 16 made his role pretty clear. He's the new "normal guy" Robin.

Yes, thats what Tim Drake used to be, but due to his experience and friends he can't be that guy now. Thats been established ever since the Red Robin series. The way that Duke was all "Holy shit guys I don't want to die, lets listen to Batman!", the current characterization of Tim can't be that guy anymore.
    I thought that was great as well. I agree with you, if Tim was there he would've been right there with Dick and Jason thinking how best not to listen to Batman. King did a great job differentiating the boys there. I really enjoyed all of 16 for its focus on the Robins.

Astonishing Member

Been awhile. I decided to post this and than play catch-up with the posts I've missed since November.

First, I wanted to throw my two cents in on the conclusion of the first part of the Wheel of Doom. It's been a bit, so I'm going off my memory, but from what I recall, I came away feeling awesome about Duke and how it ended. I especially loved Bruce and Duke's talk at the end. I seriously need to re-read that part of the story, but I know I really enjoyed it. Awesome, deep moment for him, and him and Bruce together, too.

The next arc has started, and so far, we're just an issue in, so there's not too much going on, though I loved the return of Daryl (can't remember if it has two 'r's or one), and kinda didn't see it coming beforehand. I also recall how I seemed to feel that the back-up for that story in the issue felt short. This is strange for me, as I never felt that way for any prior Wheel of Doom story before then. I don't know if it was the absence of that back-up for a month playing with my usual perceptions or what, but I came away wishing that the back-up was a little longer.

Lastly, his most recent appearance in Batman #16, the "talked-about Batburger" panels, did feel like it didn't last long enough on the one side. It made me realize that I could read an entire costume-less outing issue, from start to finish, with Bruce, Duke, and everyone else. In fact, I've been kinda starved of that. This is also the most Duke's been in the mainline Batman book in while, I think.

The biggest caveat to that for me was the ending. I am not 100% sure on how I feel about it. On the one hand, the writer having Duke follow Bruce's word could be said to show of his loyalty to Bruce (specifically for those who feel Duke's independent side makes him come off as too snippy towards Bruce), but it can just as easily point to his cowardice in general, particularly with how he said he didn't want to die. Duke has more courage than that , so hearing that coupled with him backing out really kind of pushes things. The worst part of that is that, when taken into account along with Batman's writer's sheer reluctance of using Duke in over a half a year's worth of issues, it makes it feel as if Duke was only really included in this scene as an excuse to write him out of the "I Am Bane" arc (and if so, that kinda sours the original fun and funny mood of the outing), too, especially since Dick, Jason, and Damian are most certainly not gonna ditch Bruce in such trying times. The latter of which also doesn't reflect well on Duke's decision to leave, in addition to the fact that he did so as quickly as he did.

Now, with that said, this could all just be a setup for Duke being shown to stick around and stick Bane's arrival out with everyone else, since, after all, this wouldn't be Duke's first "10-Minute Retirement" (We Are Robin would), so precedence for Duke doing so here could be argued, but knowing this writer's track record with Duke's character so far, outside the Rebirth issue, I'm not too confident this will turn out to be a positive moment for Duke's character.

Woo. I certainly did not intend to write so much when I first started out, especially those last couple of paragraphs.

Last edited by dietrich; 02-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.

There is some really good art in this thread

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'd actually like to see him interact with Damian some more and with the other "Bat kids" as well. Locking him away in the corner of the Bat-verse isn't going to do anything for him character-wise especially since Snyder isn't really doing much to push him ATM.
    It's funny you, and the couple others, should put it like that. Since the Rebirth issue back in June of last year, closing in on a whole year now, Tom King pretty much ignored, downplayed, or glossed over Duke in the main Batman book, including the Annual. He hadn't really been used in any consistent manner except by Snyder in All-Star which began in August and is once a month, even if it's a slow-roll that's mostly relegated to the back-ups.

I mentioned it in my post above, but long story short, the end to that scene didn't instill confidence in me, not based on Tom's track record with Duke in that book so far. He had Duke help calm down Gotham Girl once, and he had a role in Monster Men with the others (not sure who wrote what at that time), but that's it.

My biggest worry is that this scene that you guys seem to have enjoyed (the end, not the beginning) may just be another excuse not to use Duke in the book that he's supposed to be a part of. Duke backing out while the others don't doesn't reflect well on the courage side of things for him, either.

Considering this is the most presence Duke has had in this book in over a dozen issues, I'm a little paranoid as to the motive behind Tom King's use of him in that scene (at the end of it, which would reflect poorly on his role in the scene as a whole).

On another note, I'd love to see Duke interact with Damian on a more personal level again, as well as his old We Are Robin crew. I'm hoping Tynion's words about them showing back up in a Bat-Book are true (and not just a vague pacifier).

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That scene at Batburger really did wonders for the fanart of these guys! (And I see the fanartists still draw Jason with that white tuft.) I'm really lovin' the Duke fanart that's starting to become more common.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 02-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's funny you, and the couple others, should put it like that. Since the Rebirth issue back in June of last year, closing in on a whole year now, Tom King pretty much ignored, downplayed, or glossed over Duke in the main Batman book, including the Annual. He hadn't really been used in any consistent manner except by Snyder in All-Star which began in August and is once a month, even if it's a slow-roll that's mostly relegated to the back-ups.

I mentioned it in my post above, but long story short, the end to that scene didn't instill confidence in me, not based on Tom's track record with Duke in that book so far. He had Duke help calm down Gotham Girl once, and he had a role in Monster Men with the others (not sure who wrote what at that time), but that's it.

My biggest worry is that this scene that you guys seem to have enjoyed (the end, not the beginning) may just be another excuse not to use Duke in the book that he's supposed to be a part of. Duke backing out while the others don't doesn't reflect well on the courage side of things for him, either.

Considering this is the most presence Duke has had in this book in over a dozen issues, I'm a little paranoid as to the motive behind Tom King's use of him in that scene (at the end of it, which would reflect poorly on his role in the scene as a whole).

On another note, I'd love to see Duke interact with Damian on a more personal level again, as well as his old We Are Robin crew. I'm hoping Tynion's words about them showing back up in a Bat-Book are true (and not just a vague pacifier).

That scene at Batburger really did wonders for the fanart of these guys! (And I see the fanartists still draw Jason with that white tuft.) I'm really lovin' the Duke fanart that's starting to become more common.
    I think you are being a bit too critical about that scene. WE already know that Duke will make another appearance in this arc cos we saw the artwork showing all the boys along with Bruce and the rest of the family in the cave in costume. And the as for Duke refusing to disobey Bruce even Dick noted and called him smart for it. I think it was done to contrast the new guy to the old guard. Duke is still very green remember.

I'm hoping for more interaction between him and the rest of the boys especially Damian [I enjoyed their dynamic in Robin War].

It's a shame that his progress has been slow but I put that down to Synder not King honestly it feels like his inclusion in King's isn't by choice but rather by obligation. It doesn't feel like even King knows what Synder's end goal for Duke is.

Anyway I hope that Batman #16 is the start of Duke interacting more with the rest of the batfamily, also won't mind if he popped up in other books.

Astonishing Member

I think you are being a bit too critical about that scene. WE already know that Duke will make another appearance in this arc cos we saw the artwork showing all the boys along with Bruce and the rest of the family in the cave in costume. And the as for Duke refusing to disobey Bruce even Dick noted and called him smart for it. I think it was done to contrast the new guy to the old guard. Duke is still very green remember.

I'm hoping for more interaction between him and the rest of the boys especially Damian [I enjoyed their dynamic in Robin War].

It's a shame that his progress has been slow but I put that down to Synder not King honestly it feels like his inclusion in King's isn't by choice but rather by obligation. It doesn't feel like even King knows what Synder's end goal for Duke is.

Anyway I hope that Batman #16 is the start of Duke interacting more with the rest of the batfamily, also won't mind if he popped up in other books.
    I'd say more paranoid (not like that's better) based on past trends in this book than too critical. Going by Duke's past usage in this title, Rebirth and the aforementioned not withstanding, is what has fed into it (the Rebirth issue kinda gave me false preconceptions on what Duke's role in the book would be).

I'd also like to point out that I haven't been around here recently, so I haven't seen those other images you're speaking of (gotta spare link?).

Duke going along with Bruce in that specific scene can be taken more than way, which I alluded to in my very first post here since I came back. And yes, I remember that Dick said he was smart for it, but in spite of that, his words didn't alleviate me of my worry. I also made mention in that first post that I could be wrong in my interpretation, but that Tom King's track record with Duke in that book so far didn't fill me with confidence going in forward blind.

Also, Duke is still very much green, but he isn't the greenest guy in the world. Nothing comparable to other Robins so far, but not an 100% greenhorn either. I feel that tends to be forgotten or glossed over.

Also on the contrary, as of current, I feel that Snyder's the only one who gives much of a care since We Are Robin. Hopefully, that will change, but it would have been nice if there wasn't a gap of over a dozen issues before Duke was given some consistent agency in post-Rebirth Batman.

But yes, I do look forward to more Duke and Damian interactions, as well as more Duke and anyone other than Alfred or Gotham Girl, and maybe Batman other than from the other side of an intercom.

Ultimate Member

Is that King's doing or a side effect from Johns? Remember everyone has to clear their stories through him (at least for the first few arcs) as he plotting out the next 2 years.

Remember they are ignoring We Are Robin and we saw the Duke disrespect in Robin War, Batman & Detective Comics-what editor allows a character to get drawn 8 different ways in one story?

And don't forget the Duke backlash where people were and still boycott the book over him.

We still have the Batman event this summer-if he does NOTHING-then DC needs to be called out.

I'd say more paranoid (not like that's better) based on past trends in this book than too critical. Going by Duke's past usage in this title, Rebirth and the aforementioned not withstanding, is what has fed into it (the Rebirth issue kinda gave me false preconceptions on what Duke's role in the book would be).

I'd also like to point out that I haven't been around here recently, so I haven't seen those other images you're speaking of (gotta spare link?).

Duke going along with Bruce in that specific scene can be taken more than way, which I alluded to in my very first post here since I came back. And yes, I remember that Dick said he was smart for it, but in spite of that, his words didn't alleviate me of my worry. I also made mention in that first post that I could be wrong in my interpretation, but that Tom King's track record with Duke in that book so far didn't fill me with confidence going in forward blind.

Also, Duke is still very much green, but he isn't the greenest guy in the world. Nothing comparable to other Robins so far, but not an 100% greenhorn either. I feel that tends to be forgotten or glossed over.

Also on the contrary, as of current, I feel that Snyder's the only one who gives much of a care since We Are Robin. Hopefully, that will change, but it would have been nice if there wasn't a gap of over a dozen issues before Duke was given some consistent agency in post-Rebirth Batman.

But yes, I do look forward to more Duke and Damian interactions, as well as more Duke and anyone other than Alfred or Gotham Girl, and maybe Batman other than from the other side of an intercom.
    This is the scene I do not have the link for it. It was posted on the Dick Grayson Appreciation Thread without quoting the source.

I do hope we have more interact cos at the moment everything is so disjointed and Duke feels separate from the rest of the rest of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Is that King's doing or a side effect from Johns? Remember everyone has to clear their stories through him (at least for the first few arcs) as he plotting out the next 2 years.

Remember they are ignoring We Are Robin and we saw the Duke disrespect in Robin War, Batman & Detective Comics-what editor allows a character to get drawn 8 different ways in one story?

And don't forget the Duke backlash where people were and still boycott the book over him.

We still have the Batman event this summer-if he does NOTHING-then DC needs to be called out.
    To be fair that backlash has died down now. On this site at least most people [outside of a couple of regular offenders] have accepted that he is here to stay.

Ultimate Member

To be fair that backlash has died down now. On this site at least most people [outside of a couple of regular offenders] have accepted that he is here to stay.
    http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articl...-/1100-156366/

I may have asked you this before, but do you have long term plans all mapped out for Duke?

Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, we've been in discussions with them for a long time, so we have different opportunities now or different options as to how to lance him in terms of a series or miniseries or as a character in another series. In terms of who he is going to be and all that stuff, we've been talking about it for a really long time.
    A mini series?

A solo

Another book role?

If going by what Bleeding Cool talked about today with Batman preparing everyone for something-ie-Bruce probably vanishing again. Duke in that Bat suit? Help us all if that happens.

Mighty Member

This is the scene I do not have the link for it. It was posted on the Dick Grayson Appreciation Thread without quoting the source.

I do hope we have more interact cos at the moment everything is so disjointed and Duke feels separate from the rest of the rest of the family.
    I don't think the backlash was even that huge to begin with.

Good to see that there is going to be more interaction with him and the rest of the Batfamily.

I think DC and Snyder are trying to balance raising his profile and not falling into the trap of making it feel like they are pushing him to hard. I am not sure they have quite struck the right balance but just having him around here and there is a good thing while slowly weaving him into the Batfamily. However, given the hits that he is going be the "Daybird" of the Batfamily I wonder how this will impact on his connection with the rest of family given that they are more or less work in the night.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

It's not a Batman event, it's a DC event with Batman taking the lead which is par the course as far as DC is concerned. Sorry but neither Dick nor Damian nor any any Batman character played a role in Final Crisis so Duke has no reason to play some humongous role nor should his fans start acting entitled because he isn't standing shoulder to shoulder with Superman. Duke was front and center in Robin War and Night of the Monster Men which were the last 2 back to back crossovers involving the Bat line. DC doesn't have to be called out on anything.