Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Mighty Thor #12- Spoilers, the Mjolnir Retcon

- Jane goes to the God Library place bc the hammer took her there

- We learn the true origin of Mjolnir. Essentially, it was a galaxy busting sentient space storm. One day it headed towards Asgard, and Odin beat the storm into submission, put it in a chunk of Uru, and told the dwarves to weaponize it

thus... mjolnir.

However, Odin couldn't control it, so he put numerous enchantments on it, stuck it in a weapons vault and left it there.

librarian says the storm/sentient thing should ahve basically died by now, but Janes says otherwie

In the end, the hammer takes Jane away, and the librarian basically says this tale will end in death and war.

let the shit storm (heheheh) begin
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Is it wrong that I cannot help but smile at the fact some people will hate this with a passion? I should not, but still...

Anyway, sounds interesting. I like the idea that Mjolnir is more then just a magic hammer. Interesting to see how that pads out.

Niffleheim

the agenda is strong with this issue lol! i like the story but i'm sure it's going to rub a lot of ppl the wrong way.

There is nothing to redeem in the All-Father anymore. He is now and forever will be symbol of .........

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    the agenda is strong with this issue lol! i like the story but i'm sure it's going to rub a lot of ppl the wrong way.

There is nothing to redeem in the All-Father anymore. He is now and forever will be symbol of .........
    Why?

Odin kept asgard in one piece by beating the crap out of a giant space storm.

Ain't that a ... good thing?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    What agenda?

Do you think the Storm/Mjolnir will be female in nature perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Why?

Odin kept asgard in one piece by beating the crap out of a giant space storm.

Ain't that a ... good thing?
    It's still something impressive, but it's just throwing the dog a bone while the fairly obvious reason for this retcon is because Aaron can't stomach Odin being the one true creator of Mjolnir and source of it's power anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    What agenda?

Do you think the Storm/Mjolnir will be female in nature perhaps?
    I don't think there is an agenda but it is nominally feminine in the book. "The Mother of Thunder".

I really liked the issue, especially the art, I like where it is heading, but this really isn't much of a retcon. Certainly not of the order we were anticipating. This is just an addition to what we know already, and a slight contradiction where there was already a bit of contradiction.

Thor, your hammer is a lady storm and she has grown weary of you and wants to be handled by Jane, the woman you gave cancer to with your Asgardian manhood.

''WHAT DIDST THOU SAY?''

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    It's still something impressive, but it's just throwing the dog a bone while the fairly obvious reason for this retcon is because Aaron can't stomach Odin being the one true creator of Mjolnir and source of it's power anymore.
    You are in danger of making up your own cannon for Aaron to contradict here.

So we don't really have any insight into how worthiness is actually determined. Did Odin's enchantment create the parameters for worthiness? Or does it simply restrict the God Storm from bonding with anyone except for those for which it has the most affinity? That still seems unlikely if newly disclosed knowledge alone could make Odinson unworthy.

Also, as to the nature of other hammers- does Stormbringer possess a portion of the God Storm, or is it a lesser hammer? Did all of the hammers Doom forged posses God Storm as well, or some other similar force derived from the Beyonder tree (or the Beyonders themselves)? If different from the God Storm, is it somehow inferior? Because then the Ultimate Mjolnir would be a lesser weapon than 616 Mjolnir, having been forged by Doom (as I recall prior to the end of the Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Thor's er was only a technological implement, not enchanted or mystical).

Fantastic Member

Am I the only one who noticed the High Librarian's profile in the last panel? (I could be seeing things that aren't there, so I'm not going to be more explicit, for fear of introducing more bias than this question already does). Unfortunately, don't have access to comic to post atm.

Also, the triumphant return of space sharks! Did anyone else think of that issue of Ms. Marvel where they had the floating shark as part of the science project? (No importance, just made me lol).

As much as it is to some extent a retcon, I actually find it to be pretty damn dark. We've already had it implied that Mjolnir could be influencing Jane's personality when she's transformed. In addition to the fact that the hammer appears sentient, and the revelations in today's issue, it is looking eerily close to looking like the hammer might be using Jane as a vessel to further some goal. And the last lines show what the cost may be, even if it seems like it might not be stoppable now that it's been set in motion. Now, I don't think this is the entirety of the story--making that the end would rob Jane of her agency, which has been a driving theme in the comic thus far. But it could serve as a dark prelude. Roz was also visibly creeped out by Mjolnir. So, I think it might end up being a battle for agency. It may end up being a partnership, but it's walking a fine line (and currently appears to be moving past symbiosis into parasitism or puppetry).

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don't think there is an agenda but it is nominally feminine in the book. "The Mother of Thunder".

I really liked the issue, especially the art, I like where it is heading, but this really isn't much of a retcon. Certainly not of the order we were anticipating. This is just an addition to what we know already, and a slight contradiction where there was already a bit of contradiction.
    Minor retcon but could still be significant

Especialy the part about Odin not being able to wield it. That is rather significant... he has always had more control of it than even Thor.

Curiosu to see where the story fo the hammer goes... why could Thor wield it at all?

Is there a connection to the hammer and Thor's powers afterall? Thor is the God of Thunder and this hammer is Storm based

And of course the issue of the other hammers.

Im intrigued anyway

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

What a shitty retcon. Mjolnir's secret origin is just Aaron ripping off Godstorm from Kurt Busiek's Thor mini (sentient super-storm fights a god and is sealed inside a rock).

It also makes no sense since Odin's created multiple hammers equal to Mjolnir without needing to trap storms to power them. Hell, Loki's made multiple hammers like Mjolnir without needing to seal anything in them. And you'd think the storm would have tried to escape all those times Mjolnir was broken.

Amazing Member

Okay that is a different take and no mention of Loki who in the myths help to make it still I don't see that much retrocon if you go in whith the idea that all the previous mentions of how the hammer was made was are do to different cycles of ragnarock.

That was the best idea ever to clean up the problems in Thor canon. If something comes up to conflict whith the current story the writer or the artist could say that happens several rangarocks ago . Thor was susposed to have ended the cycle , but just before the start of battleworld in the Loki:AOA series we had one final rangarock .

Now everything is almost back to normal or as normal as marvel can get leaving a blank slate to start the next cycle of stories that envolve the Thor canon .

So, the hammer is alive, and I guess Thor didn't know until Nick Fury told him. So maybe it can choose who is worthy and who isn't, it would be funny if it turned on Jane at some point, but it's in it's best interest to keep her around.