Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where To Start?

Default Where To Start?

I haven't read Marvel in a long time. I have always been a DC fan so I've always focused on their lines. I want to get into Marvel, but I have no idea how to start. I've missed so much. What should I read? What are the best books that Marvel is making right now? What do I need to know to understand the general Marvel universe as it stands right now?
    "And I'm still of the opinion that actually physically killing him would be more eye-rolling and irritating than anything else; there's no way he'd stay dead, and having three boys who passed just damages the effect of any Batfamily member dying.

At this rate, Alfred should be getting a discount at the funeral homes and half the family must have frequent funeral miles."

-godisawesome, CBR

Mainly following: Batman, Detective, Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Flash, Harley Quinn

I'd say you should start with Bendis New Avengers a couple of years back as it ties together a bunch of importent Events and has a great roster. Continue with Avengers Assemble or the Main Avengers book during the Heroic Age and then read Hickmans run on New Avengers which leads up to the Secret Wars event. After Secret Wars there hasn't happened much ground breaking stuff yet except for Captain Hydra and CWII.

Can't say much about the X-Books asi only read them periodically.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 10-30-2016 at 12:34 PM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ! View Post
    I haven't read Marvel in a long time. I have always been a DC fan so I've always focused on their lines. I want to get into Marvel, but I have no idea how to start. I've missed so much. What should I read? What are the best books that Marvel is making right now? What do I need to know to understand the general Marvel universe as it stands right now?
    First, you need to know that it's not the same Marvel universe from 2 years ago. It's really messed up and very confusing to new readers.

Second, it's not done getting messy. When IVX is over, there will be even more of a mess.

Third, if you're new to the MU, I would recommend reading books that are fairly new and don't have a lot of continuity. Books like Spider-Man (Miles), Thor (Jane), Old Man Logan, Champions, Nova and the upcoming Infamous Iron Man.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Just look for something that seems cool to you and jump in. Ask questions later.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The impression I get is you're not a first time reader, so the answer is different than I would otherwise. It would help to know when you last left off. Are we talking Civil War? Secret Wars?

If your sole goal is to start fresh, start post-Secret Wars. It's designed for new readers (with the understanding that there are unexplained things during the eight month gap, but nobody knows those answers so it's an even playing field). Vision is widely praised. I sadly haven't read it yet. Black Panther is popular, I enjoy it, but it's controversial among hardcore fans. Neither is tied into events.

For books that'll tie you into things, Sam Wilson: Captain America and Steve Rogers's book will probably push you pretty far. Uncanny Inhumans will take you through Civil War II, Death of X, and IvX, which is pretty good. I also think the book is quite enjoyable. I haven't read Invincible and International Iron Man, but I'd have to imagine the build up to Civil War II there is meaningful. Ultimates is a very good book that reaches Civil War II. All-New, All-Different Avengers touches both Standoff and Civil War II. That's as close to a flagship as you'll get.

But all this depends on when you left off and whether you want to hit the current stories or catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I'd say you should start with Bendis New Avengers a couple of years back as it ties together a bunch of importent Events and has a great roster. Continue with Avengers Assemble or the Main Avengers book during the Heroic Age and then read Hickmans run on New Avengers which leads up to the Secret Wars event. After Secret Wars there hasn't happened much ground breaking stuff yet except for Captain Hydra and CWII.

Can't say much about the X-Books asi only read them periodically.
    Thank you. That's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    First, you need to know that it's not the same Marvel universe from 2 years ago. It's really messed up and very confusing to new readers.

Second, it's not done getting messy. When IVX is over, there will be even more of a mess.

Third, if you're new to the MU, I would recommend reading books that are fairly new and don't have a lot of continuity. Books like Spider-Man (Miles), Thor (Jane), Old Man Logan, Champions, Nova and the upcoming Infamous Iron Man.
    Thank you, that's a helpful direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It would help to know when you last left off. Are we talking Civil War? Secret Wars?

If your sole goal is to start fresh, start post-Secret Wars. It's designed for new readers (with the understanding that there are unexplained things during the eight month gap, but nobody knows those answers so it's an even playing field). Vision is widely praised. I sadly haven't read it yet. Black Panther is popular, I enjoy it, but it's controversial among hardcore fans. Neither is tied into events.

For books that'll tie you into things, Sam Wilson: Captain America and Steve Rogers's book will probably push you pretty far. Uncanny Inhumans will take you through Civil War II, Death of X, and IvX, which is pretty good. I also think the book is quite enjoyable. I haven't read Invincible and International Iron Man, but I'd have to imagine the build up to Civil War II there is meaningful. Ultimates is a very good book that reaches Civil War II. All-New, All-Different Avengers touches both Standoff and Civil War II. That's as close to a flagship as you'll get.

But all this depends on when you left off and whether you want to hit the current stories or catch up.
    I didn't read Civil War or Secret Wars. I want to try to catch up and also hit the current stories.
    "And I'm still of the opinion that actually physically killing him would be more eye-rolling and irritating than anything else; there's no way he'd stay dead, and having three boys who passed just damages the effect of any Batfamily member dying.

At this rate, Alfred should be getting a discount at the funeral homes and half the family must have frequent funeral miles."

-godisawesome, CBR

Mainly following: Batman, Detective, Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Flash, Harley Quinn

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Just pick a single book or character. Research them a bit and start at their very issue or their current run. You really just have to jump in.

BANNED

Well, «Marvel NOW!,» the yearly Marvel initiative that provides new series and jumping point for existing ones, just started, so you could start with one of these new books. Here's a list with all the books comprised in the initiative both existing and just debuting: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_NOW!_(2016)

First read Secret Wars.
    Then read Avengers #0.
    The best books Marvel currently publishes are The Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Ultimates.
    All current X-titles suck.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    First read Secret Wars.
    Then read Avengers #0.
    The best books Marvel currently publishes are The Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Ultimates.
    All current X-titles suck.
    I'm guessing you mean "X" team books? Because Old Man Logan is superb
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

If you have no aversion to digital comics then you may want to check out Marvel Unlimited. There is a 6 month delay on new comics being released but they get pretty much everything new, there older stuff can be hit or miss but they usually add to the older library of books each week. But there are literally thousands and thousands of books to choose from and they seem to have most everything from the last 6 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I'd say you should start with Bendis New Avengers a couple of years back as it ties together a bunch of importent Events and has a great roster.
    You mean the 2004-10 run? Definitely more than a couple of years back...

Incredible Member

All-New Wolverine (Really good)
    Old Man Logan (Because of the Art and Story combination, my favorite book so far. He's new to this universe, so it's a good starting point. It can be confusing to differentiate from flashbacks though if you are not familiar with his history but man is the art just Beautiful).
    Black Panther (Doing a good job of making Wakanda the star giving you some good political intrigue into Wakandan culture, although at the expense of BP being neutered big time . Art is really good too).
    Captain America Sam Wilson (Love this book, he is now my preferred Cap also would be good for new readers since it's about him adjusting to being the new Cap. I am enjoying Hydra Cap (Steve Rogers) as well but I don't think that's a good starting point for new readers.).
    Vision (Best Story period).
    Ultimates (Love the team, Ewing doing good. It will give you an answer to the current state of Marvel)
    Uncanny Avengers (first arc was meh, but got really good after).
    Uncanny Inhumans (Been good the whole way).
    Extraordinary X-Men (X-Men fans hate this book, I like it though but I'm not an X-Men fan. I don't read much X-men.)
    Dr. Strange (long time Strange fans don't like it, I've been enjoying it though).
    Mighty Thor (Aaron doing really good job in all his books IMO)
    ANAD Avengers has been a solid read. The Art is mediocre though).
    Spider-Man (Miles Morales) (Been a good book, he's new to this version of the universe so good starting point).
    Ms Marvel (Enjoying her character)
    Power Man & Iron Fist (This is the most fun filled read out of what I'm reading. Plus a good starting off point since it's their first time back together in a while).

That is the gist of my preferred list.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 10-31-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ! View Post
    I didn't read Civil War or Secret Wars. I want to try to catch up and also hit the current stories.
    In that case, I'd suggest starting with Avengers: Disassembled and read Bendis's New Avengers, plus the crossover events when they occur. That'll take you through Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Siege at a minimum. You should probably read his Mighty Avengers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    In that case, I'd suggest starting with Avengers: Disassembled and read Bendis's New Avengers, plus the crossover events when they occur. That'll take you through Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Siege at a minimum. You should probably read his Mighty Avengers as well.
    Thank you. That's what I'll do/.

-godisawesome, CBR