Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Favorite Boris Karloff Movie?

I've seen more of his movies than I can count and there are way too many of them to make a proper poll. Thought I'd make a place where people can generally appreciate my all time favorite movie monster actor. What are some of your favorite Boris Karloff movies?

Some of my favorites include the Frankenstein films (Frankenstein 1931, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein, Frankenstein 1970), the three Val Lewton produced films (The Body Snatcher 1945, Isle of the Dead, Bedlam), and other films like Targets (1968), The Terror (1963), The Black Cat (1934), Corridors of Blood (1958), Black Sabbath (1963), The Mummy (1932), Black Friday (1940), The Walking Dead (1936), The Ghoul (1975), The Black Room (1935) and the ultra low budget cult classic The Ape (1940).

One of my all time favorite monster movie special effects makeups is the Jack Pierce makeup that Karloff wears in The Mummy.

I think the more subtle version he wears later in the film was also really effective.

Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 07-15-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Bride of Frankenstein I would say is my favorite. Just seemed an overall better film than the first, though Son of Frankenstein was also very good. I also enjoyed his work with Vincent Price in the Raven.

I enjoyed his voice work in the Grinch and Mad Monster Party as well. His voice was pretty distinct, among the likes of Price, Lugosi and Claude Rains 'Invisible Man'.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Scarface ranks up there, for me, and the Roger Corman The Raven.

The Raven is incredibly rewatchable for me.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

The Wurdalak sequence from Black Sabbath. The Mummy and The Grinch are also high up there.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Boris as Frankenstein's Monster! One of my favorite characters ever, and Bride of Frankenstein is one of my all-time favorite films.

But he's great in everything. As a kid I hated that in The Mummy he was only a traditional looking mummy for a short period, but now I love the character and the gorgeously subtle makeup.

It was only voice work, but Mad Monster Party was a lot of fun. he even got to sing in that one.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

For me it's definitely Frankentstein, but he was cool-as-**** in The Black Cat.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Almost forgot, anyone see this before? Supposedly it was from when Karloffs wife Dorothy visited the set of Son of Frankenstein and made a home video with her 16mm camera.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Devil Commands (1941)

This is a gem of a b-movie with a great performance from Boris Karloff and a lot of interesting visuals. Edward Dmytryk sets the mood perfectly with the opening shot of a creepy house during a thunder storm. The film is narrated by Amanda Duff who plays Karloff's daughter. Karloff plays a scientist who invents a machine that records human brain waves. After his wife is killed he discovers her brain waves are still being recorded and becomes obsessed with making contact with the dead. He comes under the influence of a shady fortune teller and accidentally injures his servant Karl. When his housekeeper discovers the truth about his experiments she is accidentally killed which attracts the attention of the local sheriff. The film climaxes when an angry mob storms his home during an experiment involving his own daughter.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison