Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default What Elseworlds & re-imaginings could be told with other major characters?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how some of my favorite stories are Elseworlds or standalone stories that really dig into the mythical nature and personal motivation of the character. But Batman and Superman have a disproportionate focus when it comes to these kinds of stories, with Wonder Woman often serving as a principal supporting character. Red Son, Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, on and on. The New Frontier is perhaps more balanced in that it explores the perspective of multiple characters, but by the same token, doesn't explore and deconstruct individuals as much. Characters like Aquaman, Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, all get cool moments and redesigns, but hardly ever a story told from their perspective in the same vein.

So which characters lend themselves to expansive Elseworld's stories or artistic stand-alones? What kinds of stories could you only tell with certain characters other than Superman and Batman? Which stories like this exist but don't get a lot of fame?

I think Aquaman is ripe for a lot of different Elseworld's. Mystical, political. I didn't mind the "Emperor Aquaman" storyline during Flashpoint, but I thought it was a little cartoonish. Aquaman taking on the militaries of the world seems like an obvious one.

Also, the original "Flashpoint" was a great story. Anybody else read that? Thought it was a nice Flash Elseworld.

BANNED

You could easily do something with Red Son but use Green Lantern instead of Superman... like the GL's are basically cops, cops are about maintaining law and order... why not have him be the supercop of a superpower police state? Soeaking of GL... you could basically do In Darkest Night for any character you want because of the rings deciding who gets to wear them.

The last Flashpoint was essentially Zoom going about and 'JLA: The Nail' every character that matters.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    You could easily do something with Red Son but use Green Lantern instead of Superman... like the GL's are basically cops, cops are about maintaining law and order... why not have him be the supercop of a superpower police state? Soeaking of GL... you could basically do In Darkest Night for any character you want because of the rings deciding who gets to wear them.

The last Flashpoint was essentially Zoom going about and 'JLA: The Nail' every character that matters.
    That's an interesting idea, but that's kind of Sinestro's entire theme, using the ring to create order by any means necessary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That's an interesting idea, but that's kind of Sinestro's entire theme, using the ring to create order by any means necessary.
    True, but perhaps in this case Sinestro could be the foreign rebel thats come to impose his own will on Earth, maybe ally with the GL (Halski?) or be something like an anti-Green Lantern weapon designed by his enemies.

Like Hal is pretty much following in Sinstro's footprints in Injustice after all.

BANNED

You could do all the killings and resurrections of characters in Elseworlds issues instead of burdening the regular issues with that material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You could do all the killings and resurrections of characters in Elseworlds issues instead of burdening the regular issues with that material.
    What would the point of this be?

BANNED

Tammany Hall Green Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    What would the point of this be?
    Because he doesn't think killings and resurrections belong in comics, and it's another opportunity to voice it.
    He wasn't really adding anything to this conversation, per se...

As for myself...
    I think Elseworlds tales are good for filling in those niches that have a hard time finding longterm material. Or testing waters for other genres in comics.

A space-opera JLA... a western Hawkman... a dieselpunk Legion... a steampunk Shadowpact... a sword-and-sandal Aquaman... Barbara Gordon versus a Universal Monsters-inspired Man-Bat or Clayface I... a feudal samurai Wonder Woman...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Because he doesn't think killings and resurrections belong in comics, and it's another opportunity to voice it.
    True, I just like poking at the notion he just wants to use Elseworlds as a place where stuff he doesn't like can take place.

As for myself...
    I think Elseworlds tales are good for filling in those niches that have a hard time finding longterm material. Or testing waters for other genres in comics.

A space-opera JLA... a western Hawkman... a dieselpunk Legion... a steampunk Shadowpact... a sword-and-sandal Aquaman... Barbara Gordon versus a Universal Monsters-inspired Man-Bat or Clayface I... a feudal samurai Wonder Woman...
    Also true, Elseworlds is the place for stories that can't be told in the regular universe... not without some fixing.

New Teen Titans Truth Elseworld's
    1) Raven tells Robin the truth from the beginning
    2) Wally West isn't mind controlled and losing his powers fro his entire run
    3) Donna Troy actually get true justice against the Titans of Myth
    4) Starfire Rebuilds Azarath with her family wealth and Warlords of Okaara
    5) Titans Island is a secret island
    6) Beast boy/Changeling takes full control over his father company
    7) Cyborg rapidly evolves to a New Monitor being renamed Nix Uotan.
    8) The Titans stand Watch over the barren Trillion Planet Dimension of Trigon after finally defeating him as told originally with the Azar Rings
    This will make a interesting dynamic.

BANNED

As for myself...

If you have something to say to me, you don't need to talk about "he." You can address your remarks to me directly. You also don't need to answer questions on my behalf.

No, I don't think stupid "deaths" and even stupider "resurrections" play a positive role in comics, outside of Elseworlds stories. Or at least they haven't since the 10,000th time or so that I saw that threadbare scenario played out.

If you think they do, then please go on thinking so. You're entitled to.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-20-2016 at 03:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    New Teen Titans Truth Elseworld's
    1) Raven tells Robin the truth from the beginning
    2) Wally West isn't mind controlled and losing his powers fro his entire run
    3) Donna Troy actually get true justice against the Titans of Myth
    4) Starfire Rebuilds Azarath with her family wealth and Warlords of Okaara
    5) Titans Island is a secret island
    6) Beast boy/Changeling takes full control over his father company
    7) Cyborg rapidly evolves to a New Monitor being renamed Nix Uotan.
    8) The Titans stand Watch over the barren Trillion Planet Dimension of Trigon after finally defeating him as told originally with the Azar Rings
    This will make a interesting dynamic.
    So basically that X-Men book they have Claremont to write ideas he was gonna write if he didn't leave in 1991?

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

They should do a Gods & Monsters 2. I would like to see how the alternate expanded roster would be, say maybe Sinestro as Green Lantern with a Kyle Rayner who was seduced by the Dark Side and became a Black Lantern. Or how about Eobard Thawne who was exiled from his native universe and seeks to become the Flash. And Bruce Wayne becomes Robin to Kirk Langstrom Batman!

BANNED

They could do one where Batman isn't the greatest at everything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    They could do one where Batman isn't the greatest at everything.
    Lol Earth One