View Poll Results: Favorite Young X men / Next generation X men Team?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Mutants

63 43.15%
  • X Terminators

6 4.11%
  • Generation X

50 34.25%
  • New X men

73 50.00%
  • Generation Hope (five lights)

8 5.48%
  • JGS Students (Wolverine and the X men)

6 4.11%
  • NXS Students (Mutant revolution)

9 6.16%
  • All new X men (Original X men, RAAAAGE)

10 6.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fordel View Post

The Hellions weren't so much bullies as they were the natural antagonists to the New-Mutants squad. Since for the most part the New-Mutants squad was also the audience view point squad, any group that was directly competing against them, or challenging them, could easily be interpreted negatively. The Hellions were the 'them' compared to the New-Mutants squads 'us' in the whole us vs them equation. It's super easy to just look at the squad on the surface and write them off. It would be a mistake, but it's an easy one to make.

Yet, looking at their actions in the main line New X-Men books, or their even further expanded characters in their own mini-series, you can clearly see that they are simply another group of kids trying their best to do right by their friends and make their way in the world... and once you get down to the nitty-gritty and really compare the actions and interactions of the New-Mutants and the Hellions, it's the Hellions that actually come out the shinier of the two.

They're the better preforming squad, they are more inclusive, more cohesive, more loyal to one another. The individuals members have depth and growth, as do the inter-squad relationships. There is genuine believable friendship and trust there. I don't know if it was intentional or just a happy accident, but they managed to turn the 'Slytherin' of the school into the more likeable team and were smart enough to run with it once it became apparent.

Plus the Hellions had Mercury and that automagically makes them the best
    Yeah, alpha squad all the way, they're the ones that stood for wither while the new mutants cowered in fear, and they're the ones protecting the academy after M day, along with the few NXM left that simply joined them. They're also the most interesting characters of the bunch, and having mercury is also a plus 4 me

Those costumes look like Alpha Flight members trying to be X-Men...
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    It is kinda funny how 4 Hellions survived death or depowerment then went on to have main cast roles in NXM, KYost must have really liked them to only get rid of Tag via death and Wither via him going crazy and leaving. NM group 2 depowered and 2 dead (maybe 3 I can't remember if Sofia died in the kidpocalypse) with only 2 surviving as mutants I'm sensing they were a little biased lol.
    Tag and Wither were always going to be doomed either way probably.

Wither has like, the most one-note unworkable power and narrative in existence. His power was literally just murder, there was no middle ground. His story was always going to be to learn to live like a hermit, or accept you WILL accidentally murder/disfigure people on a regular basis. It was a less interesting Rogue story, since there was no absorption or shared minds or anything. It was just the angst and guilt. Then you have all the super hero fights, where Wither's presence is 'GUYS IM GONNA DO IT, IM GONNA TAKE THE GLOVE OFF' then someone else would go 'NO DON'T DO IT WITHER, YOU ARE BETTER THEN THIS' and then nothing. He was always either going to stay a moral man and peace out to a cabin in the woods or something, or let the power consume him and end up where he ended up. The power and story was just to binary.

Tag had a similar problem, but less that his power was overwhelming but rather that it was utterly underwhelming. His entire powerset was like, a tiny subset of the typical telepathic suite available to heroes. 'Run away!' or 'Dog pile on!'. That was IT. It was the same with his personal narrative, there was very little going on really. He was a loyal and trust worthy friend, but didn't have any real ambitions, needs or desires. At least not relative to some of the other kids. Which is fine, not everyone can be front and center, but in the end he was a quick gimmick that didn't really have much room to grow. Of course he didn't need to DIE, they could have just removed his powers and sent him home, maybe send the occasional text to his friends or whatever.

Sofia didn't die... but she went on a long and weird ride that is outside the scope of this thread probably.
    She went from this:
    Sofia_Mantega_(Earth-616)_005.jpg

To This:
    Sofia_Mantega_(Earth-616)_as_Renascence_01.jpg

Sofia was the Dani Moonstar of the group adn what was done with her was tragic. The BIGGEST mistake that Yost/Kyle did was getting rid of her

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Exactly what it says on the tite, choose vote for your favorite young X men / Next gen X men team
    You can choose more than one so only choose those you like

1. New Mutants
    (Sunspot, Cannonball, Dani, Magik, Magma, Rahne, Cipher, Warlock)

2. Generation X
    ( Jubilee , M, Husk , Chamber, Skin, Synch, Hollow/ penance)

3. X Terminators
    (Rusty, Skids, Boom Boom, Rictor, Archie, Leech, Wiz kid)

4. New X Men
    (Hellion, Surge, Pixie, Wind Dancer, X 23, Rockslide, Anole, Dust, Mercury, Wither, Elixir, etc)

5. Generation Hope (Five lights)

6. JGS Students
    (Oya, Omega Kid, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Armor, Shark Girl, Evan)

7. NXS Students
    (Tempus, Triage, Goldballs, Hijack, Morph, Stepfords sisters)

8. All New X men (RAAAAGE)
    (Tyke, Jeen, Iceboy, birdboy, CubBeast)
    With the sole exceptions of Morph, Jubilee, Magick, the Stepford Sisters and Hellion, all of these characters are utterly bland, uninteresting and one-dimensional. The teen versions of the original five are abominations. The New Mutants suck as they always did. None of them come even close the A-List X-Men. There is just no merit or value in any of them other than the one's who've distinguished themselves as X-Men properly, which I've named. The only other mutants who are young (either teenage or early twenties), dynamic and actually interesting are Nate Grey and Rachel Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    With the sole exceptions of Morph, Jubilee, Magick, the Stepford Sisters and Hellion, all of these characters are utterly bland, uninteresting and one-dimensional. The teen versions of the original five are abominations. The New Mutants suck as they always did. None of them come even close the A-List X-Men. There is just no merit or value in any of them other than the one's who've distinguished themselves as X-Men properly, which I've named. The only other mutants who are young (either teenage or early twenties), dynamic and actually interesting are Nate Grey and Rachel Grey.
    But Monet has established herself as a adult X-Men properly. Has the most consistent publication here since 2006 other then Magik. Comparatively, we'll never see Morph again.

BANNED

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    But Monet has established herself as a adult X-Men properly. Has the most consistent publication here since 2006 other then Magik. Comparatively, we'll never see Morph again.
    I agree with you 100% about Monet St. Croix. But she wasn't mentioned directly by the OP.

I've a book in my head; starring Hellion, Monet, The Stepfords, Morph (why not? AoA version will do), Jubilee, Magick, Nate Grey and Rachel Summers.

Maybe I'm the only one who'd buy it, lol. But maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    I agree with you 100% about Monet St. Croix. But she wasn't mentioned directly by the OP.

I've a book in my head; starring Hellion, Monet, The Stepfords, Morph (why not? AoA version will do), Jubilee, Magick, Nate Grey and Rachel Summers.

Maybe I'm the only one who'd buy it, lol. But maybe not.
    Nate Grey was dynamic when he was a complete newcomer to the Earth-616, didn't trust anyone and kept getting into fights. Being depowered for a teambook was the worst thing for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Quoted for truth, yo.

The best group in basically every way. If only Armor was part of the group, but that would've been too much awesome.
    Any team would have been cooler with Armor in it, she was kinda put to the side for NXM though I don't know if she was supposed to be an upperclassmen by then or something or maybe she was on a team we don't really see but it's kinda a shame she was mostly a wallpaper character that had the odd line, I always liked the idea of her being the good kid who always excels at school and always does what the teachers tell her,follows orders etc since we always get so many teenage rebel characters she's a nice foil to that. She was willing to put aside rules for the right thing though when she volunteered to go with them to get revenge on the purifiers instead of ratting them out, I don't know if she was in another book at the time and that's why she didn't feature much in New X Men or they just felt their Asian character quota was full with one student and one advisor.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Any team would have been cooler with Armor in it, she was kinda put to the side for NXM though I don't know if she was supposed to be an upperclassmen by then or something or maybe she was on a team we don't really see but it's kinda a shame she was mostly a wallpaper character that had the odd line, I always liked the idea of her being the good kid who always excels at school and always does what the teachers tell her,follows orders etc since we always get so many teenage rebel characters she's a nice foil to that. She was willing to put aside rules for the right thing though when she volunteered to go with them to get revenge on the purifiers instead of ratting them out, I don't know if she was in another book at the time and that's why she didn't feature much in New X Men or they just felt their Asian character quota was full with one student and one advisor.
    She didn't really fulfill a role not already taken by other characters, plus she was Joss Whedon's pet student over in Astonishing, so was never really integrated with the other students.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Sofia was the Dani Moonstar of the group adn what was done with her was tragic. The BIGGEST mistake that Yost/Kyle did was getting rid of her
    Not really. With her gone, we got Hellion and X-23 shenanigans, lol.

Also, I think the point of the story was to break these kids down in a way most of the other student generations haven't. Sofia not being a part of that...eh. I don't think she would've added anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Nate Grey was dynamic when he was a complete newcomer to the Earth-616, didn't trust anyone and kept getting into fights. Being depowered for a teambook was the worst thing for the character.
    Absolutely, yes it was.

Hopefully that will be rectified and he will be restored to his former power-level and badass attitude with new, ongoing developments in the X-Men continuity.

No character is too powerful to write a good story about.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    She didn't really fulfill a role not already taken by other characters, plus she was Joss Whedon's pet student over in Astonishing, so was never really integrated with the other students.
    I guess that run was around the same time as these other students being introduced, I looked it up on wiki and apparently Armor was in the Paladins squad with Kitty Pryde as her advisor along with Blindfold during that NXM run, I'm not even sure that was announced anywhere lol but yeah she's had a lot of coverage in other books even more recently in WatXM and ANXM the one before the Hopeless run so it's not like she's been out of things as much as some other characters from the same era.

Not sure where she was last seen, last I recall she was knocked out her Armor and couldn't use it anymore and morning Logan by breaking Julian's nose.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Ultimate Member

Man, we got the X-Terminators but not the Fallen Angels?

Not that I'd pick any of them, or anything. Ariel? Devil Dinosaur? Cyborg Lobsters? Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Man, we got the X-Terminators but not the Fallen Angels?

Not that I'd pick any of them, or anything. Ariel? Devil Dinosaur? Cyborg Lobsters? Oy.
    They weren't an X-team and the series really had no relevance to the X-world. Its understandable why the X-terminators are included (being an X-factor trainee group which went on to merge with the New Mutants) and why Fallen Angels are excluded