Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I've now watched both of the episodes that have aired so far and I must say that I'm enjoying this show, I really am. But there has been literally zero reason for this to be X-Men related show. All you would have to do is change the main character's name and remove all references to these powered people being mutants and you would hardly even realize that this show has any kind of connection to X-Men franchise (any version of it). I know it's still early and they might reveal more in the upcoming episodes which I am truly excited to see regardless. It's just the x-fan in me being disappointed that we finally get an X-Men related show and it doesn't have anything to do with X-Men (and from the way it is going it may not have in the future either).

And I'm not saying that I'm expecting any big X-Men characters to appear. I'm just fine with them focusing on one c-list x-character and most of the supporting characters being completely original characters. But from what I can tell David's character and his background have been changed so much from what it is in the comics that it doesn't really bear much resemblance to him. Only thing these 2 have in common is that they are powerful mutants struggling with powers so great that it has unhinged their minds. But that's pretty much it.

To me that isn't reason enough to call this show Legion or call this character David Haller. But let's wait and see what future beholds for this show! For all we know at this point they might reveal some more concrete connections to x-verse in the upcoming episodes! And even if they don't (I wouldn't be surprised by it), well, I'll just enjoy this show for what it is. And in any case, it will scratch my itch for shows about superpowered characters (who are struggling with their powers while running from shadowy government forces).

It is disappointing if there's going to be zero connection to his comic backstory. Spurrier made me fall in love with the character and I'd love to see Ruth make an appearance someday. It's disheartening to hear that Noah Hawley isn't interested in doing more with the comic story. Seriously - why use the X-name or character if you're not going to pull upon the source material in any significant way?

But honestly I have low expectations when it comes to X anything in live action media. The movies seem more loosely based off the comics than anything with a couple exceptions. I can't say I expected anything different with the shows. I really enjoyed the first two episodes so I can't complain much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    It is disappointing if there's going to be zero connection to his comic backstory. Spurrier made me fall in love with the character and I'd love to see Ruth make an appearance someday. It's disheartening to hear that Noah Hawley isn't interested in doing more with the comic story. Seriously - why use the X-name or character if you're not going to pull upon the source material in any significant way?

But honestly I have low expectations when it comes to X anything in live action media. The movies seem more loosely based off the comics than anything with a couple exceptions. I can't say I expected anything different with the shows. I really enjoyed the first two episodes so I can't complain much.
    kinda like those comic book movies where the actors are told not to read any of the comic books for reference....then why make it based off those characters?!

I Guess people really hope comic book nerds are stupid enough to watch anything that has a comic book name on it

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Nah, I like Legion to be in it's own self contained universe. Making connection with movies just seems pointless to me.
    Ditto. Shedding the dead weight of the X-Film franchise had done nothing other than benefit the show thus far. Last thing I want is anyone from the Singer-verse to pop up for the fanwank aspect. Let it live on its own. Hell at most let there be an X-Verse on tv completely separate from the one in films.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

3rd episode is a wild ride thru David's memories. Looks like the devil with yellow eyes could be based off Shadow King. Seems fear is a trigger for teleportation. The eye seems to be able to see astral projections. I loved how the doors in the house of David's memories all lead to different memories at different times of his life.

I think I'm honestly going to have nightmares about the Yellow Eyed Fat Man and the Angriest Boy for as long as I live. Scary stuff.
    I think I'm leaning towards the idea that the YEFM is Shadow King

Why Shadow King? What clues?

3rd epi certainly ramped up things.

The fear theme is interesting, for in my own personal life, fear has played a big part, same with David.

When you are child, and you experience fear, it doesnt leave you. Thats the truth.

"That b#$%h's secrets have secrets."

That's pretty much a direct quote from The Avengers. I think there were also some references to Inception-"memory within a memory"

I like how aspect ratio changes.

This show is knocking it out of the park, at least for now.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Why Shadow King? What clues?

3rd epi certainly ramped up things.

The fear theme is interesting, for in my own personal life, fear has played a big part, same with David.

When you are child, and you experience fear, it doesnt leave you. Thats the truth.
    One thing i noticed about the devil with yellow eyes is in the kitchen scene he has a black aura surrounding him, and most of his appearances have been in dark places. I agree with you on the fear component.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I will check out the 3rd episode. But so far it feels very far away from anything related to the X-Men.

Also it's really confusing to get what's real and now and what's unreal and in the past. Maybe it's my little brain that just cannot cope.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    One thing i noticed about the devil with yellow eyes is in the kitchen scene he has a black aura surrounding him, and most of his appearances have been in dark places. I agree with you on the fear component.
    I get the feeling that it might be very intentional chain yanking.

They have said this is not taking place in the Fox "616" cinematic universe.

Episode 3 fries your brains in a pan, and then serves it back up in a nice batter of David's scariest memories.

There was a TV set showing one of his memories, which looked like a stretched canvas held up by straps, like some roughly constructed structure. I can't help but going back to Mojo, with all the crazy TV screens thrown every which way. But then again, this is definitely looking like a much different villain. It's still too hard to tell.

Ugh...I watched this with the lights off, that was not the best idea I ever had.

BANNED

Umm, the third episode is without a doubt my favorite so far! It actually reminded me of New Mutants/Moonstar and Demon Bear.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Really dug this last episode... still got a nagging feeling everything we're seeing isnt real, but the show is rock solid. Very cinematic. Something tells me outside of being able to touch in David's mind, when he and Sydney finally get to sleep together, their going to feel like what it's like from other side... if you get what I mean. The show has such an out-of-body-psychedelic narrative, that would actually fit in well. I think the dock scene foreshadowed as much.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.