Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Crucible:- Quiet Council How did they vote ?

So in celebration of X-Men 7 and the Quiet Council I want to see if users are able to come up with an explanation for each member of the Quiet Council and how they voted.

The caveat is I want to see if you can come up with a reason for the member voting the opposite way you think?

And the reason I say this is because Storm and Xavier even though intuitively they may have voted against it. They do seem very into it and involved in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    So in celebration of X-Men 7 and the Quiet Council I want to see if users are able to come up with an explanation for each member of the Quiet Council and how they voted.

The caveat is I want to see if you can come up with a reason for the member voting the opposite way you think?

And the reason I say this is because Storm and Xavier even though intuitively they may have voted against it. They do seem very into it and involved in it.
    Urgh.

I want to give a lot of people the benefit of doubt. Let's start with the crazies.

I'm guessing these people voted for the crucible
    Apocalypse - survival of the fittest nonsense
    Exodus - He can't resist any opportunity for culty nonsense
    Sinister - just for shots and giggles
    Mystique - she probably doesn't even care and just wants to burn everything
    Shaw- it's Shaw. Urgh

So kitty's dead, so she's not involved. I'm hoping Krakoa/doug didn't involve themselves

So we have
    Jean, Storm, Emma, Kurt not voting.

I really want to say Xavier and Magneto would be against this, but urgh it's those two. They're pragmatists. I think they would have voted yes.

A (formerly known as Apocalypse) - Yes most likely his idea
    Sinister - Yes for the lolz
    Mystique- Yes because why not
    Shaw- Yes so maybe he can spread influence with those who don't have powers yet but will through the crucible
    Exodus- Yes more powerful mutants the better
    Magneto- Yes more mutants that can fight the better
    Xavier - Yes same reason as Magneto

Those are the 7 they need

Everyone else votes no

I definitely agree it was Apocalypses idea
    I think the reasoning that more mutants means more commodities would mean yes from Shaw is reasonable
    I think Exodus would find it poet that they die and are born mutants
    Sinister yes as there's more DNA

Mystique I don't know, she's unstable sure but there's an argument for it that she just wants chaos and I don't know if she'd feel the same way if Rogue was the one being put through it. Unless of course she knew the outcome as per Destiny.

Same for Emma, as dying and coming back. Its traumatic one, and two is it full proof? And she's seen enough of her students die.

Xavier and Storm were fairly active in the Ceremony so I don't know.

Xavier and Magneto also have Moira to guide their decisions so most likely yes.

Now if Xavier voted yes would the others break away

Kate had no vote

I think this would be the more interesting take

Yay
    Apocalypse
    Sinister
    Exodus
    Shaw
    Xavier
    Magneto
    Storm

Abstain
    Kate

Nay
    Mystique
    Emma Frost
    Nightcrawler
    Jean Grey

The only reason I think Storm may have voted yes is because she's so active in the process. As a child she fought tooth and nail to survive. Understands through combat being a right of passage
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 03-01-2020 at 06:24 PM.

I would hope that Jean voted "no" along with Nightcrawler but these days I am not certain. Same with Emma and Storm. So much has changed and the resurrection of all the depowered mutants is a problem. So doing it in a ceremony kind of makes sense and they get to die as gladiators (so they don't have to kill themselves I guess - is there suicide shaming going on at Krakoa)?

Astonishing Member

I'd hope Kitty would vote no.

I don't think Kate has been able to cast a vote at present

Astonishing Member

Magneto,Xavier,Apocalypse,Exodus,Sinister and Storm voted YES
    Emma,Jean and Nightcrawler voted NO

Mystique and Shaw abstained .I think Mystique because she sees no point in the lip service yet Irene is not back,Shaw probably fears that ressurecting of depowered mutants will only complicate his Hellfire schemes and also shine a light on How to ressurrect Kate and he doesn't want that.

Astonishing Member

Why did Storm vote yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Why did Storm vote yes?
    Of course Storm voted yes. She's the only Mutant on the council to lose and regain her powers. Went a long time leading the X-Men without them and did go through her crucible to get the back and died. So yeah. I could see Storm being a little iffy on it, but not out right against it.

Magneto: A very obvious Yea. He believes in mutant supremacy and Krakoa, and mutant supremacy requires powers. Having to fight and die professing your loyalty to Krakoa is right up his alley. It confirms the repowered mutant isn't a secret human agent or sympathizer, and the resurrected mutant is fiercely loyal to the nation-state.

Xavier: Another obvious Yea, from the jump he has been all about mutants and their gifts. He would of course see them repowered, and since the Crucible also deals with an ugly situation (mass suicide) the ritualized violence & suicide is accepted.

Apocalypse: It's his proposal, he's a Yea.

Storm: As others have said, Storm has been depowered, grew up fighting to survive on the streets as a child. The appeal to her is quite obvious. She is 100% in on seemingly all ritual and spiritual aspects of Krakoa's process. To her repowering being easy would not be true to her life experience, and she likely believes the suffering made her stronger.

Emma Frost: She's a massively wealthy, privileged white woman. Her stance on humans is very similar to Apocalypse and Exodus, so that and her socioeconomic position would inform her position. She likely believes mutants are the upper class top dogs on the planet, so her position would be one of keeping the rabble (depowered mutants) out unless they prove themselves worthwhile. Yea.

Mystique: She doesn't give a crap, she's probably sour that Irene hasn't been revived and would vote Yea just for Krakoans to suffer to be brought back to life.

Shaw: I don't know where he would stand really, but a point put forward about him seeing mutants as commodities really grabbed me.

Sinister: Yea, because more DNA and more meat for doing creepy crap with.

Kurt: Clearly voted against the current thing, especially since his proposal was roundly rejected.

Jean: I'm pretty sure Jean would argue pretty hard against the whole concept of the Crucible.

Yay
    Apocalypse
    Sinister
    Exodus
    Shaw
    Xavier
    Magneto
    Storm
    Mystique

Not Present
    Kitty [But her current vicious attitude probably would make her vote Yay were she ever there to vote]

Nay
    Emma Frost [I seriously doubt Emma would want to watch children be brutally killed even if it means getting their mutant powers back]
    Nightcrawler
    Jean Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Everyone saying Jean would have voted no... but here's the thing. She's been a cosmic avatar of death and rebirth. She's already taken the difficult choice of killing herself when she lost control of her body, her identity, her soul and her very being. She understands the hell it can be when you have lost yourself because of something done to you by an external force.

She also knows that once the resurrection protocols were revealed, the depowered mutants who chose the Crucible would very well kill themselves anyway, in a more chaotic and uncontrolled environment. She was the first one to chastise the mutants for letting Krakoa let them become careless and less vigilant when Xavier was assassinated. She would take a hard stance against a situation where depowered mutants the world over killed themselves at once and it would become a logistical nightmare to track all of the dead, retrieve all of their DNA/memories (?) and resurrect them at once or in quick succession. The Crucible, no matter how ugly it is, is very effective in preventing this disastrous scenario.

Based on these two factors, I could see Jean abstaining because she is torn or voting yes with emphasising the point that The Crucible has to be a choice.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.

I think you are wrong with Mystique. She wants Destiny to be resurrected. Allow the Five to waste time with nonsense? Totally against.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Everyone saying Jean would have voted no... but here's the thing. She's been a cosmic avatar of death and rebirth. She's already taken the difficult choice of killing herself when she lost control of her body, her identity, her soul and her very being. She understands the hell it can be when you have lost yourself because of something done to you by an external force.

She also knows that once the resurrection protocols were revealed, the depowered mutants who chose the Crucible would very well kill themselves anyway, in a more chaotic and uncontrolled environment. She was the first one to chastise the mutants for letting Krakoa let them become careless and less vigilant when Xavier was assassinated. She would take a hard stance against a situation where depowered mutants the world over killed themselves at once and it would become a logistical nightmare to track all of the dead, retrieve all of their DNA/memories (?) and resurrect them at once or in quick succession. The Crucible, no matter how ugly it is, is very effective in preventing this disastrous scenario.

Based on these two factors, I could see Jean abstaining because she is torn or voting yes with emphasising the point that The Crucible has to be a choice.
    You may be right about Jean. In X-force 3 Jean discussed her view/relationship with death so she may feel differently than Nightcrawler. I wish Hickman would reveal how they voted. I want to see more of the council and their debates.