Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It was a little cheesy, but series finals can get away with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    When it comes to Cary/Kerry, I was always under the impression that however they were born, it was at the same time.

In my head, they each aged as they were outside while the one that was "Inside..." did not. Chalked it up to one of them having been outside for a lot more time than the other.
    That’s what I thought to, I thought it was mentioned in the show but can’t remember when. I thought Kerri had said she didn’t like all the mundane everyday stuff, so she stayed ‘in’ more than carey. So carey aged more than her

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I wasn't sure how this was going to end, but I thought what they did was very satisfying. Hopeful and emotional, and I think that was the best way to go.

The way this show used psionic abilities was fantastic. Nothing can compare to the Shadow King and Legion's face off last season, but I loved when David and Charles pulled those weapons out of their heads. Would love to see Hawley do more in the mutant world in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Yeah, I didnt like it. Too neat and tidy. Farouk too angelic at the end.

The narrative disaster of the second season hurt this show beyond repair. I sorta wish I wouldve stopped after the brilliant first season. (Though Negahban was freaking fantastic. What a waste of perfection in an actor/character combo)
    Once they changed Gabrielle Haller's trajectory (from the comic books), they kind of boxed themselves into a corner as to David's fate. He either destroys the world b/c of the Shadow King, or he moves forward without the trauma that caused the DID (dissociative identity disorder). If Gabrielle is "Mrs. Xavier" and lives happily with her husband (although there's the hint that she will still have a mental breakdown at some point), all the things that affected comic-book David will never happen. (That is, Gabrielle kept David a secret from Xavier, they were never married and in fact she became pregnant as the result of a highly inappropriate doctor-patient hook-up. She was a single mom career-woman living through times of terrorism and war, Israeli ambassador to GB and she lived in different places around the world with her eventual husband, Dr. David Shomron, etc.)

There's still Harry Lloyd's Charles obsessiveness, though. Like in the comics, if he founds the X-Men, becomes obsessed with the school and the young mutants, neglects his own wife and son--things that happened with Amelia Voght in the comics--this could affect the FX Legion story. Also, one can only imagine all the hardships that will ensue (as in the comics) once governments and secret organizations get wind of Charles Xavier's school for mutants in the FX mutant-verse. But all that's speculation.

As for Farouk, it was an interesting time paradox. Nice Farouk who was helping older Syd got that way because he gave his younger, more evil self a blast of insight via those glasses. But the Shadow King in LEGION was always a survivor, a run-away-to-play-another-day kind of powerful mutant. That's why he hid from Xavier in David's mind to begin with. He didn't want to fight Xavier because he knew he'd be destroyed. So my interpretation of the ending of the series is, Farouk was facing both David AND Xavier in a fight and he brought out the beer instead of the weapon and put on the best show (remember, he likes putting on shows) possible to convince Xavier he wasn't a threat any longer. He knew Xavier's weakness (if you want to call it a weakness) for giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, for believing in redemption and change, for being non-violent, so he played it up big. I don't think he's really changed at all.

Also, when is the LEGION series supposed to be taking place? At first I thought Xavier was shown fighting in some unnamed European conflict, and Gabrielle was in "camps" and the series opens in current times, or at least David is a young man in the 2000s. But I was rewatching some of the episodes of the 3rd season last night, and it definitely seemed Xavier was in a World War II British army uniform, and David was born in the 1950s (making him the same age as I am). So, did this series take place in the 1970s? I was reading the LEGION Wiki and apparently both Cary and Oliver were young men in the 1940s! Melanie and Oliver were married in the 1940s! So the first season, Summerland, Division 3, all that's taking place in the 1970s? Sydney would be applying for Social Security in 2019? The Loudermilks were born in the 1920s and would be in their 90s today?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Also, when is the LEGION series supposed to be taking place? At first I thought Xavier was shown fighting in some unnamed European conflict, and Gabrielle was in "camps" and the series opens in current times, or at least David is a young man in the 2000s. But I was rewatching some of the episodes of the 3rd season last night, and it definitely seemed Xavier was in a World War II British army uniform, and David was born in the 1950s (making him the same age as I am). So, did this series take place in the 1970s? I was reading the LEGION Wiki and apparently both Cary and Oliver were young men in the 1940s! Melanie and Oliver were married in the 1940s! So the first season, Summerland, Division 3, all that's taking place in the 1970s? Sydney would be applying for Social Security in 2019? The Loudermilks were born in the 1920s and would be in their 90s today?
    The setting of Legion is vague to say the least. It pretty gleefully mixes 21st and middle-late 20th century technologies and fashions, while Ptonomy was using a Thompson in the first season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The setting of Legion is vague to say the least. It pretty gleefully mixes 21st and middle-late 20th century technologies and fashions, while Ptonomy was using a Thompson in the first season.
    It's a timey-wimey thing. (After the time demons showed up, the first thought I had--seriously--was the BBC needs to get Noah Hawley to produce and direct a season of Doctor Who.)

BANNED

Once they changed Gabrielle Haller's trajectory (from the comic books), they kind of boxed themselves into a corner as to David's fate. He either destroys the world b/c of the Shadow King, or he moves forward without the trauma that caused the DID (dissociative identity disorder). If Gabrielle is "Mrs. Xavier" and lives happily with her husband (although there's the hint that she will still have a mental breakdown at some point), all the things that affected comic-book David will never happen. (That is, Gabrielle kept David a secret from Xavier, they were never married and in fact she became pregnant as the result of a highly inappropriate doctor-patient hook-up. She was a single mom career-woman living through times of terrorism and war, Israeli ambassador to GB and she lived in different places around the world with her eventual husband, Dr. David Shomron, etc.)

There's still Harry Lloyd's Charles obsessiveness, though. Like in the comics, if he founds the X-Men, becomes obsessed with the school and the young mutants, neglects his own wife and son--things that happened with Amelia Voght in the comics--this could affect the FX Legion story. Also, one can only imagine all the hardships that will ensue (as in the comics) once governments and secret organizations get wind of Charles Xavier's school for mutants in the FX mutant-verse. But all that's speculation.

As for Farouk, it was an interesting time paradox. Nice Farouk who was helping older Syd got that way because he gave his younger, more evil self a blast of insight via those glasses. But the Shadow King in LEGION was always a survivor, a run-away-to-play-another-day kind of powerful mutant. That's why he hid from Xavier in David's mind to begin with. He didn't want to fight Xavier because he knew he'd be destroyed. So my interpretation of the ending of the series is, Farouk was facing both David AND Xavier in a fight and he brought out the beer instead of the weapon and put on the best show (remember, he likes putting on shows) possible to convince Xavier he wasn't a threat any longer. He knew Xavier's weakness (if you want to call it a weakness) for giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, for believing in redemption and change, for being non-violent, so he played it up big. I don't think he's really changed at all.
    I can see that, but it felt forced. He was straight up evil most of the second season and now we're supposed to believe he's seen the error of his ways?

I don't know, in the end the series delved into too much fluff. The first season was eccentric and crazy but was coherent and purposeful. These last two seasons seemed self-indulgent and meandering. As I read Hawley interviews it becomes even more clear he didn't have a narrative arc in mind from the beginning. He was winging it and, by the end, it showed. David's "sorry" might have been the most meaningless "sorry" I've ever heard uttered in a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I can see that, but it felt forced. He was straight up evil most of the second season and now we're supposed to believe he's seen the error of his ways?

I don't know, in the end the series delved into too much fluff. The first season was eccentric and crazy but was coherent and purposeful. These last two seasons seemed self-indulgent and meandering. As I read Hawley interviews it becomes even more clear he didn't have a narrative arc in mind from the beginning. He was winging it and, by the end, it showed. David's "sorry" might have been the most meaningless "sorry" I've ever heard uttered in a TV show.
    I didn't know that about Hawley; I did think that his claim of having 3 seasons in mind from the start didn't ring true only because the 3rd season seemed to create so many loose threads of its own. (Like what happened to Lenny--given the importance of the character and her popularity, why didn't we get to see some closure for her beyond a bloody suicide?) Well, my brain always tries to find the narrative purpose and oftentimes if I like a movie, tv show, book, or comic (and/or like the creators involved) I try to impose my own sense of importance and order on something that may not really have either.

BANNED

I didn't know that about Hawley; I did think that his claim of having 3 seasons in mind from the start didn't ring true only because the 3rd season seemed to create so many loose threads of its own. (Like what happened to Lenny--given the importance of the character and her popularity, why didn't we get to see some closure for her beyond a bloody suicide?) Well, my brain always tries to find the narrative purpose and oftentimes if I like a movie, tv show, book, or comic (and/or like the creators involved) I try to impose my own sense of importance and order on something that may not really have either.
    Here is the interview that rubs me the wrong way.

Lenny was definitely a standout misfire of the third season. I'm pretty devoted to all things Hawley, but he very much tanked this show after season 1. He has big ideas and interesting concepts, but he didn't land them as a narrative. This would've been better as some kind of 1 hour, stand alone anthology of some kind. As a narrative, it was pretty terrible in the end.

I liked the beats of the episode and the two Xaviers and two Farouks, but for a series finale, I wanted more closure. Carry and Kerry was nice (Old Woman Kerry!), but no appearance from either Lenny or Ptonomy? I knew Melanie and Oliver were gone, but I really grew to like these supporting players.

I guess everyone will fade away back to the points were they were born? It's not clear that Kerry and Cary will relive their lives as well. It's all back to a point where David is a baby, Charles Xavier comes home, and says he'll be a teacher instead of a world-traveler looking for other mutants. Syd is younger than David, but what about Kerry? Does she go back to her childhood? The cool thing is, I think they will all meet again.
    I had to rewatch the final scene between Kerry and Cary. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but I got the impression that rather than just Cary being born with Kerry being an extension of him, that they would both be born as brother and sister. Is that right?

In the Marvel Television Universe David becomes David Xavier, no longer Haller. There are no more Hallers in his life because he won't be adopted.
    So he'll never meet Amy? Bummer.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Went back and listened to some of the scenes involving music, i said dang they good job incorporating music in the show. Some scenes were straight up videos of music . I'm going to miss the musical numbers.

They mix and match elements from different time periods. The clothes and cars look like they are from the 60s. In season 1, the soldiers after David had modern-day weapons and tech, yet Cary's lab has CRT monitors in his lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I always assumed it took place in Stanley Kubrick's future world with ClockWork Orange and 2001 a Space Odyssey with it's visuals.

I'm with TheLeviathan - season 1 is great, season 2 pretty much destroyed it for me. I think season 3 had a lot of good bits, particularly I liked Xavier and Gabrielle, and Navid Negabahn was incredible (reminds me of Roger Delgado's Master from 70's Doctor Who) but the story... that didn't work for me at all, especially Farouk having become good. Did the writers forget that only last season he was a monster?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm with TheLeviathan - season 1 is great, season 2 pretty much destroyed it for me. I think season 3 had a lot of good bits, particularly I liked Xavier and Gabrielle, and Navid Negabahn was incredible (reminds me of Roger Delgado's Master from 70's Doctor Who) but the story... that didn't work for me at all, especially Farouk having become good. Did the writers forget that only last season he was a monster?
    I get why people fell in love with how quirky it was. I dug it too, it was quite unique.

I'm not sure how anyone, with a straight face, can call this anything but a poor story though. By the end all the good storytelling they did in season 1 was lost in a sea of gags and self-indulgence. It's too bad really.