Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    Pretty much. At this point, he/she might just see itself as the entity of Shadow King rather than the person (gender specific). Its a psychic being after all.
    You're the real MVP Maddie.

Stop with the gender talk for goodness sake! It's the Shadow King he doesn't even have a freakin body. His "sexuality" isn't in question because he doesn't have one. His attitude towards David is to cause chaos and to screw with his head or someone around him ie Sidney. Anything it says or does cannot be trusted or relied upon. Faruq may have started life as a man but that ended the moment he shed his body, and that was probably hundreds of years ago. Shadow King is the name of an entity now.

Now... Who's taking bets that all these characters, Sidney, Ptonomy, Kerry, Walter, Ms Bird etc, are all personalities?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    You're the real MVP Maddie.

Stop with the gender talk for goodness sake! It's the Shadow King he doesn't even have a freakin body. His "sexuality" isn't in question because he doesn't have one. His attitude towards David is to cause chaos and to screw with his head or someone around him ie Sidney. Anything it says or does cannot be trusted or relied upon. Faruq may have started life as a man but that ended the moment he shed his body, and that was probably hundreds of years ago. Shadow King is the name of an entity now.

Now... Who's taking bets that all these characters, Sidney, Ptonomy, Kerry, Walter, Ms Bird etc, are all personalities?
    I wouldn't like it if that happened. That'd be a cheap twist.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I wouldn't like it if that happened. That'd be a cheap twist.
    How would it be cheap? Obvious perhaps, but cheap? This is Legion. We all knew what we were getting into before we started watching. He's a schizo. Has been since he absorbed the minds of dying terrorists. I think Carey took it few steps further than I would have liked but Spurrier ran with that and I believe was a huge influence on the show. I don't want that to happen either, I've developed an attachment to Sidney and it would break my heart to find out she's not real. At the same time it wouldn't mean the character would disappear. We know Legion actively lives with these different personalities within his mind. That'd be nuts to have a relationship with yourself.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Well does it matter at this point if they are real or not? These entities have their own personalities, their own hopes and dreams and their own relationship with David and the other characters we see. Those experiences are real whether they take place in what we call the real world or whether they take place inside David's head. In effect, even if they are not a part of the real world as we define it, the are like living in the matrix. The relationships and experiences in the matrix are still happened and still shaped and formed who people were even if technically it wasn't their physical bodies experience it but just their minds.

But I suppose if split personalities within the same human being viewed as equally real experiences than normal human interactions that occur in the physical world is too difficult a concept for people to accept then I would maybe just split the difference and have Syd and the others be psychic entities on the astral plane that interact with David because of his powers. I suppose in that way they can be real in the sense that they are separate psychic entities while still exploring the concept of whether experiences are equally valid even if they are happening within someone's head.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Personally I want the cast to be real and not from Davids mind. If they were personalities in the end, average viewers not common with the source material will have no idea what's going on because the idea that David has the power to produce multiple people hasn't been hugely explored. We see scenes of David clutching his head in pain with people screaming at him, but other than that and his 'schizophrenia' we haven't seen much as this series has pretty much been entirely about Shadow King rather than his personalities.

Looks like the show was lucky to change direction from its original plans.

Aubrey Plaza's Legion role was originally written for a middle-aged man

This show is nothing short of amazing. I can't believe how they've managed to keep their insane aesthetic - Wes Anderson + 12 Monkeys - episode after episode while still managing to move the story forward.

It's great seeing them find inspiration from all the major stories about Legion in the comics, and I especially like how, here, the Shadow King has kind of been mixed with the Yellow Guy from Spurrier's run.

I could go on and on.

-Pav, who won't...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    How would it be cheap? Obvious perhaps, but cheap? This is Legion. We all knew what we were getting into before we started watching. He's a schizo. Has been since he absorbed the minds of dying terrorists. I think Carey took it few steps further than I would have liked but Spurrier ran with that and I believe was a huge influence on the show. I don't want that to happen either, I've developed an attachment to Sidney and it would break my heart to find out she's not real. At the same time it wouldn't mean the character would disappear. We know Legion actively lives with these different personalities within his mind. That'd be nuts to have a relationship with yourself.
    I would hate it the show had no supportive cast and EVERYONE was a personality of David. With that said, in the first episode I thought Sidney was a personality/projection of David. Notice how the other characters like Kary/Kerry, Ptomley, and Ms. Bird all have pasts, and even the eye does, but we still don't know about Sidney's past. She could still be an independent person and maybe the writers have gotten around to it, but she could also be a personality of David. It would fit the theme of the show. Maybe he created Sidney to help him break free of the Shadow King?

Or again, perhaps David just got lucky and met the right girl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnC95 View Post
    Personally I want the cast to be real and not from Davids mind. If they were personalities in the end, average viewers not common with the source material will have no idea what's going on because the idea that David has the power to produce multiple people hasn't been hugely explored. We see scenes of David clutching his head in pain with people screaming at him, but other than that and his 'schizophrenia' we haven't seen much as this series has pretty much been entirely about Shadow King rather than his personalities.
    Agreed. In the second season they can explore more of what the people screaming at him might be (other personalities) but meanwhile, the show needs actual support cast besides David!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I would hate it the show had no supportive cast and EVERYONE was a personality of David. With that said, in the first episode I thought Sidney was a personality/projection of David. Notice how the other characters like Kary/Kerry, Ptomley, and Ms. Bird all have pasts, and even the eye does, but we still don't know about Sidney's past. She could still be an independent person and maybe the writers have gotten around to it, but she could also be a personality of David. It would fit the theme of the show. Maybe he created Sidney to help him break free of the Shadow King?

Or again, perhaps David just got lucky and met the right girl.
    The problem with that is we clearly see other characters interact with Syd independently of David, including when he's not even on-camera. ESPECIALLY the nurses who handled her medication at Clockworks. If Syd — and ONLY Syd — was a personality and projection of David's that shouldn't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The problem with that is we clearly see other characters interact with Syd independently of David, including when he's not even on-camera. ESPECIALLY the nurses who handled her medication at Clockworks. If Syd — and ONLY Syd — was a personality and projection of David's that shouldn't be the case.
    Unless he "made her real." It might be that his delusion has become reality, and maybe will stay that way until he realizes the truth.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the show does with Legion's background of having split personalities. So far, it seems like his only problem is having the Shadow King living in his head. Everything (and everyone) else seems pretty real - not delusions created by David. Yet those of us who know him from comics are expecting him to have split personalities and expect him to even reshape reality.

Whether or not our expectations will hold true remains to be seen. But we know we'll get at least a second season, and I am guessing that means maybe Shadow King is only the villain of this season. Who might come next?

-Pav, who honestly thinks Mojo could fit seamlessly into the aesthetic of this show...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Wow, I just watched the first two episodes of this. Forget superhero/Marvel/DC.. this might be the best show period on television right now!

Noah Hawley is a genius! Not surprised that the creator and showrunner of Fargo has hit it out of the park again.

OMG Im so happy there will be a season 2. I know we'll never get Xmen on this show but I would love Jamie Braddock to be a patient of Summerland or someone for David to interact with since they're both unstable...

So my face was stuck in this position the entire episode and I didn't even realize it. (O.O)
    Guild Member

This show just keeps getting better. It's like the creators channeled the essence of Spurrier's run. Can't wait to see how this season ends and looking forward to next season.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.