Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red face The Flash #9 Preview

From 13th Dimension,

http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-the-flash-9/

Looks interesting! Thoughts?

Heh, Barry's jealous .

I think it's sweet that Wally's apparently been leaving flowers for Iris as a "secret admirer." I hope she's able to remember him sooner rather then later .

Wally II doesn't know who The Flash is behind his mask? That feels like a shortsighted move on Barry's part, especially if they're going to be partners and have to, y'know, trust each other. Wally's idolizing him can only go so far.

Looking forward to seeing the two Wally's and Barry together .

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

From the Wally thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Very excited to see Wally, NuWally, and Barry confronting the altering of reality and what will happen going forward.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

edit: double post, please delete

Astonishing Member

It's interesting to see that Nu-Wally's need for someone to idolize has now been firmly fixed on Barry-as-Flash. First, it was Daniel, than it gradually became Barry, and now it's a full-fledged idolization of Flash.

On another note, it always strikes me as odd that Barry is such a loner. He comes off more a loner in practice than Batman/Bruce does in theory. Wally saying that Flash is on the unapproachable side brings attention to that.

Extraordinary Member

This just makes me miss Bart as Impulse.

And Jay. And Max. And Jesse...

I'm terrified. This can go so wrong. Or this can go very well. I'm not impressed by Williamson yet, his execution and plotting is very weak. However he has a good voice for classic Flash characters and I hope he understands how important this issue will be for the fans of Wally West.

And oh, those flowers shattered my heart into pieces. I hope Wally and Iris will reunite at the end of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's interesting to see that Nu-Wally's need for someone to idolize has now been firmly fixed on Barry-as-Flash. First, it was Daniel, than it gradually became Barry, and now it's a full-fledged idolization of Flash.
    It's pretty much inconsistent characterization of Wally. They are overdoing it after the backlash of initial introduction. If they did this two years ago, Rebirth would have never needed to happen. imho, nuWally doesn't have any sort of personality I can pick up. It's only going to get worse when they introduce Bart.

On another note, it always strikes me as odd that Barry is such a loner. He comes off more a loner in practice than Batman/Bruce does in theory. Wally saying that Flash is on the unapproachable side brings attention to that.
    That's what differs him from Wally and a proof that Williamson "gets him". Barry is a socially awkward person, he is introvert and deals things on his own. It's always been Iris's job to open him up to people. I think this has been the first time since Mark Waid that someone drew attention to Barry keeping himself inside walls. A welcome writing, really.

Compared to that Wally always seeks out other people and easy to befriend others. That's why he quickly went to Titans. Even when he was Flash, he surroundered himself with other heroes. I like that difference between Barry and Wally.

BANNED

This issue is so important for me that I don't even want to read the preview. If Williamson knows what he's doing, it will define Ginger Wally's role in the Flash family from here on, and make it clear that he's an important part of the DCU even with Barry around. Hopefully this will set up the Flash comics to expand beyond just focus on Barry and become more of a team effort from here on.

flash has been one of the biggest surprises to come out of the rebirth. never been that impressed with his solos outside of the mark waid wally west era. but ever since rebirth, this title has been really well-done.

looking forward to the two wallys meeting very much.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    This issue is so important for me that I don't even want to read the preview. If Williamson knows what he's doing, it will define Ginger Wally's role in the Flash family from here on, and make it clear that he's an important part of the DCU even with Barry around. Hopefully this will set up the Flash comics to expand beyond just focus on Barry and become more of a team effort from here on.
    I've never read any The Flash solo (yet), but I was getting a vague Batman (Barry)-Nightwing (Wally)-Robin (NuWally) vibe from that preview, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I've never read any The Flash solo (yet), but I was getting a vague Batman (Barry)-Nightwing (Wally)-Robin (NuWally) vibe from that preview, personally.
    I have been starting to look at Wally II as the Flash family equivalent to Tim.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    That would make the most sense. The only problem remaining would be the identical names for the characters. Distinguishing Ginger Wally from Nu Wally by calling him The Flash wouldn't work since Barry is also The Flash, and it doesn't look like they're changing either character's real name. So, I don't know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's pretty much inconsistent characterization of Wally. They are overdoing it after the backlash of initial introduction. If they did this two years ago, Rebirth would have never needed to happen. imho, nuWally doesn't have any sort of personality I can pick up. It's only going to get worse when they introduce Bart.
    I have to disagree with pretty much everything here, but I'll leave it at that, as your tone implies uncompromise and I'm pretty tired and a bit stressed to be indulging in too much negativity.

Interesting preview, art takes a bit of adjustment (I'm MELTING!!!) lol. Cute where NuWally was a bit jealous already of RedWally. But the Wally obsession continues, I see. People wanted him back. They got him, and don't like this that and the other. Stories have to breathe and grow. And while I agree Barry is a loner and RedWally is more sociable, characters grow beyond a template. Maybe folk need to write their own fanfiction so they can get exactly what they want all the time. Not sure where people are getting that Wally sent Iris the flowers. I myself like the dynamic of the characters playing off each other, which is what the flash family has always been about. The hypersensitivy about all things Wally is getting to be a drag, straight up. Do I like everything? No, but I'm willing to see where a lot of this goes. Barry's situation reminds me of the New God stuff, where they basically are slaves to a concept or 'power'. So they have no life other than what they are/do. Sound familiar? When Barry took days off things went haywire with the speedforce. The only real complaint I have is the writing regarding the excessive use of the word 'speed'. Oftentimes in several sentences you get a "the speed force storm is where the speedsters who stole speed are from." Gets a bit repetitive, like the line from NuWally about RedWally stealing speed. Seems self explanatory!
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    I And while I agree Barry is a loner and RedWally is more sociable, characters grow beyond a template. Maybe folk need to write their own fanfiction so they can get exactly what they want all the time.
    Um, that's exactly why Iris exists? She helps in Barry opening up to people, Williamson will probably follow up from there too.

Not sure where people are getting that Wally sent Iris the flowers.
    Wally can't meet her due to fear of her not recognizing him so he anonymously sends her favorite flowers. She was practically like a mother to Wally when he was growing up so they know each other too well.

The only real complaint I have is the writing regarding the excessive use of the word 'speed'. Oftentimes in several sentences you get a "the speed force storm is where the speedsters who stole speed are from." Gets a bit repetitive
    Yeah excessive narration and cheap dialogue need improving. It's not Ben Percy levels bad though, so i let it slide.