Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AT&T on the verge of acquiring Time Warner?

According to reports in the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/bu...rner.html?_r=0 and Wall Street Journal http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-t-ret...074334?tesla=y AT&T is in serious negotiations to take over Time Warner and all its subsidiaries, and it could happen as soon as this weekend, though the deal could still fall apart. This would include Warner Studios, DC Comics, HBO, TNT, TBS, CNN and other entertainment content outlets and producers.

If AT&T does acquire Time Warner, it will be interesting to see the fallout as they streamline their acquisition to attempt to maximize its profitability. AT&T seems focused on TV and movie entertainment content and outlets to pair with their delivery service, so I am not sure the print parts of the Time Warner empire are a high priority to them, just the IP they provide. It will also be interesting to see who stays in current positions at TW holdings and who are replaced if AT&T does acquire them and if people are replaced which projects they backed fall by the wayside as new leadership takes over. Of course, nothing is solid yet, and the deal could collapse, get delayed, or change in nature before all is said and done, but this would be a major shift in the entertainment field if it does end up going through.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Fantastic Member

Wow �� This is for real

The cell phone company? What..

Fantastic Member

Time Warner has agree to 85 billion sale to AT&T
    http://deadline.com/2016/10/time-war...itter-deadline

Astonishing Member

i expect that at the least CN and DC's squabbling will be cut out; wonder how it'll effect stuff like CW though

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    Time Warner has agree to 85 billion sale to AT&T
    http://deadline.com/2016/10/time-war...itter-deadline
    This is not good. These companies keep merging into each other.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    This is not good. These companies keep merging into each other.

Agreed. And here I thought monopolization was supposed to be illegal.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    That's not what's happening here, is it?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Doesn't look like it.
    I believe it's safe as long there's a minimum of two separate entities offering the same service, providing a means for competition and choice for consumers.

Think they learned their lesson in 1982.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Legally? Not exactly.

A monopoly is defined as "the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service." This deal isn't creating a monopoly because there are other giant corporations out there that provide, in theory, healthy competition.

What this is doing however, is creating a oligopoly, defined as "a state of limited competition, in which a market is shared by a small number of producers or sellers." The internet is actually a fairly good example of this; you've got a small handful of companies out there that control the vast majority of products; Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. And there's a degree of competition between them, but also a lot of communication and cooperation.

As far as I know, oligopolies aren't regulated like monopolies are (and governments can still "grant" monopolies to certain companies for certain things too). However, its almost as bad as a monopoly for a lot of reasons. And we've been headed in this direction for decades, with no sign that it'll change any time soon. Hope you're all ready to bow down to our new corporate overlords!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    The cell phone company? What..

AT&T is a massive company. They use to be even bigger years ago before the government broke them up. But it's still a huge company that owns Directv At&T inverse and various other properties.

Companies have been trying to buy Time Warner for years now. Charter just bought it a while back after the FCC blocked Comcast from buying it, so they had to settle for Dreamworks.

Consolidation to mega corporations is the way of the future
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    It's not a monopoly, AT & T is an communication services provider but owns no media at all
    WB is a full media group but don't provide any communication service, they're completely different entities
    There ain't no monopoly here, just two supergiants of different kinds merging

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    AT&T is a massive company. They use to be even bigger years ago before the government broke them up. But it's still a huge company that owns Directv At&T inverse and various other properties.

Companies have been trying to buy Time Warner for years now. Charter just bought it a while back after the FCC blocked Comcast from buying it, so they had to settle for Dreamworks.

Consolidation to mega corporations is the way of the future
    U-verse is gone next year-too many fees kill it. That is why they bought Direct TV.

Yes and no.

There are places Time Warner can go that AT & T can't and vice versa.

Also if you name is CRAP in one part of the city or country-you can still be there under another name.

It can be a monopoly if you try to deny something with one and not with the other. And that is the fear.

Lets take the network Chiller-under AT & T U-verse-I got it and a few other channels (CBS Sports, Encore & Starzz) for $80 a month.

Direct TV-I have to pay higher price for Chiller and even higher for Encore & Starzz.

If they were the same folks back then-it would be an issue.

I think the big question is how does this impact DC and even the CW since this will be the first networks that they own. Are they going to look at properties like Disney is doing?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    It's not a monopoly, AT & T is an communication services provider but owns no media at all
    WB is a full media group but don't provide any communication service, they're completely different entities
    There ain't no monopoly here, just two supergiants of different kinds merging
    Oh I know that, I was just being dramatic. It does worry me though how over the past decade we have had so many big &/or notable companies buy each other out, merge, etc. I know its nothing new for the business world, but it does seem like it has become somewhat more commonplace then it was say 20-30 years ago. But I am old fashioned and prefere there to be alot of independent companies in compitition with one another as opposed to a handful of companies hoarding as many other companies & IPs as they can under their umbrella. I just feel like the corperate world is kind of cannibalizing itself to a degree and that may not be good in the long run.

But hey thats just my 2-cents and I am in no way a business major so I could be completly wrong.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 10-21-2016 at 09:13 PM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Charter bought Time Warner Cable the cable television and internet service provider/telecom company. They did not buy the company AT&T may buy: Time Warner Inc (The media company that owns IP like DC along with film studios...etc). Warner has shed numerous parts over the past few years. So essentially all AT&T is buying is a media company. All this talk of monopoly and oligopoly does not apply.
    I was hoping Fox would buy them to make the X-men movie license situation even more awkward.
    Last edited by Talkinghead22; 10-21-2016 at 09:19 PM.