Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

OP Question - Sure, why not I say? Goodness knows poor Nightwing is getting no love in the Bat-Family books.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Back from the dead!!!

Okay, so I was looking for a thread about pitching ideas for Nightwing that got a lot of traction on the Bat forums a little while back, and stumbled upon this old thread while searching. It's been almost three years since the last post and I was curious if anyone's opinion has changed. A whole lot is different now than it was in 2016, for both Clark and Dick Grayson.

So what do we think now? Should Dick pick up and move to Metropolis and hang with his Uncle more, or should he stick to Batman's side of the street still?

Given the state of Dick Grayson right now......well, if anyone has been following the Nightwing title you're probably as anxious as I am to see Dick get away from that editorial group. But still! What say you, Superman forum?
    dick still bring to close to batman is why we got "ric" grayson in the first place. Time for dick to grow up and move out of dad's house.

Boisterously Confused

It would be healthy to breakup somebody the territorial zones of DC. They needn't even be too heavy-handed about it. Move Dick to Metropolis for a new job. Set him to stalking the worst of Suicide Slum. Let him periodically interact with Supes.

Nor need we stop there. Why not let Supergirl move to Star City, or Tempest take up residence off the coast of wherever we have Wonder Woman hanging her tiara.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    dick still bring to close to batman is why we got "ric" grayson in the first place. Time for dick to grow up and move out of dad's house.
    Not only that, but it opens Dick up to new narrative options he doesn't have in Gotham, or as part of the overall Bat brand (which he'll never fully escape from, nor should he; the Bat connections are valuable ones overall). And it opens the door for Clark to get involved in some story types we don't usually see him in.

I think it's a win/win. A little distance from Batman seems like a good idea right now given the state of the editorial department and their willingness to throw Dick to the wolves. And putting him under the editorial of Superman is still keeping him in a bigger limelight and ensuring he remains visible (if DC is even worried about that?). New setting and stories for Dick, new story options for Clark, and a bunch of new dynamics to explore between characters. Dick and Jon absolutely, positively, have to meet, and has Dick ever spent much time with Lois? I feel like that's a relationship, the "aunt Lois" deal, that could benefit both Dick and Lois equally and bring out new facets of their personalities.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, of course. I'd love for Nightwing to embrace his Superman heritage more. The idea of Nightwing, at least for me, has always been that Robin grows up to be someone who embodies parts of both Superman and Batman, which is why he takes his name from the time Superman became an alien Batman. Putting more emphasis on Dick's Superman heritage is not only a good idea, I'd say it's long overdue.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Agreed, Adekis. I feel like Dick is really the perfect blend of both worlds. He's a Bat with the heart and soul of a Super......and it's fantastic. In a way he sort of reaffirms both Clark and Bruce's philosophies; he's sort of like the embodiment of what both heroes' perfect future would look like. Dick proves that Bruce's methods can yield positive results and save/change lives, and he shows that Clark's dream of a bright and shiny future are rooted in reality.

I maintain that Dick is the greatest human alive, and you'd only get that with a fusion of Super-Bat.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, of course. I'd love for Nightwing to embrace his Superman heritage more. The idea of Nightwing, at least for me, has always been that Robin grows up to be someone who embodies parts of both Superman and Batman, which is why he takes his name from the time Superman became an alien Batman. Putting more emphasis on Dick's Superman heritage is not only a good idea, I'd say it's long overdue.
    It's why I like him in Teen Titans books. He's the one member of the Bat-family who properly respects supers.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm in. Ideally, I'd want him in whichever group is Titans/Teen Titans/Justice League since that's where he found fame in the first place and I want him to be fully independent, as in, not tied to any superhero family, as he has enough followers to stand on his own, but Superman group is a good place too for reasons already mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Yes. And in a way it's a little payback for stealing our characters.
    Necro-quoting because this is still true right now in light of knowing the Legion direction. Let's bring over Dick/Ric to hang out with Superman and explore that friendship. Lord knows everything that's his gets farmed out.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Okay, random question. There was a issue back in the 00's, basically a stand-alone tale, where Clark and Nightwing spent a night on a stakeout. I think Dick had followed some weapon dealers from Bludhaven to Metropolis, and Clark was investigating the same group. Most of the issue is spent with them sitting on a roof, drinking coffee, talking shop. Had to be....I dunno, a year or two after Our Worlds At War; Clark was still wearing the red-on-black "S" shield but (I think) was past all the OW@W fallout, like the trouble with Lois and seeing the therapist.

They run into each other when Clark sees someone falling off a building and swoops in to save them....only to realize it was just Dick swinging from the rooftops (like he does).

Anyone remember the issue Im talking about?

I'm pretty sure that was the issue where I first realized all that Silver Age history really had built a hell of a bond between these guys.

~ Black Panther.

I like the idea of bringing Dick over. My own personal preference for Dick is to have him go back to his spy days, just have him HQ’d in Bludhaven, but Metropolis would also work perfectly for that kind of set up.

Nightwing should lead the Justice League.

Maybe not lead the league yet but. He should replace batman while batman focuses on building batman inc. back up with he bloated batfamily.

He's a good choice for a team like Teen Titans though.

Dick leading and training a new generation of Titans is very much in his wheelhouse......and its also something I have no interest in seeing. "Nightwing as mentor" is one of the more well-played stories we've seen over the last few decades. And I truly believe that the worst thing that can be done to Dick and his peers right now is keeping them tied to a Titans franchise DC doesn't care about and doesn't know what to do with.

He would definitely fit in with the League I think, and he does make more logical sense than Bruce (better team player, better field commander, just as capable of stealth and in combat) and I think he could even pull off leading the group (not everyone can give Diana orders....I think Dick might be able to). But I dont really know if that's the right place for him either. I mean, the League is going to be Batman's no matter what DC tries to do, and I fear this would just put Dick even further under Bruce's shadow.

I mean, yeah I made this thread suggesting Dick move to Metropolis, which puts him under Clark's shadow....but at least it's a new shadow you can do different things with.

~ Black Panther.