Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should We Adopt Nightwing?

In another thread we were discussing the relationship between Superman and Nightwing. We often overlook the impact Superman has had on Dick's life. The guy chose his new codename as a way to honor both Batman and Clark. You don't do something like that for just anybody.

So should Nightwing decide that, maybe, it's time to get out of Gotham for a while and visit Metropolis?

Every time these two get together it's an absolute blast. Even bad writers make it work. The characters work so well together, and of all the powerless heroes on earth, if there's one who could keep up with Superman, its the guy who spent his teen years leading a group of superhumans against the likes of Trigon and the Gordanians, who was trained by the goddamn Batman, and is largely considered to be the most gifted natural athlete alive, a solid detective, and a natural leader.

Nothing says Dick cant visit Gotham once in a while or have his own solo adventures, but I wouldn't be at all against making Nightwing a member of Superman's supporting cast for a while.

And you could work a Super-Bat emblem into the blue of Dick's costume, just to take it up a nerdy notch.

Thoughts? Is this a fun idea or am I just over tired?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I have to say that this is actually a really good idea. The dynamic between Nightwing and Superman is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the DC universe and while Nightwing interacting with Bruce is good as well I think a little change would be good. DC has run the conflict between Bruce and Grayson into the ground in recent times and every writer who writes Nightwing eventually starts having his relationship with Bruce turn into a series of events where Dick acts like a spolied kid and Bruce acts like a complete jerk simply to cause conflict. Having Nightwing interact with Superman would be a nice change of pace and could add some interesting storylines.

Not to mention the fact that there are entirely too many Bat sidekicks running around at this point and giving Nightwing some space from Gotham might allow the other characters to grow while giving a new spotlight to Nightwing.
    Last edited by regg215; 10-21-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I think it would be a really fun idea to explore for a while.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes. And in a way it's a little payback for stealing our characters.

BANNED

Everyone in the dcu is a Superman supporting character in a sense

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by username_ View Post
    Everyone in the dcu is a Superman supporting character in a sense
    Sure. In the Silver Age.

Now? The DCU is Batman's kingdom, and looks to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, I vote yes. Even if it's only temporary, Dick has always been the great bridge between the Bat Family and the Super Family. It'd be cool to see him spend time in both worlds.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Dick is the original prince of the DCU (and comics honestly), and I love it how he takes parts of Batman and Superman to make up his identity as a character/hero. That said, I'm not at all a fan Dick staying in Superman OR Batman's cities for an extended period of time. He has, more than any character like him, earned his own city. I love the idea of Dick always being reluctantly pulled back to shoulder his mentors' legacies in one way or another, but ultimately he's trying his own thing.

But still, I could stand to see him team up with Clark a LOT more, and Dick mentoring Jon almost writes itself. Funny enough Dick may be the most interesting and appropriate (thematically) mentor for Jon out there. Just like Clark didn't teach Dick how to be a hero, but instead gave him a new perspective and friend--Nightwing could do that for Jon. The Johnny Storm to Jon's Franklin (Hickman's run) if you will.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But still, I could stand to see him team up with Clark a LOT more, and Dick mentoring Jon almost writes itself. Funny enough Dick may be the most interesting and appropriate (thematically) mentor for Jon out there. Just like Clark didn't teach Dick how to be a hero, but instead gave him a new perspective and friend--Nightwing could do that for Jon. The Johnny Storm to Jon's Franklin (Hickman's run) if you will.
    If Dick was able to get through to Damian, then Jon would be a piece of cake.

BANNED

Not a bad idea, will never happen though, the Bat is $$$.

I'd quite settle for a 2-3 issue story arc.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Metropolis is as a good place for Dick to set up shop for while as Gotham, Bludhaven, New York or Chicago.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'd love this. With the return of Maggie and the S.C.U,Bibbo and much of the 90s- early 2000 supporting cast ,and since it's unlikely we will see Gangbuster return ,the spot of Metropolis street vigilante is vacant...who best to fill it but Dick?

In fact,if indeed preFlashpoint history will be in play ,bring back the idea of Dick being a cop and have him join the SCU in his civilian guise and have Nightwing prowl the streets of suicide Slum at night?

Heck,have it so that Jimmy Olsen's time as Flamebird happened and he ends up Dick's occasional partner in Superheroing . Thus the return of Nightwing and Flamebird!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Well, indeed this will never happen, and ultimately I'd rather have Nightwing in Bludhaven or Chicago than either Gotham or Metropolis. At least as a full time, regular status quo.

But in the same way Nightwing constantly shows up in Gotham for guest appearances and big stories, I'd think he could spend time in Metropolis in the same way. And people have already pointed out other cool aspects of such a dynamic; hanging with Jon, replacing Gangbuster as the part-time street vigilante (though I'd rather Black Lightning fill that role myself), etc.

I remember back when Loeb brought Kara back into the DCU and had her train on Themyscria. For quite a while Kara felt more comfortable there than anywhere else and seemed to be just as close to Diana as she was to Clark, if not closer. And she was best friends with Cassie Sandsmark. I always thought it was a good chance for DC to "merge" the Super and Wonder franchises and have a character who sort of lived in both worlds. Like, have Kara wear Amazonian armor with the "S" shield and red cape, have her fight like an Amazon without ignoring her Kryptonian powers or heritage. It seemed like a good way to make Kara stand out from the other Supers and build some bridges between the franchises.

I could see Nightwing doing that for the Bat-Clan and Super family. I think it could be done in a way that doesnt hamper Nightwing's individuality, which is something that absolutely *has* to remain intact, and I think it would enrich both Dick's character and the two properties he's straddling. Metropolis could benefit from a little Gotham-style grit, and Gotham could certainly benefit from some of Metropolis' optimistically industrial go-get'um.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Tim Seeley is really pushing the idea of Dick as someone who can never stay in one place or one direction for too long and is always on the move (as befitting his circus roots) so outside of a Titans Tower headquarters with the rest of the Titans I don't see him ever taking a major permanent or semi-permananet residence anywhere, even in Metropolis.

I also imagine the Bat-books would probably want him to have at least some degree of closeness to Gotham for the sake of crossovers and guest spots and the like.

That being said, I'd be totally down for more team-ups with the Super-family .

Heck, I'd be down for more Batfamily and Superfamily crossovers in general. We've got Super-Sons coming up, and I think it's high time we got a proper Supergirl and Batgirl team-up, especially with the current Kara.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Now that you mention it, I think it's pretty criminal how underused Black Lightning is in general, but it's just unforgivable how divorced he is from Metropolis. He grew up in Suicide Slums for goodness sake!

He's such an interesting character that a lot of people overlook. I think he could really benefit from being a in the Superman world (as his own hero though) for a time, and then gaining enough popularity to strike (ha) out on his own. I really miss this character.