Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Would Nightwing on a Superman book be a boost to Dick or Clark? Being a under the Batfam, Dick has carried solos, team books and the main Batman book. Supes however, goes from one arc to the next, from writer to writer with loose continuity between arcs and reset buttons to give new writers a clean slate. It just seems like another instance of the Bat-Brand is taking over the DCU.

Damian was put on the TT (with characters from Dick and Tim's generation) because the book was underwater but Damian is popular. The new JL Dark DTV movie will have Batman as a member, even though the comic never featured Batman on the team and Bruce firmly doesn't believe in magic. Also the sheer number of Batman books printed at one single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I think it's pretty criminal how underused Black Lightning is in general, but it's just unforgivable how divorced he is from Metropolis. He grew up in Suicide Slums for goodness sake!

He's such an interesting character that a lot of people overlook. I think he could really benefit from being a in the Superman world (as his own hero though) for a time, and then gaining enough popularity to strike (ha) out on his own. I really miss this character.
    Yeah, Lightning needs to get more love. The fact that he's not being used is absolutely criminal.

And I myself have no issue with him in Suicide Slum. Sure its part of Metropolis but its a part that Superman rarely visits; the problems there are not something Superman can solve. So let Jefferson do his thing. Hell if he ever got another solo series I'd love to see Clark Kent used as a recurring guest character; not Superman mind you, but Clark Kent; intrepid social crusading reporter trying to help the Slum through the powers of journalism!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Would Nightwing on a Superman book be a boost to Dick or Clark?
    Would it really matter?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, Lightning needs to get more love. The fact that he's not being used is absolutely criminal.

And I myself have no issue with him in Suicide Slum. Sure its part of Metropolis but its a part that Superman rarely visits; the problems there are not something Superman can solve. So let Jefferson do his thing. Hell if he ever got another solo series I'd love to see Clark Kent used as a recurring guest character; not Superman mind you, but Clark Kent; intrepid social crusading reporter trying to help the Slum through the powers of journalism!
    I know Tom King wrote a Superman/Black Lightning story with Lightning's original artist, and it has a good chance of still coming out. Outside of that story there's so much you can do with Lightning in the Metropolis Suicide Slums setting. I love the idea that he was in politics, and was a professor too. There's so much there. Plus there's also the possibility of bringing back Lightning's family. That would playoff Superman's family well.

Superman's bench of influence runs pretty deep if you simply look. Nightwing, Black Lightning, Cadmus, Newsboys, Jimmy Olsen (oh "he's not gone" you say? Could've fooled me) Guardian, Steel, Nat, Squad K lead by Percy Hazard, Subjekt-17, Sirocco, Atlas, Hercules, Samson, Lightray, Hamilton, Dan Turpin, Legion, and the list goes on.

Can start getting some of these back.....PLEASE. There's so much we could be doing with them, Superman, and the current DCU.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

My issue is that Steel is already there and creatively struggling to fill the role of "non-powered Superman Family member", and to have an historically A-list character show up to fill that role would I think cut his legs out from under him for awhile to come.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This is true. Steel and Natasha are the most interesting aspects of Superwoman, but don't feel all that important in the big picture of that book or the Superman world. Steel needs a mini or something to really solidify him again as a player in the Superman world, and not just a cameo from an overrated event from the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    My issue is that Steel is already there and creatively struggling to fill the role of "non-powered Superman Family member", and to have an historically A-list character show up to fill that role would I think cut his legs out from under him for awhile to come.
    Well, Steel has been struggling to find a place for a long time. And I think the issue is that he's "powered" but not anywhere close to Clark's level. You can draw him into a panel flying next to the rest of them, but when the fighting starts he doesnt really carry his weight. Its a problem caused by his having powers but not enough raw power. Nightwing by contrast isnt even a consideration because he is utterly powerless, so you have to, by default, find something different for him to do that plays to his particular strengths.

And I dont see Nightwing stealing Steel's spotlight either; both of them would be regularly occurring guest characters so its not like they'd have so much panel time one has to be cut in order for the other to get his time in. Hell, for Nightwing to steal Steel's spotlight, Steel would have to be in a spotlight in the first place.

And Im sorry, having a suit of powered armor you built yourself takes you out of the running for "non-powered family member." If you can fly and throw cars, you have powers and it doesnt matter if they come from the sun or technology or a magic wishing ring.

I think there are three potential solutions for Steel.

Upgrade his armor so he can hang with the rest of them. If he can do that it becomes easier to write him into the plot. This is likely the most pedestrian and simple solution, easiest for lesser writers to handle, and the option that has the least amount of potential to it. At least in my opinion.

Focus on his role as the go-to science guy and have him use the armor rarely. We dont have Hamilton. We dont have Shay Veritas. John Henry Irons could, and should, be Superman's resident scientific expert. DC has played with that in the past and I think it works well. He can pull out the armor when things get real if need be, but there's lots of ways to be a hero and Dr. Irons could embody that concept in the Super-titles. You could even tie him to STAR Labs, just for the extra sticking point. As an alternative to this, have Steel stay in the lab most of the time but control Steel-like drones that help Clark out by evacuating dangerous areas, providing medical help to the injured, or doing research in inhospitable regions. Remember in the Age of Ultron movie when JARVIS was controlling those drones? Same idea.

Get Steel out of Metropolis completely and send him off to find his fortunes elsewhere, be it in a team book (JLA?) or a mini or a solo series. Steel carried a solo for 52 issues back in the day and he could again. It's unlikely that the current crop of Super-titles will all survive and Steel would make a fine replacement when Superwoman, New Super-Man, or whatever, gets cancelled.

~ Black Panther.

I'd really enjoy seeing Nightwing and Superman working together more. To me, it seems to make more sense than putting Batman and Superman together. Dick is a pretty optimistic and charismatic guy. He's a good leader but not afraid to get in and mix it up if he has to. So he has a lot in common with Superman. I think they would pull off the teamwork angle a lot better.

Yeah, generally I consider Nightwing a better choice for virtually any team. Batman's a better detective. Much, much better. And that's really the only thing he brings to the table where he completely surpasses Dick.

Nightwing's a better natural athlete, a roughly equal fighter (which is largely a non-issue when you're fighting gods and alien armadas), a better team player, a better leader, and he's a lot less likely to create fail-safes to defeat his own team mates that will be stolen by a villain and used against the heroes.

I'd like to see Nightwing take Batman's place on the League and Batman remain in an advisory role. Batman's pragmatic outlook is important, but really all he has to do is remain a reservist and send a message to the Watchtower when he notices some hidden threat no one else picked up on.

"Hey guys. Just so you know, Slaughter Swamp is likely going to become sentient within the next few hours. You might wanna look into it. I emailed Nightwing the details."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love to see Nightwing interact more with Superman, if Seely is writing it.

Without Seely, or King, I would probably pass for right now.

Seeing as the Batverse borrowed/stole Maggie Sawyer from her rightful place in Metropolis' SCU for a whopping 10 years before the Superverse finally got her back, I'd say wholeheartedly YES to temporarily adopting Dick Grayson into Superman's world.

And given that Dick Grayson is arguably the DCU's Best Teammate (while Bruce Wayne is inarguably the DCU's Worst Teammate for the 20th straight year), he'd have no problem fitting in with either Jimmy Olsen (his direct Super counterpart for the World's Finest's Pre-COIE) and/or Lar Gand (his closest Super counterpart Post-COIE).

Weren't Lar and Dick teammates on a next-gen roster of the Justice League at one point?

So, yeah put the Grayson title under the Superverse editorial for like, 1-2 years, and have Dick work and live in Metropolis while chilling with Clark, Lois, Jon, Connor, Lar, Jimmy, Kara, John Henry, Lana, Karen, and Krypto.

Astonishing Member

Dick's been around almost as long as Clark and Bruce, I'd imagine he's to the point where he should have his own supporting cast by now but never materialized though Seeley is trying to work on that right now.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Well, for most of his history Dick was a part of the supporting cast, so really he's only been building his own for about twenty years or so, since his first solo by Dixon began.

And so far he's had the same problem that has plagued Wonder Woman; each new creative team dumps what came before to build anew.

~ Black Panther.

Definitely. I've said it before: Nightwing isn't just the second best super-hero in the DCU, he's also the only true legacy character Kal's ever had- considering that Superman was Nightwing first. Treating Dick as not just a member of Team Batman but Team Superman as well would only be good.

And as for whether it'd benefit Dick or Kal more... Both? Both. Both is good.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Back from the dead!!!

Okay, so I was looking for a thread about pitching ideas for Nightwing that got a lot of traction on the Bat forums a little while back, and stumbled upon this old thread while searching. It's been almost three years since the last post and I was curious if anyone's opinion has changed. A whole lot is different now than it was in 2016, for both Clark and Dick Grayson.

So what do we think now? Should Dick pick up and move to Metropolis and hang with his Uncle more, or should he stick to Batman's side of the street still?

Given the state of Dick Grayson right now......well, if anyone has been following the Nightwing title you're probably as anxious as I am to see Dick get away from that editorial group. But still! What say you, Superman forum?

~ Black Panther.