Thread: dune?

Default dune?

i am a real big fan of frank herbertīs work. so i wonder why this epic is not given the true, mind-warping depiction it deserves.
    it has so many things going. you may consider it the original game of thrones... (leader of a major house offed early, paul split into several characters, one goes for spiritual enlightment, the other becomes leader of a savage force. feudal system, similar support organizations mentat/maester. aria grrm idaho? basiclly alot of similar ingredients/themes).
    so it features a lot of components, that were deemed undoable in the past, but recent productions show how successful such a storyline maybe.

there has been a big budget 80s movie by a respected director, but it just touched the tip of the iceberg. then there has been a tv show which featured some promising elements, but suffered from lack of budget and direction.
    and then there is the jodorowsky material that was never realized.

what is the situation with dune? who holds the rights? are there any rumors?
    it could be another star wars or avatar on the big screen, but only better
    or atleast it could rival game of thrones success through an updated epic tv realization. iīll be waiting

edit
    oh and i hate kevin j. anderson ever since made the mistake of spending money on some of his star wars work. but universe builing wise, there could be a lot to salvage from the post mortem FH publications.
    Last edited by abulafia; 10-22-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BANNED

I saw and loved the two mini series that were made in the early 00's. I don't know why it wasn't continued. I enjoyed them a lot.

I would say it is a factor of the cost versus revenue is simply not going to make it.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I saw and loved the two mini series that were made in the early 00's. I don't know why it wasn't continued. I enjoyed them a lot.
    I too enjoy the series and I think it because the next chapter would be hard to pull off and the theme for the next one as I recall is the ends justify the means like storyline

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    I too enjoy the series and I think it because the next chapter would be hard to pull off and the theme for the next one as I recall is the ends justify the means like storyline
    hard to pull of is excatly not viable anymore in my opinion. there are alot of talented people in the industry. i am sure the dune saga could be adapted into a long running tv show or a movie series. casting wise it is production friendly, as characters are either cloned (idaho) or are offsprings of a lineage and are expected to feature familiar looks
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    hard to pull of is excatly not viable anymore in my opinion. there are alot of talented people in the industry. i am sure the dune saga could be adapted into a long running tv show or a movie series. casting wise it is production friendly, as characters are either cloned (idaho) or are offsprings of a lineage and are expected to feature familiar looks
    I'n not talking about the technical difficulties, I'm talking about the story-line itself, I don't think you can pull off the extra nuance needed for a lack of a better word to do it justice in a live version of that chapter, but I will admit I have trouble with the viability of the spoilers:
    Half man half worm
    end of spoilers as a protagonist ..

BANNED

Never understood why the David Lynch movie gets so much flak.

I've always enjoyed it

Given that new Star Wars movies will be happening for the foreseeable future, and studios are putting together there own space opera films, I wouldn't really be all that surprised if we see someone try their hands at a multiple film Dune series with a two-part movie finally.

The Lynch film is fine; the acting is rather stilted in a great many parts; but, I've always enjoyed it and was chomping at the bit to see it, after seeing the trailer, originally (hadn't read the books, at that point). The cable/Alan Smithee cut adds some interesting story stuff; but, uses some bad alternate takes and really slows the story down. The Emperor's scenes are painful to watch, compared to the theatrical cut. It may have explained more; but, it bogged you down in exposition.

The Sci-Fi Channel mini-series were good, though budget hurt some things. For what they had, they made it look darn good; better than a lot of Sci-Fi Channel productions of the era. Susan Sarandon was fun as a villain.

Dune is pretty complex and it's hard for Hollywood to do complex, especially that stuff. Lord of the Rings got simplified by Peter Jackson and he went to town on the action pieces. Dune has a lot of scheming, relative to battles. That's harder to pull off. I don't see anyone attempting it anytime soon. Plus, it has the stink of failure around it, which is the kiss of death to a property, in Hollywood.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Didn't care for the Lynch film. (I remember seeing it in the theater and having to explain to my girlfriend all the time what was going on... I'd read the book and she hadn't.) Didn't see the miniseries. I would like to see a really good big-budget theatrical version (and not a freaking trilogy... if they want more movies, they can film the sequels.)

I wonder what Ridley Scott could do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Didn't care for the Lynch film. (I remember seeing it in the theater and having to explain to my girlfriend all the time what was going on... I'd read the book and she hadn't.) Didn't see the miniseries. I would like to see a really good big-budget theatrical version (and not a freaking trilogy... if they want more movies, they can film the sequels.)

I wonder what Ridley Scott could do with it.
    The mini-series wasn't actually that bad especially for Syfy in fact I really liked it , as for Lynch's film I think one of the main problem- the gloomy and gaudy background theme and the way the story was told lack definition, I read the book too and my friends had a hard time following it and like you I had to give some explanation.

Member in Disguise

Was this the one where some guy had to milk a cat to prevent being poisoned, and the guns don't work unless you *literally* say "pew pew"? Yeah, that was a classic, all right. ( :
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    Was this the one where some guy had to milk a cat to prevent being poisoned, and the guns don't work unless you *literally* say "pew pew"? Yeah, that was a classic, all right. ( :
    Sadly it's true .. with that said I'm 90% sure neither of them was in the book.. it's been awhile since I read the novel ..

See, I had never read the book and I had no trouble following the Lynch film. the opening prologue (with Virginia Madsen) gave me enough detail and I could piece most of it together as I went along. When I read the book, I was disappointed that some of the elements from the film weren't there, though the novel was superior. What was interesting, watching the film, was discovering the truth about misconceptions I had, from the trailer. The trailer has a close up of Paul, Lying on the sand, as he is about to have his vision. It's juxtaposed (in my memory, at least) with one of the guild navigators. I thought the thing under his nose was a parasite entering his head (ala the bore worms, in Star Trek 2), related to those grotesque creatures (the navigators). Nope, that was just the filter for reclaiming moisture, on the still-suit. I liked the designs, as I saw them in the trailer, and there was enough interesting visual stuff for me to want to see the film, with no knowledge of the novels, apart from once skimming through the Dune Encyclopedia, at a bookstore. I liked the film enough to see it a couple of times, in theaters, and wonder what movie Siskel and Ebert saw instead, when they called it the worst film of the year. It's not without its problems; but, it wasn't that bad, by any standard.

The Smithee version gives you a long prologue, with all of that backstory detail; but, it bores you to death before the film actually starts, so you forget it it all. It was interesting to see deleted footage; but, it didn't really improve the story. i could have done with that as a separate feature. Also, some of the alternate takes are far worse than what ended up in the theatrical film. I don't blame Lynch from washing his hands of that cut.

What I have seen and read of Jodorowsky doesn't make me believe any film version he would have achieved would have been any more coherent. Trippier, maybe.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Lynch movie wasn't a total disaster, but lord was there a great deal of bad acting in it. At times I thought I was watching Barbarella with a bigger budget.