Default R.I.P. Bob Hastings - B:TAS Commissioner Gordon

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/02...sioner-gordon/

Bob Hastings, the television and radio actor who voiced Gotham City Police Commissioner James Gordon in animation for a decade, has passed away.

The Burbank Leader reports that the star died from pancreatic cancer, from which he'd been suffering on and off for 15 years.

Hastings, who got his start in radio but rose to fame on TV in McHale's Navy, first portrayed Gordon (who will be the lead character in the live-action TV series Gotham debuting on Fox in the fall) in 1993's animated feature film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. He went on to play the role in Batman: The Animated Series and a number of spinoffs and tie-ins until 2003.

In the late 1970s, Hastings also lent his voice to Challenge of the Superfriends, although he was never credited with a specific character, only listed in the credits as a contributing voice actor. Before teaming with Mark Hamill on Batman: The Animated Series, Hastings shared screentime with him in Jeannie, on which he played Henry Glopp, a character he carried over to The New Scooby-Doo Movies.

Earlier still, he voiced Superboy and young Clark Kent in a number of animated projects in the '60s, including The Batman/Superman Hour and Superboy.
    I actually didn't realize how much other voicework he had done for DC properties...

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

image.jpg

Legends Never Die.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

. . . Hastings, who got his start in radio but rose to fame on TV in McHale's Navy, first portrayed Gordon (who will be the lead character in the live-action TV series Gotham debuting on Fox in the fall) in 1993's animated feature film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. He went on to play the role in Batman: The Animated Series . . .
    I guess whoever wrote that story didn't realize B:TAS started before Mask of Phantasm?

Also didn't realize Bob Hastings was the brother of Don Hastings, who played Dr. Bob Hughes on the soap opera As the World Turns for many (many!) years.

Broken...and done... Blackblood's Avatar

Goodbye Mr. Hastings.
    ''Still they cry out for him...for their hero and savior...but he is broken...and GOTHAM IS MINE!!!'' - Bane

''Just you. And me. And Smith and Wesson.'' - Detective Harvey Bullock

Spectacular Member

I notice a lot of actors and voice actors are passing this year. I still can't believe Casey Kasem, the voice of Shaggy and Robin, is gone. Bob will always be Commissioner Gordon to me

BANNED

He'll always be the Commissioner to my childhood. R.I.P.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    He'll always be the Commissioner to my childhood. R.I.P.
    Yeah, he voiced a great James Gordon.

Nearly two months to the day after Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., too.

He was a terrific Commissioner Gordon. Like many others from B:TAS, his voice is the one I always hear in my head when reading Gordon in the comics.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

On the Radio from the mid 40's to early 50's Bob was the voice of ARCHIE ANDREWS.
    Talented person.

REST IN PEACE!

He was such a huge part of my childhood. Thank you Mr. Hastings.

He was so great in this episode. A heartbreaking scene that he totally nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Best cartoon show ever.

Rest in Peace, and go with God. You were an important part of a much beloved dare I say definitive series about the Caped Crusader.

He was crazy talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Phenomenal. This is why Nolan Batflicks got nothin' on Dini/Timm toons.