View Poll Results: How much do the solicits affect your enjoyment?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don’t – I don’t check solicits

3 15.00%
  • They don’t – I look at them but don’t think they affect me

5 25.00%
  • Not much. Just use them to gauge

5 25.00%
  • Varies. Mostly use them to decide which books to get

5 25.00%
  • I need them. They’re like trailers or something

1 5.00%
  • Maybe too much. I have expectations

1 5.00%

Default How much do the solicits affect your enjoyment?

This should probably be in a general forum but, since I usually post in this one...

I don't read solicits. I don't actively check what's coming (Diamond/Previews etc) but will have an eye out, somewhat passively - preview-threads, for example. So I usually read an issue going by what's come before (in an arc) rather than a 'next time in' sort of thing. For example, the new Trinity book - I had no idea that the big yellow dude and the green lady were going to be in it (I still don't really know about the big yellow dude, it's just some posters mentioned him being mentioned in a solicit, but, given the reveal at the end of issue 2, I figured that was who the green lady was referring to).

Anyway, how much do you think/feel/believe you're affected by solicits (and how disappointed are you when what you get isn't what was solicited (no poll on that one)?

Like you I dont put a lot of stock in them. I'll check out the solicits when they're released each month just to get an idea of what direction the books I read are headed in or see if something new looks interesting, and I'll check out the news feed here at CBR (the only nerd site I visit) and that's about it. I rarely read interviews or previews unless I am already heavily invested or interested.

Solicits are vague by design, and sometimes things change between their being released and the actual issue coming out. So I look at them as rough blueprints showing where we're going and nothing more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I really like the solicits, they let me know whether or not I should get the arc. Like people have said above they are vague yet gripping.

Astonishing Member

I find at points that I'm already anticipating something from Previews and feel like the issue in front of me is just something to get out of the way. For instance the initial arc in Action went from being mildly interesting to "can we get this done and get on to the mystery of this human Clark" once I saw that was the next "arc"

I enjoy looking at them when I see an announcement about them, but I don't go out of my way to look. If Superman's in it, I'll be buying it (until DC makes a decision with the character that I feel is reason enough to stop buying).

It's cool to get a general idea of what's coming, though, or if Superman is going to be in another book that I wasn't aware of.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

This topic... should be in.. DC COMICS.. no?

Yeah a lot.. there are times that you want see the end of the current saga and... this saga continue with a long time..

If I see a bad solicitation... a comic that I don´t like with something that interests me or the contrary.. or a new comic IS USEFUL for see this or no.
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.

BANNED

I like them usually, if nothing else I'm just meh, they've never killed my excitement from what I can remember.