Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default If you had to replace Superman comics in your reading...

Let's say that the Siegels got the rights to Superman back or some other reason that Superman would stop being published. Who would you read instead?
    Assassinate Putin!

Like, DC wise, in general, or with the Superman family characters that DC would still have access to (thanks Ascended for your informative post)?

Probably Supergirl.

I used to read Thor until they cancelled it followed by me cancelling Marvel, I still read Invincible but it's getting cancelled. I think I'd lose a lot of love for DC and new comics in general. Would mostly just read back issues and take advantage of digital sales. Older comics are better in general anyways.

I enjoyed Alan Moore's Supreme & DC/Wildstorm's Majestic series (esp the Casey/McGuiness run).
    Last edited by md62; 10-27-2016 at 07:25 PM.

BANNED

Kon-El would step up

already did that, changed for transformers mtmte (soon lost light)

and got back to play wow, best investment of my money

I don't know if I would replace Superman with anything. I already read a lot of comics. So I'd probably just take the reduced reading list and go from there. Plus I already read Astro City, which does Samaritan stories every once in a while. None of the Marvel clones seem to last. DC isn't doing anything with Shazam/Capatian Marvel. Invincible is coming to an end. So not much in the way of Superman style options to fill the gap. Perhaps if Apollo shows up in something now that Ellis is heading up Wildstorm again, I'd read that.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. I'm enough comics now to not feel the need to replace Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm utterly uninterested in pursuing knock offs. If he went away, the punisher is my number two but really, there are enough back issues out there to hunt for many years.

I'd likely start digging through the older material again. That's what I did through most of the 00's when I dropped the Super-line. So I'd likely just start spending more on older Super-trades that I haven't gotten around to yet. Still a lot of good Silver Age stuff I've yet to read, and my collection from the late 70's/early 80's is still fairly thin (at least compared to my Golden Age collections and the post-Crisis material).

I dont see myself actively looking for a Superman "replacement," though I wouldn't shy away from something that looked good that followed the same sort of vibe. The Bigger Bang seems interesting and is something I want to get around to checking out at some point. I might give that a shot sooner rather than later if I dropped books from my pull.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

See the equivalent of superman in marvel, if this character is not another boyscout.. I liked Blue Marvel..

Currently, I am looking for old comics(pre-crisis) and alternative versions, like Kingdoom Come.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    See the equivalent of superman in marvel, if this character is not another boyscout.. I liked Blue Marvel..

Currently, I am looking for old comics(pre-crisis) and alternative versions, like Kingdoom Come.
    Have you looked at the "Next Level Superman Recommendations" thread pinned to the top of this forum? Lots of good suggestions in that thread.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Aside from his old superhero costume and high power level, I wouldn't really say blue marvel is like Superman. But I'd recommend ultimates to virtually any reader

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Blue Marvel getting his own solo would be great. For DC, the easy answer would be "whichever Superman-type character (Supergirl/Majestic/etc.) they'd have step up to fill that space", but maybe they'd finally push Wonder Woman into the limelight instead, which would also be alright with me.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Aside from his old superhero costume and high power level, I wouldn't really say blue marvel is like Superman. But I'd recommend ultimates to virtually any reader
    Really? He's got his own Kryptonite (I guess it doesn't hurt him, but Neutronium does fill that type of space in his mythology), Fortress and Phantom Zone, and he's one of the earliest big heroes of his universe.

And yes, I'd rec Mighty Avengers and Ultimates by Al Ewing to anyone here, as well as his Hyperion-focused Avengers 34.1 and his novel Gods of Manhattan (which has a predecessor in El Sombra and a followup in Pax Omega, both of which are also excellent) for anyone who wants to see more of him working with the Superman archetype.
    Buh-bye