Thread: Dkiii #6

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Dkiii #6

Through the five previous issues Frank Miller and Brian Azzarello have painstakingly taken their time in slowly unpacking the elements of their newest addition to the Dark Knight world; they reintroduced us to the characters, shown the passage of time and set the stage for the confrontation and at the end of the fifth issue it seem set to finally explode. Batman had unleashed a kryptonite rain and depowered the Kandoraians and then, "To be continued..." And now after four months we get to see it continued only for it to fizzle. We don't get the giant battle as promised, we get a few skirmishes and then the rain stops and the Kandorians simply flee...and on their way out seemingly kill Batman in an incredibly anti-climactic way. At first I thought the fault was that it had been so long between issues and that it would read better with the first five but instead it only felt weaker as in addition to not giving us the promised throw down it didn't address any of the B-plots that had been previously introduced. The added scope that those other layers gave the story in the previous issues make there absence here profoundly felt as with out them the plot seems too narrow and with that feeling and the high page count it makes for a bloated narrative that just feels like it's spinning its wheels.

It could still work out okay in the end, but as of right now this chapter was a let down.

Amazing Member

I agree, it was a huge let-down!

BANNED

Should have just been a 4 issue series tbh, at this rate it will end in November 2017 and that's assuming it lasts 9 issues.

Mighty Member

I quite liked it. Creepy in a good way. "Nothing like a common enemy to inspire a little civic pride", or Bruce words on the kandorians, with what seems as two corpses at his feet and Clark commenting on what he said.

Perhaps it could'v had more on the lynch mob vs the kryptonite crippled kandorians, but then Carrie had some good action. Downing Baal with her sling shoot and then her meeting Wonder Woman and Lara. Can't wait to see what that'll be about in the next issues. Especially with Bruce perhaps biting it (I'm betting Kent will get him to the current "batcave".)
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-24-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    I quite liked it. Creepy in a good way. "Nothing like a common enemy to inspire a little civic pride", or Bruce words on the kandorians, with what seems as two corpses at his feet and Clark commenting on what he said.

Perhaps it could'v had more on the lynch mob vs the kryptonite crippled kandorians, but then Carrie had some good action. Downing Baal with her sling shoot and then her meeting Wonder Woman and Lara. Can't wait to see what that'll be about in the next issues. Especially with Bruce perhaps biting it (I'm betting Kent will get him to the current "batcave".)
    Some of the one liners like that were pretty great but it just didn't match the set up for me.

This issue was kind of laughable. I would have gotten more out of a child's crayon drawing of Batman and Superman versus some random bad guys.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I had fun with it. Batman's xenophobia there was nicely hypocritical. Miller and Azz both write great hypocrites.

Who doesn't love an evil murdery priest getting his face smashed into the S-shield of justice? How do you not enjoy that?

The moral weight of what each person is doing and why becomes suitably heavy.

And, Wonder Woman isn't giving up on her daughter. Period.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)