Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Top 15 WTF Spider-Man Moments

Brian Cronin posted a list of the Top 15 WTF Spider-Man moments.

http://www.cbr.com/spider-mans-15-most-wtf-moments/

Personally, I'd have the unmasking or Otto and May's wedding over the spidermobile, which was made fun of in-comic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The many unmaskings of Spider Man wherein witnesses saw it was Peter and felt he was not cool enough to be Spidey, so it was a hoax. As I recall May even found one of his suits once and threw it out, thinking Peter was using it as a prank.

May's marriage to Ock. I mean, come on.

The random team up with The Watcher in Marvel Team Up back in the 80's, obscure, yes, but--the Watcher?!?!
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Otto and May's "wedding" made for a WTF cover, but in the context of the story its not so bad.

I've felt that his trip to the Savage Land under Roy Thomas was pretty odd. From JJJ thinking he could save the bugle with a story about a new big creature in a land no one's ever heard of, to asking Gwen to come along because ... , to Kraven's whole thing with an alien son baby. But hey, Gil Kane drawing Gwen in a bikini!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

weird, i never actually knew about #8.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    weird, i never actually knew about #8.
    That's because that story line happened in the PSA comics. And those comics are not in continuity.

I've been reading about this one and I think it deserves a mention: Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #11-12.
    Barring the odd, but ultimately entertaining retcon about the never seen before "friendship" between Doc Ock and the Green Goblin, there's a pretty controversial decision in the story to retcon Otto's old girlfriend's death into a ploy from Osborn. Thing is, Mary Alice had died from AIDS in a book years ago... so we're left with two ugly options: either a story that dealt with AIDS awareness was callously replaced with Osborn's cheap "deadly virus" shenanigans for plot purposes, or Osborn infected someone with AIDS. Can't decide which is worse and both make me go "WTF?".
    Last edited by Webhead; 10-24-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Otto and May's "wedding" made for a WTF cover, but in the context of the story its not so bad.

I've felt that his trip to the Savage Land under Roy Thomas was pretty odd. From JJJ thinking he could save the bugle with a story about a new big creature in a land no one's ever heard of, to asking Gwen to come along because ... , to Kraven's whole thing with an alien son baby. But hey, Gil Kane drawing Gwen in a bikini!
    Ha....funny you brought that Savage Land story up (ASM #103-104) because I just re-read it recently and it was certainly was odd as you say. Funny to think it was the first ASM story not written by Stan Lee and Roy really made it about as different as could be! Guess he really wanted to write Spidey fighting dinosaurs and then luring an alien baby into quicksand....

By the way, I wonder if this story was intended as a Marvel Team-Up story initially? Not sure if Roy Thomas was on MTU at the time but it reads more like a MTU story and, since it was the first non-Stan scripted story of ASM, it makes me wonder if it was shoehorned in to give Stan a breather since he was back on the title for the next story (the Spider-Slayer arc).

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    By the way, I wonder if this story was intended as a Marvel Team-Up story initially? Not sure if Roy Thomas was on MTU at the time but it reads more like a MTU story and, since it was the first non-Stan scripted story of ASM, it makes me wonder if it was shoehorned in to give Stan a breather since he was back on the title for the next story (the Spider-Slayer arc).
    ASM 103 had a cover date of December 1971 and MTU #1 had a cover date of March 1972. Makes you wonder if the oddness of this story led to the beginning of MTU, as a place to publish these kinds of offbeat stories.

In spite of its oddness, I do love the story. And...Gwen in a fur bikini always helps!

Ha....funny you brought that Savage Land story up (ASM #103-104) because I just re-read it recently and it was certainly was odd as you say. Funny to think it was the first ASM story not written by Stan Lee and Roy really made it about as different as could be! Guess he really wanted to write Spidey fighting dinosaurs and then luring an alien baby into quicksand...
    Probably Roy told Stan about it, but Stan was so busy he just agreed. Then he probably wondered later how that story got published!

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I've been reading about this one and I think it deserves a mention: Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #11-12.
    Barring the odd, but ultimately entertaining retcon about the never seen before "friendship" between Doc Ock and the Green Goblin, there's a pretty controversial decision in the story to retcon Otto's old girlfriend's death into a ploy from Osborn. Thing is, Mary Alice had died from AIDS in a book years ago... so we're left with two ugly options: either a story that dealt with AIDS awareness was callously replaced with Osborn's cheap "deadly virus" shenanigans for plot purposes, or Osborn infected someone with AIDS. Can't decide which is worse and both make me go "WTF?".
    I can never recall a two-parter descending so swiftly from very good to borderline offensively bad. The first part was an excellent, interesting and beautifully told story, but I genuinely wish that the second part had never happened.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I can never recall a two-parter descending so swiftly from very good to borderline offensively bad. The first part was an excellent, interesting and beautifully told story, but I genuinely wish that the second part had never happened.
    I agree, how terrible it became.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'd say the weirdest Spider-Man moment all time wasn't even in the comics. It was the video game Spider-Man Web of Shadows Amazing Allies edition. (Made for PS2 and PSP) Yes, the entire game. It was kind of a fun game but man I've never seen anything stranger from Marvel. I mean there was insurance fraud sidequest, a reporter asking Spider-Man to tie his shoes, another side quest where you carry a woman to her apartment because she forgot her keys only to reveal she just wanted to be held, this guy who was able to talk to rats, blind man selling newspapers during a symbiote invasion, and don't even get me started on the random cat that kept appearing anywhere and everywhere despite all the chaos going on.

BANNED

For me it is aunt may knocking him out with a flowerpot or something. Burglars and supervillains should keep it handy for whenever e shows up for not only can it knock him out but his spider sense doesnt seem to bother warning him about it. Speaking of spider sense the time wizard transplanted it into namor is also a contender. Imagine namor the submariner senses whatever a spider can.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    For me it is aunt may knocking him out with a flowerpot or something. Burglars and supervillains should keep it handy for whenever e shows up for not only can it knock him out but his spider sense doesnt seem to bother warning him about it. Speaking of spider sense the time wizard transplanted it into namor is also a contender. Imagine namor the submariner senses whatever a spider can.
    To be fair, that Aunt May scene (ASM #114-115) was written to explain that his Spidey-sense wouldn't detect the threat since it was his Aunt May. But, yeah, it was hokey regardless and it was one of a couple of hundred different scenes where his spider-sense worked or didn't work to serve the purpose of the story.

BANNED

To be fair, that Aunt May scene (ASM #114-115) was written to explain that his Spidey-sense wouldn't detect the threat since it was his Aunt May. But, yeah, it was hokey regardless and it was one of a couple of hundred different scenes where his spider-sense worked or didn't work to serve the purpose of the story.
    It also shows that he needlessly worried about her health as she must hide a lot of strength and vitality in her frail frame to knock out a guy with the proportionate strenghth of a spider