Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's an interesting idea and one that's not as impossible as it was a few years ago. While I think it's unlikely that a deal to share film rights with Fox has already been reached, I think there's enough chatter going around to hint that both sides are talking. By both sides, I mean the higher ups at Fox and the higher ups at Marvel Entertainment. Marvel Studios is a separate entity now that Marvel Entertainment does not control in any capacity. That is the biggest shift in terms of how Marvel deals with Fox now and I think it's going to show more and more down the line.

As I've said in the Complex thread, the split between Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios was a huge turning point. It's hard to overstate just how big a deal that is because it effectively took something from Marvel Entertainment that they helped build. The collective trust of Alan Fine, Isaac Pearlmutter, and Joe Quesada had a major hand in creating Marvel Studios. Now, it has been taken away from them and now Kevin Feige's operation. I think that was a huge blow in terms of Marvel Entertainment's influence. The movies were a big part of what helped Marvel rise to such prominence. Now they don't have any control over it anymore. That's a huge blow and one I doubt sits well with anyone in Marvel Entertainment.

Enter Fox, a company that has had mixed luck with its movies and TV properties lately. Marvel Entertainment still has significant say over what happens in a Fox-produced Marvel movie. When you see the opening credits of a Fox movie, it says "In association with Marvel Entertainment" and not Marvel Studios. That means Marvel Entertainment still has relationships and connections to Fox properties. Some have contributed to Fox movies like X-men. Some, like Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada, have even written for X-men in the past. They can't make Marvel movies anymore, but they can work with Fox. That gives them an incentive to develop X-men and F4 in a way they never had while they were still tied to Marvel Studios. Tom Brevoort flat out admitted that Marvel had a keen interest in developing properties to which they owned the sole rights and control over. Well, they have no control over Marvel Studios anymore, even if they have the rights. They may not have the rights to X-men and F4, but they do have control. The incentives to build bridges is definitely there.

On top of this, Fox just failed spectacularly with their latest F4 movie. Other than Deadpool, Fox's success has been limited at best. They need help from Marvel and Marvel needs them. Legion may be the first step in sharing resources. If it's a success, we'll see more like it. I doubt this means we'll see the X-men show up in any Avengers movies anytime soon, but it does bode well for TV and hopefully cartoons.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    or the Complex wasn't real
    You're the best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    It's an interesting idea and one that's not as impossible as it was a few years ago. While I think it's unlikely that a deal to share film rights with Fox has already been reached, I think there's enough chatter going around to hint that both sides are talking. By both sides, I mean the higher ups at Fox and the higher ups at Marvel Entertainment. Marvel Studios is a separate entity now that Marvel Entertainment does not control in any capacity. That is the biggest shift in terms of how Marvel deals with Fox now and I think it's going to show more and more down the line.

As I've said in the Complex thread, the split between Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios was a huge turning point. It's hard to overstate just how big a deal that is because it effectively took something from Marvel Entertainment that they helped build. The collective trust of Alan Fine, Isaac Pearlmutter, and Joe Quesada had a major hand in creating Marvel Studios. Now, it has been taken away from them and now Kevin Feige's operation. I think that was a huge blow in terms of Marvel Entertainment's influence. The movies were a big part of what helped Marvel rise to such prominence. Now they don't have any control over it anymore. That's a huge blow and one I doubt sits well with anyone in Marvel Entertainment.

Enter Fox, a company that has had mixed luck with its movies and TV properties lately. Marvel Entertainment still has significant say over what happens in a Fox-produced Marvel movie. When you see the opening credits of a Fox movie, it says "In association with Marvel Entertainment" and not Marvel Studios. That means Marvel Entertainment still has relationships and connections to Fox properties. Some have contributed to Fox movies like X-men. Some, like Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada, have even written for X-men in the past. They can't make Marvel movies anymore, but they can work with Fox. That gives them an incentive to develop X-men and F4 in a way they never had while they were still tied to Marvel Studios. Tom Brevoort flat out admitted that Marvel had a keen interest in developing properties to which they owned the sole rights and control over. Well, they have no control over Marvel Studios anymore, even if they have the rights. They may not have the rights to X-men and F4, but they do have control. The incentives to build bridges is definitely there.

On top of this, Fox just failed spectacularly with their latest F4 movie. Other than Deadpool, Fox's success has been limited at best. They need help from Marvel and Marvel needs them. Legion may be the first step in sharing resources. If it's a success, we'll see more like it. I doubt this means we'll see the X-men show up in any Avengers movies anytime soon, but it does bode well for TV and hopefully cartoons.
    That's an interesting take on it. So many people have been focusing on a collaboration between Fox and Marvel Studio that the relationship between Fox and Marvel ENTERTAINMENT has been overlooked. In fact I think there's a lot of people who don't even realize that they're two separate entities.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's an interesting take on it. So many people have been focusing on a collaboration between Fox and Marvel Studio that the relationship between Fox and Marvel ENTERTAINMENT has been overlooked. In fact I think there's a lot of people who don't even realize that they're two separate entities.
    Yap, I think that it all a matter of incentives. Up to the "Feige's Coup", Marvel Entertainment (Comics and TV) had an incentive to push properties whose films right they possessed, and make the comics more similar to the movies. Now with the comics writters and Perlmutter kicked from Marvel Studios, and the TV side of Marvel finally realizing that the movies will never acknowledge anything from the TV shows, the incentives for the Comics and TV is to attain influence by using a properties which the film studios cannot touch: the X-men. That and stop the "merger" between comics and film continuity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I think that covers it. Rich Johnston has been saying ad nauseam that Ike and pals would pull an enemy mine against marvel studios eventually, and it seems this one it is. Also studios cancelled the inhuman movie that was Ike pet project.
    I wonder if we'll see in the news that marvel entertainment has partnered with Fox to develop an F4 movie, it wouldn't be exactly part of the MU but the publicity would help

Can't wait to see the X-men Blue and Gold books be Marvel's bestsellers

This may be a dumb question, but, will AT&T buying Time Warner have any impact on this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but, will AT&T buying Time Warner have any impact on this?
    Nope, hell I don't even know if the buy will happen... If trump wins he's probably gonna stop it

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    Can't wait to see the X-men Blue and Gold books be Marvel's bestsellers
    I hope so but that heavily depends on the creative teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I hope so but that heavily depends on the creative teams.
    And rosters

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    No, but it might affect DC a couple of years down the line.

There's another very good reason that Ike Perlmutter seems to have lost his influence. He's on the verge of getting kicked out of the company.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...r-loses-938955
    Sounds like bringing the company into disrepute to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    And rosters
    Of course, and plots. There are many variables here but I'm hoping for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Of course, and plots. There are many variables here but I'm hoping for the best.
    Yes yes me too lol. A lot of that is determined by creative teams though so you're right.

BANNED

Wait....what is this huge split in Marvel studios?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Wait....what is this huge split in Marvel studios?
    Ike Perlmutter and Kevin Fiege had some friction between each other (for reasons that probably have hilariously little to do with the X-Men) so Fiege went straight to the top and had Bob Iger restructure the Marvel branch of Disney.

Before it was:
    Iger (Chairman of the Board)
    ^
    Perlmutter (CEO of Marvel Entertainment)
    ^
    Fiege (President of Marvel Studios)

Now it's:
    Iger
    ^
    Alan Horn (Chairman of Walt Disney Studios)
    ^
    Fiege

Perlmutter is still at the top of all non-movie related Marvel endeavors.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 10-24-2016 at 07:29 PM.