Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Scott Snyder All Star-Batman interview

http://www.newsarama.com/31561-scott...ar-batman.html

So, this man helps batman.. that reminds me Batman Animated Series, in one chapter Batman had one mechanic for repair the Batmobile...
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-14-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Incredible Member

Of course even Didio, he's so out for Dick Grayson you'd think he'd slept with his Mom.

Another thread to throw the crap on Duke...
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 10-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.

So has it been confirmed who the next villain after the Two-Face arc will be?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post
    Yep........
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Hahahahah this was exactly what I was thinking. That, and that everything he said in that interview is obviously "lies".

Snyder said he likes the Batfam. I'm shocked....
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

I think I'll sit this one out

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So has it been confirmed who the next villain after the Two-Face arc will be?
    I think it's Mr. Freeze, but don't quote me on that.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think I'll sit this one out
    I mean, I'm going to keep checking on it, but I don't have anything to say. I'm so unmotivated to read All Star Batman I haven't even glanced at more than the backup (and man, am I disappointed at the random way Snyder is using the colors - instead of making a system for Batman to train Duke, he just has color dreams or something).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

OK.. I change my comment, but the interview is the guilty of this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I mean, I'm going to keep checking on it, but I don't have anything to say. I'm so unmotivated to read All Star Batman I haven't even glanced at more than the backup (and man, am I disappointed at the random way Snyder is using the colors - instead of making a system for Batman to train Duke, he just has color dreams or something).
    Okay, okay. Wouldn't it be funny if Geoff Johns was intentionally giving Snyder terrible ideas for Duke so he can destroy the character without actually having to tell Snyder to get rid of him and hurting his feelings?

That's not really Duke bashing, just a funny idea.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Great interview overall. I like when writers give meaty interviews.

Some good even further explanation of what Duke is all about as a character/where he's going:
    SNYDER: I felt like Duke had already become Robin a way that was new and exciting to me, where he was sort of Robin as a concept and Robin as something that inspired other kids, and wasn't in need of a Batman. And that felt very modern, in the way that kids today construct their identities from the things they choose. There's no central fountain of culture anymore. It's sort of like, you pick the thing that you like and you make yourself out of scratch that way. And I loved the idea of him making Robin with these other kids.

So this really became about, where can we land him and give him a mission and a thing to do — a real statement and a kind of goal that's in his psychology, that was true to the character and also did something we haven't seen before in the Bat-universe. Not just another person running around in a Bat-costume.

So I'm very excited about this story. You'll see pieces of who he becomes, in his superhero identity, coming through.
    Some good stuff on what Snyder wants to say about his idea of Batman overall (via Duke):

SNYDER: [Duke] believes Batman is there as a concept to inspire, and to inspire you to become a hero.

To me, that's deeply modern in that our version of Batman, that's what he is, as opposed to someone who scares people back into the shadows — as he was when I was growing up. In a post-9/11 world, it makes a lot more sense to have a Batman who makes good people be brave in the face of these huge, over-arching fears. My kids aren't afraid of things that are provincial the way I was when I was in New York. I was afraid of things in the dark that came with urban decay, but they're afraid of gun violence and terrorism and things that are bigger issues.

Not to get too abstract, but it feels like Batman is saying, I am here to fight these big, monstrous things as an extension of this hope that you will be able to take steps toward whatever it is you're frightened of, even if these things seem huge and insurmountable.

In the light of that, why wouldn't Duke say, I don't need to be a sidekick. But if he's going to put me through the ringer that got him to where he is, then I can figure out who I am. That I'll do. So if Robin is a program where he's saying "I need your help, so be here to help me," this is more of a [training] program where he's saying, "I need allies, so figure yourself out."
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-14-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm starting to wonder if they'll go in the direction of Duke as a vigilante/social worker. Is that what his parents did? I guess that feels like something we don't have in Gotham at the moment, especially in light of Batman taking multiple kids and turning them into vigilante's .

"So this really became about, where can we land him and give him a mission and a thing to do — a real statement and a kind of goal that's in his psychology, that was true to the character and also did something we haven't seen before in the Bat-universe. Not just another person running around in a Bat-costume.""

This excerpt is very strange. Dukes character is fine and there's plenty of room for growth but the most notable thing Snyders has done for him is give him a suit with the Bat symbol on it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if they'll go in the direction of Duke as a vigilante/social worker. Is that what his parents did? I guess that feels like something we don't have in Gotham at the moment, especially in light of Batman taking multiple kids and turning them into vigilante's .
    Mom works in the court system. I can't tell you what Dad does because Snyder ignores him.

"So this really became about, where can we land him and give him a mission and a thing to do — a real statement and a kind of goal that's in his psychology, that was true to the character and also did something we haven't seen before in the Bat-universe. Not just another person running around in a Bat-costume.""

This excerpt is very strange. Dukes character is fine and there's plenty of room for growth but the most notable thing Snyder has done for him is give him a suit with the Bat symbol on it.
    Excluding All Star Bat Jesus #3-we haven't seen them together in Gotham for the most part.

To me it smells of we can get him trained by Bat Jesus and then toss him on his own like we have see Teen Titan's Robin and even Young Justice Robins on tv that is.

This to me is the RED FLAG

The thing I was the most concerned about is landing Duke the right way.

There's always backlash and animosity with any new character that comes in. We saw it with Harper, and I remember seeing it with Damian, when that character first came in.

But my sense of it is, we didn't want to abandon him. And I had a good talk with Geoff Johns. And he was like, look, there are a couple missions that we really need in Gotham and outside Gotham. What do you think of these? And I was like, I've had the same idea about two of these things. I think this could work really well.

Because Dan [DiDio] and I had discussed making him Robin or making him Nightwing — and that could have happened — but I just thought that would have felt (and no offense, because there are plenty of stories I love where, like, Bucky becomes Captain America or another character sort of steps into the mantle of the main character), but you always know the main character's coming back in some way. And even though it gives him a great spotlight, it's always sort of a springboard to something else.
    A cheap shot at Marvel.

Missions outside of Gotham and JOHNS was the original topic starter on that. What is the mission outside of Gotham? Teen Titans? Young Justice? Outsiders? We do know Batman will be the focus of the summer 2017 big event-so that means Duke will have a part.

If Dan & Johns are sticking their nose in this-I can see a long line of ticked off fans who will see what is going on.