Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default who's enjoying the current run of Doctor strange by Jason Aaron ?

I'm really enjoying the current Doctor Strange book its really intense , humours and fun ! the current problem with Doctor Strange having hardly any magic really makes things interesting for the Master Of The Mystical Arts !

i have :3
    10chr

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

I'm following the book as a Dr Strange fan, but I haven't really enjoyed it. The whole idea of "destroying" magic bothers me, it seems shortsighted and ignore a lot of characters and concepts that should have been affected if this story is as important as it seems to want to be. Characters/concepts like Black Knight, Juggernaut, all the pantheons, the Darkhold, Ghost Riders, vampires, etc., all are things that this story either wants us to pretend they don't exist or killed/destroyed off panel. This seems like a story that would make more sense out of continuity, not in the Marvel Universe.
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

I like it.

I've never read any Strange solos so the retconing or whatever wouldn't afffect me. I've only seen him in team settings.

from what i've heard of past stories, I can def understand long time fans being disgruntled though
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

When it started, I hated it. Now, it's... gotten a tad better. If it continues, I can see it finding its footing.

The issues I read (I think just the first one) I found fun, had a good balence of humor, weirdness and stakes. I'll proabably try to pick it up in the large hardcovers has they come out.

I do feel fans that hated the Magic Tony Stark angle though.

I liked it so far, although the art can be kinda confusing sometimes (although is the usual with Bachalo). But it's an interesting direction to see Strange with his powers heavily affected (all of us know that sooner or later he'll return to his usual power levels).

I dig it, it's great.

Its hard to imagine Aaron and Bachalo doing anything that was less
    than worth reading - and most likely whatever they do will be awesome.

The creature generated from the pain of Strange is especially badass.

It's been mostly a good fun read. However much of my enjoyment has personally been removed for me by the disregarding of past Dr Strange continuity and the lack of logic within these changes*. Also I'm sick of story lines where they've removed Strange's powers, which over the past years seem to be occurring with ever increasing frequency.

I love Bachalo's art, but I don't like the new look he and Aaron have made for Strange. It looks like Dr Strange is taking part in some larping event.

I thought the Empirikul was a great villain, but he seemed to be taken out too easily by our mostly depowered hero considering that the Empirikul had destroyed magical powers in countless other dimensions.
    Also in this story I found Aaron's Strange was annoying in refusing to go to Stark for help. Willing to risk life and magic itself apparently because this was their problem and had to be solved by them.

So it's been a bit of a curate's egg for me I'm afraid. It's fun but I keep hitting speed bumps.

*Why add this particular type of 'cost of magic' to provide a braking effect for his powers when Aaron destroys all magic in his first story?!!

It's a run that's probably better enjoyed without any in-depth knowledge or experience in regards to Strange's characterization, history, and the rules and use of magic in the MU in general.

I don't think it's been some of Aaron's best work, personally.

While I feel this book is absolutely contrary to Dr Strange's personality, it is a really fun book. As someone who was a pretty big fan of strange back when I was younger it is weird to read this book because he seems to be acting out of character all the time but Aaron has really done a good job crafting and interesting and fun story. It does help as well that Bachalo is on art because he is one of my favorite artists. While I personally preferred the old characterization of Strange, it might have been difficult to craft an ongoing series with that characterization. Aaron has added some aspects to his character and while they may not be consistent with his previous appearances it has made for an enjoyable book.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I gave it a try but I gave up after the 5th issue. I haven't really read much of classic Dr. Strange stories, but I disliked the cost of magic/magic is dying stuff and some of the characterization.

As someone who has never been a huge Doctor Strange fan. While I'm still confused why Strange looks like he's in his 20's now when they've referenced past events I still found that I honestly enjoyed how Jason Aaron has written this series so far and that I didn't hate the last days of magic story and it's aftermath. I'm sure there are better stories but I'm glad I started it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm enjoying it for what it is, even if it isn't exactly my idea of what a Dr. Strange book should be...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I hate the art, which is harsh to type but the monochrome pages drive me mad. I feel like the colorist goes "this will be my blue page" and just drowns every panel in said washed out hue. then lines are penned in triple-thick to keep things from bleeding together and the result ... It just doesnt work for me at all.