Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I really like it - I also like some classic Doctor Strange but I don't want to read the same story over and over again, so this is a different interpretation of the character, so why not

Amazing Member

Enjoying it, one of my favorite reads currently.

It's a classic "what makes the hero" story. Is it the suit that makes Iron Man a hero, or the super soldier serum for Cap or the gadgets for Batman? Strange had everything ripped down around him. Instead of an OP world destroyer who bargains with angels and fights cthulus, we've got a Strange who has to MacGyver his way through until he gets this groove back.

With the movie imminent and hopefully new readers along with it, it's much better than the other option... "Dr. Strange, Year One". You do know that was your other choice, right?

Invincible Member

As a comic...strictly judging it on story and art...it's pretty decent. But I agree that Doc is being written way out of character.

My personal opinion...
    Not as great as Stern, Gillis or Thomas...
    But much better than Straczynkski and most, if not all, Dr. Strange appearances since the '90s.
    And, of course, I won't bother comparing it to Lee & Ditko. Would be unfair.

And I'm one of the few that loves Bachalo's art, as I think it gives it a unique flavor much like Sienkiewicz did with New Mutants (which are the only issues I still have of that series, after years of purges).

I've only read the first couple issues, but with the recent price drop on Comixology I'll probably be getting the next few.
    Unless they start filling in the gaps of volume two.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Is Dr. Strange being written totally out of character? Absolutely, that said I am actually really enjoying this series. There's just something about this series that speaks to me and actually makes me care for the good Doctor. Zelma is very much a welcome addition and for the first time since Generation X I am actually liking and (for the most part) able to follow Bachalo's artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWestPaladin View Post
    Enjoying it, one of my favorite reads currently.

It's a classic "what makes the hero" story. Is it the suit that makes Iron Man a hero, or the super soldier serum for Cap or the gadgets for Batman? Strange had everything ripped down around him. Instead of an OP world destroyer who bargains with angels and fights cthulus, we've got a Strange who has to MacGyver his way through until he gets this groove back.

With the movie imminent and hopefully new readers along with it, it's much better than the other option... "Dr. Strange, Year One". You do know that was your other choice, right?
    The problem with "tearing a character down to see what makes him tick", as I've said elsewhere about other characters, is that so few writers are interested in what comes afterwards. It's gotten to the point where the ONLY story people tell about Strange is "How does he react to losing his powers?" The only reason he's repowered is so that he can be "deconstructed" again.

It's like Cap losing the Serum. Or Tony on the run without his money/armor. Or Thor without his hammer. Yes, these CAN be good stories... but they shouldn't be the ONLY stories.

I've been loving it, but can understand some of the concerns regarding characterization, especially regarding some speech. I think Bachalo's art is extremely dynamic and fits the tone. It's high octane and really adds something to the action sequences.

And it's doing what I feel should've been done ages ago, which is map out some rules regarding magic, some "restrictions". I feel like that will make for a better supernatural corner for the MU.

The only thing I'd like to see more of are established supernatural characters. I like the addition of some original characters and will be getting Sorcerer's Supreme when it comes out, but I'd love to see characters like Blade, Hellstrom and Ghost Rider show up too. Satanna appearing next issue has me excited though.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

The art just kind of ruins if for me. I enjoyed some of the story, but again, the art. Also, they made the good doctor too much of a ditz. Lastly, to me, if someone sees the movie and decides they will try the comic for the first time, I think they will quit after the first issue. It is not really written for the non comic fan. I am reading it because I am a Strange fan, but I am just surprised that with a new movie, the comic does not seem all that accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    And it's doing what I feel should've been done ages ago, which is map out some rules regarding magic, some "restrictions". I feel like that will make for a better supernatural corner for the MU.
    It WAS done ages ago, in the first run of OFFICIAL HANDBOOK TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE. And re-iterated almost a decade ago in MARVEL TAROT. The problem is, too many writers ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    It WAS done ages ago, in the first run of OFFICIAL HANDBOOK TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE. And re-iterated almost a decade ago in MARVEL TAROT. The problem is, too many writers ignored it.
    Hopefully, they'll get a tight enough reign over the supernatural goings-on and establish something that lasts then.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Hopefully, they'll get a tight enough reign over the supernatural goings-on and establish something that lasts then.
    You mean like how magic is utterly destroyed in Doctor Strange... and pretty much every other book with a magic-using character isn't affected?

i like it. i know some fans are grumpy because Aaron has took away all his powers and essentially killed magic. but i think its an interesting look at Strange without powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i like it. i know some fans are grumpy because Aaron has took away all his powers and essentially killed magic. but i think its an interesting look at Strange without powers.
    The problem is, they KEEP depowering him. The last time was in NEw Avengers, between 2008 and 2010. And he'd been written as underpowered even earlier.

(Anyone else remember "magic can't duplicate what science has created"?)

It's deeply irritating that he FINALLY gets an ongoing again, after being treated like a skunk-haired stepchild for so long... only to see him written out of character and stripped of everything that makes him interesting. And for what... synergy with an upcoming movie that isn't even following Aaron's nebulous "Magic has a price and you have to eat garbage" philosophy?

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    The problem is, they KEEP depowering him. The last time was in NEw Avengers, between 2008 and 2010. And he'd been written as underpowered even earlier.

(Anyone else remember "magic can't duplicate what science has created"?)

It's deeply irritating that he FINALLY gets an ongoing again, after being treated like a skunk-haired stepchild for so long... only to see him written out of character and stripped of everything that makes him interesting. And for what... synergy with an upcoming movie that isn't even following Aaron's nebulous "Magic has a price and you have to eat garbage" philosophy?

Meh.
    I would imagine it is especially brutal considering Hickman let Strange unleash a bit during his run.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Its pretty solid!