Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Default Doctor Strange Movie (Spoilers, duh)

It's out in the UK now. And I didn't see a discussion thread for the movie post-release.

Anyway I thought it was epic. Solid 9/10 Marvel movie, and easily in my top 3 MCU movies. The magic looked amazing, I think the inception comparison will get blown out of the water pretty fast because they go way way way crazier than that movie ever did.

All his magical artifacts were cool as balls, especially the cloak. AND IT WAS SO DAMN TRIPPY. Portions of Doctor Strange are like someone sits you down in a room with strobe lighting and gives you hash brownies, LSD & a kaleidoscope.

It bumps Cap 2 out of the 3rd place in my favourite MCU movies but doesn't quite beat out Civil War and GOTG.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    It's out in the UK now. And I didn't see a discussion thread for the movie post-release.

Anyway I thought it was epic. Solid 9/10 Marvel movie, and easily in my top 3 MCU movies. The magic looked amazing, I think the inception comparison will get blown out of the water pretty fast because they go way way way crazier than that movie ever did.

All his magical artifacts were cool as balls, especially the cloak. AND IT WAS SO DAMN TRIPPY. Portions of Doctor Strange are like someone sits you down in a room with strobe lighting and gives you hash brownies, LSD & a kaleidoscope.

It bumps Cap 2 out of the 3rd place in my favourite MCU movies but doesn't quite beat out Civil War and GOTG.
    Dormammu cameo or refference?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Dormammu cameo or refference?
    Neither, technically.

Neither, technically.
    Technically, what does that mean? I woulda bet good money the after credit scene would either be someone saying his name or a quick glimpse of his head. Myabe they are saving him to be the big bad after thanos iono. Sttange not being told about dormammu seems weirds. Soemthing a sorcerer supreme should know

BANNED

Technically, what does that mean? I woulda bet good money the after credit scene would either be someone saying his name or a quick glimpse of his head. Myabe they are saving him to be the big bad after thanos iono. Sttange not being told about dormammu seems weirds. Soemthing a sorcerer supreme should know
    Idk what he's talking about. Dormammu is a pretty huge deal in the movie, Kaecilius (main villain) summons him around the end of the film and Cumberbatch apparently did mo cap for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    Idk what he's talking about. Dormammu is a pretty huge deal in the movie, Kaecilius (main villain) summons him around the end of the film and Cumberbatch apparently did mo cap for him.
    How did he look? Gigantic with a flaming head?

BANNED

How did he look? Gigantic with a flaming head?
    Uhh...very odd. Rainbow colored, completely CG, insanely massive blob. Hated the voice and his dialogue was stupid. The entire final fight, as in most Marvel films (imo) , was pretty terrible and definitely shot down my rating of this film.

Uhh...very odd. Rainbow colored, completely CG, insanely massive blob. Hated the voice and his dialogue was stupid. The entire final fight, as in most Marvel films (imo) , was pretty terrible and definitely shot down my rating of this film.
    Completely cg is a good, rainbow colors blob not so much.

How about Mordo, he looks like he could be a very interesting character, plus i love the actor curious how he did

BANNED

Completely cg is a good, rainbow colors blob not so much.

How about Mordo, he looks like he could be a very interesting character, plus i love the actor curious how he did
    Really wish they did more with Mordo, he was cool though, Chiwetel did a good job. I just wish there could've been more hints of him turning villainous in the future. The second end credits scene definitely sets up the idea of Mordo turning bad
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-25-2016 at 10:23 PM.

That's what I meant, he's neither a reference or a cameo, he's in the movie for a good chunk of time in the last act

How was Cumberbatch's performance? I read at one site that he was good, but nothing stood out. Is is true?

Anyway I thought it was epic. Solid 9/10 Marvel movie. The magic looked amazing, I think the inception comparison will get blown out of the water pretty fast because they go way way way crazier than that movie ever did.

Agree with you, really had a blast yesterday, the visuals have been stunning. I thought the portrayal of Doctor Strange from Benedict Cumberbatch was good, really gave him the aura of superiority. I liked it. As for Dormammu - I think it is tricky to get it on screen but it was done okay. Looking forward to see more of Mordo. As for the end fight - well I don't expect anything anymore. Still the first 60-80 minutes or so made this very enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    How was Cumberbatch's performance? I read at one site that he was good, but nothing stood out. Is is true?
    Pretty standard for him, tbh Tilda Swinton's performance steals a lot of the movie. Cumberbatch's performance is good, believable but nothing to really write home about.

I don't agree with this, he was a face as he was made up of the dark dimension. We haven't seen his actual form.

Quote Originally Posted by caramon View Post
    Agree with you, really had a blast yesterday, the visuals have been stunning. I thought the portrayal of Doctor Strange from Benedict Cumberbatch was good, really gave him the aura of superiority. I liked it. As for Dormammu - I think it is tricky to get it on screen but it was done okay. Looking forward to see more of Mordo. As for the end fight - well I don't expect anything anymore. Still the first 60-80 minutes or so made this very enjoyable to watch.
    The ending to me felt more doctor strange, as he doesn't really get more fight wise than he when fighting mads and his minions in the sanctum. I didn't really need a repeat of that for the finale, so the Dormammu blackmail sequence instead was much more suited to how Strange works. Another big magic fight wouldn't have fit as the final imo.

Also the cloak bashing the crap out of that one guy for a whole 5 minutes was one of the best marvel moments in this phase.

How do they play mordo? is he heroic, friends with strange.. etc

Amazing Member

Hey guys,

I saw the movie on sunday at Comic Con Paris, and i loved the movie, not my favorite marvel movie, but definitly one of the better/higher ranked ones in my opinion.
    I thought that Cumberbatch was really good as Strange and is like RDJ is to Tony Stark.

Even though this is a Origin movie and had the usual beats that these kind of movies have, it didn't feel like a re hash or boring during the movie.
    Strange's arc is good (even if its predictable) and the first time he is standing there with the eye of agamotto and the cloak, i had a huge smile on my face.

For the side characters, wong was solid and enjoyed the fact that he isn't just seen as an aid, the ancient one was solid and my favorite side character is the cloak and i think it will a lot of peoples fav.

Mordo is on Strange's side at the begining and i liked how his arc progressed and hopefully will be on par with Loki as a villain in the sequel.

Also i liked the third act and how Strange won the day, it was different from the other movies.

I thought that the visuals were stunning and it's the first time I have found that the 3D actually enhances the experience.

On the flip side, as per usual with the MCU movies, the villains weren't great, not bad but not great.

Kaecilius didn't have time to be fleshed out as its a Dr Strange origin movie, and Mads Mikelsen was good but the character's motivations were very standard.
    Dormammu was interessing but looked wierd and in the end didn't do much and didn't seem that intimadating.

I really enjoyed the movie and definitly going to see it again.

can't wait for him to pop up in Thor 3 even though it will be a minor cameo and looking forward to see Dr Strange with Tony.