Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I don't agree with this, he was a face as he was made up of the dark dimension. We haven't seen his actual form.
    I still think he looked terrible and that that whole fight was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    How was Cumberbatch's performance? I read at one site that he was good, but nothing stood out. Is is true?
    He makes more jokes/quips than Tony Stark. Otherwise, not a bad performance.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

I saw it yesterday and was disappointed, I'd struggle to give it more than a 6/10.
    Here's why...

LIGHT SPOILERS-

My fav MCU films and rough scores-
    -Avengers 10/10
    -Cap Trilogy 8/10, 9/10, 9/10
    -GOTG 9/10
    -IM 9/10

I think the MCU films are best when the comedy elements/quips are reigned in and we get deeper character exploration.
    The exception to this for me was GOTG, but then those characters, being so off the wall and bunch of space criminals lent
    themselves better to that and the film was was very well made.

For me Dr Strange got the balance of the broth wrong.
    I left the theater feeling nothing.
    Detractors sometimes make the comparison of MCU films and fast food. I can honestly say I see the similarity MS 14th feature,
    like a McDonald's burger- the meaty goodness (character depth, great action scenes) is watered down with too
    much sugar and fat (continual quips that seem to function as an apology for the source material). This film veers into self parody
    territory much like Thor 2 & IM3. General points...

GOOD
    -Cumberbatch was well cast and when he's playing it straight is perfect in the role.
    -The early part of the film before he goes on the pilgrimage was promising and seemed to have a bit more depth than the average
    Marvel flick.
    -The Multi-verse segments are visually spectacular and well executed.
    -The car crash/waking up in bed with wrecked hands is quite brutal for an MCU film.
    -The time controlling spell was depicted in a cool way.

BAD
    -The morphing building effect looks awesome in the first scene, not so much later on, but I was hoping and expecting that it was going to be
    explained why the the scenery was doing that. Not so. Instead the filmmakers obviously just thought- 'Hey that would look cool!', let's throw it in!'
    -As noted too many goofy, non funny quips that seem to function to continually apologise for the source material and hamper any
    real character exploration...
    -Like for example when he is supposedly at his lowest/most humbled point- just starting to learn the mystic arts in the monastery
    in Nepal yet he is making quips about Beyonce with Wong. This did not ring true to me about how someone would act in this situation.
    -Especially because Strange was never a quipper in the comics, he's not Spider-Man. This stuff just made me feel like the 'Marvel Formula'
    was starting to strain and was too obvious.
    -Tilda Swinton sucked and was wholly unconvincing as 'The Ancient One'. Why could we not have had an 70 plus year old Nepalese actor?
    Why the f would the character be a white westerner? I know this has been moaned about months ago, but I wouldn't have minded so much
    if it hadn't have taken me out of the film so much.
    -The fight scene at the SS in NYC could have been awesome without the goofy comedy with the cloak.
    -Strange's side-kicks have no depth.
    -Dormammu was dissapointing, just basically a big wavey head and nothing like his comicbook design.
    -The way Strange wins in the end is basically treated as a gag.
    -I bet Steve Ditko would agree with these points.

'Kinda a shame because there was definitely a great film in there but it gets lost in the fatty sinews.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 10-26-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    I saw it yesterday and was disappointed, I'd struggle to give it more than a 6/10.
    Here's why...

LIGHT SPOILERS-

-Avengers 10/10
    -GOTG 9/10
    -IM 9/10

I think the MCU films are best when the comedy elements/quips are reigned in and we get deeper character exploration.
    The exception to this for me was GOTG, but then those characters, being so off the wall and bunch of space criminals lent

Detractors sometimes make the comparison of MCU films and fast food. I can honestly say I see the similarity MS 14th feature,
    like a McDonald's burger- the meaty goodness (character depth, great action scenes) is watered down with too
    much sugar and fat (continual quips that seem to function as an apology for the source material). This film veers into self parody

GOOD
    -Cumberbatch was well cast and when he's playing it straight is perfect in the role.
    -The early part of the film before he goes on the pilgrimage was promising and seemed to have a bit more depth than the average
    Marvel flick.
    -The car crash/waking up in bed with wrecked hands is quite brutal for an MCU film.

BAD
    -The morphing building effect looks awesome in the first scene, not so much later on, but I was hoping and expecting that it was going to be
    explained why the the scenery was doing that. Not so. Instead the filmmakers obviously just thought- 'Hey that would look cool!', let's throw it in!'
    -As noted too many goofy, non funny quips that seem to function to continually apologise for the source material and hamper any
    -Like for example when he is supposedly at his lowest/most humbled point- just starting to learn the mystic arts in the monastery
    in Nepal yet he is making quips about Beyonce with Wong. This did not ring true to me about how someone would act in this situation.
    -Especially because Strange was never a quipper in the comics, he's not Spider-Man. This stuff just made me feel like the 'Marvel Formula'
    was starting to strain and obvious.
    -Tilda Swinton sucked and was wholly unconvincing as 'The Ancient One'. Why could we not have had an 70 plus year old Nepalese actor?
    Why the f would the character be a white westerner? I know this has been moaned about months ago, but I wouldn't have minded so much
    -The fight scene at the SS in NYC could have been awesome without the goofy comedy with the cloak.
    -Dormammu was dissapointing, just basically a big wavey head and nothing like his comicbook design.

Kinda a shame because their was definitely a great film in there but it gets lost in the fatty sinews.
    It's Nepali actually.

Spider-Man levels of quipping? That's bad. I have to lower my expectations now. Man, I didn't think they would make Dr. Strange a quipper. I thought they would take this more akin to Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    Here's why...

LIGHT SPOILERS-

-Avengers 10/10
    -GOTG 9/10
    -IM 9/10

GOOD
    Marvel flick.

BAD

'Kinda a shame because there was definitely a great film in there but it gets lost in the fatty sinews.

Seen a few reviews now saying thr SS fight scene was great.

Were his quips suppose to be funny? Or more spidermanish where hes mostly trying to be annoying? Dr strange should be more seruious, the humor should be situational. Like the wifi scene from the trailer or even the Cloak gag i keep.hearing about. Not strange trying to be funny, if he met strak or.spiderman in the movies they should quip about how self serious he is. So thats disappointing but ill still be there on nov 4 to see it.

Ultimate Member

I had issues with the humor also. Some of it was good, some of it not so good. My bigger issue with it is a similar issue that I had with other Marvel films (IM2, IM3, and Thor: TDK come to mind immediately in this regard). Namely, it honestly felt to me like Marvel just going "we'll we're Marvel, we're known for our humor, so we've got to stick a bunch of jokes in there." And like those other films, the humor isn't integrated into the narrative, or placed in the correct spots, as well as I would have liked/hoped.

In many ways, this is a Marvel films, with all of the positives and negatives that that entails. On the positive side:

-Cumberbatch is really good in the lead role (no surprise there for me).
    -The rest of the cast works well overall.
    -A lot of the visuals look great.
    -The music is quite good.
    -Etc.

On the more negative side:

-The villain isn't all that interesting (and yet again Marvel fails to use a great actor to their full potential, stop doing that Marvel).
    -The LI is really underused (and yet again Marvel underuses a talented actress in this regard, stop doing that Marvel).
    -I'm sorry, but I still got taken out of the movie by the whole TAO thing. It was just awkward.
    -The aforementioned problems with the humor.
    -Etc.

BANNED

3/5

good, but very formulaic.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Never understood the formulaic criticism.

It's a Marvel Origin Story, all origin stories follow the same story, emotional and structure beats from Thor to Ant Man to Captain America to Iron Man to Doctor Strange.

BANNED

Yeah but instead of paying 14,5€ for a IMAX 3D to see the same story beats as before, I can just play Iron Man 1 again and have a better time.

- better pacing
    - better villain
    - better characters

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Never understood the formulaic criticism.

It's a Marvel Origin Story, all origin stories follow the same story, emotional and structure beats from Thor to Ant Man to Captain America to Iron Man to Doctor Strange.
    I never understood the formulatic criticism either. Like Captain America and Ant-Man are totally the same movie.

Not only it's false, but even if it's true, so what? Jackie Chan movies are formulatic. Does that make them bad?

And all these so called "different" movies are formulaic in their own right. I can easily see what a Chirstopher Nolan, a Tarantino, or a Scorsese movie is going to be like. That doesn't make them any less great.

And it's not like I don't have issues with MCU. I have many(their going overboard with humor, stopping the movie to set up the next one and other). But being formulatic isn't one of them.

Fantastic Member

The biggest problem I had was the excessive shaky cam and rapid camera changes during the fight scenes they made it really hard to follow and actually gave me eye strain which is a first for me not even any of the Bourne films have done that to me before (yes it was my regular cinema).

Typical dull undeveloped villain and the messy CGI blob at the end looked worse than the CGI blob in Green Lantern.

I really liked this movie. I think it will do well with audiences whether they're familiar with the source material or not. I don't usually like seeing movies in 3D, but I didn't have a choice where I live now. It was worth it this time around.

One thing that went over my head was The Ancient One and her message to Strange towards the end of her life. It dawns on Strange that he could have his old life back, but after further conversation he seems to realize that he has a chance to be apart of a cause bigger than himself. At least that is how I took it. What of his hands though? He can cure the shaking right? Or is he just going to live with it now as he feels it's not that big of a deal?

Also, we see one of the disciples missing a hand while still being able to perform magic. How far can this extend though? What if someone has no arms or legs?

Especially because Strange was never a quipper in the comics, he's not Spider-Man. This stuff just made me feel like the 'Marvel Formula'
    It's been too obvious for a long time now.

Ultimate Member

Because you can only see the same basic story so many times until it gets tedious and boring. If you're going to do an origin story, at least change it up and do something creative with it. Also there's a reason why so many people have drawn comparisons to the first IM film and Tony's arc here. Because it's really hard not to notice the similarities, and IM was a better all-around film that this (which makes it all the more annoying).

If I wanted this story again, then I could just pop in my Blu-ray copy of IM and watch that for free in instead of paying like $15 to see it in theatres in another film.

BANNED

I remember Feige said a couple years ago that Marvel films going forward would not have origin stories.

Except, this was an origin story, Captain Marvel is confirmed to be an origin story........

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    I remember Feige said a couple years ago that Marvel films going forward would not have origin stories.

Except, this was an origin story, Captain Marvel is confirmed to be an origin story........
    Source?

Knowing the internet, it was probably misinterpreted
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html