Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

just watched it in IMAX3D , it was great! the special effects were awesome!

Also loved Benedict as Dr. Strange, his cloak kinda reminded me of Aladdin, but in a good way hehe

I would have liked for them to make Dormammu look similiar to the comics though, furnace face looked good.

Would have liked him to speak out some of his incantations.

I actually liked how strange beat dormammu at the end, though its kinda odd how his lacky's can will themselves out of a time reversal, but he cant get out of a time loop in his own dimension where time does not even exist?

So,for future rumble threads his powers so far seem to be :

Teleportation
    Dimension dumping people (to the mirror dimension)
    Going out of his body to the astral plane where time moves very slowly. (At will, when sleeping or near death)
    time manipulation on a small and huge scale (including putting himself and someone in a timeloop, freezing time, and unfreezing people, reversing time)
    Creating shields that so far seemlingly only help against magic attacks.
    making infinite beer =p
    And a whip thingie.

Missed something?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    It's out in the UK now. And I didn't see a discussion thread for the movie post-release.

Anyway I thought it was epic. Solid 9/10 Marvel movie, and easily in my top 3 MCU movies. The magic looked amazing, I think the inception comparison will get blown out of the water pretty fast because they go way way way crazier than that movie ever did.

All his magical artifacts were cool as balls, especially the cloak. AND IT WAS SO DAMN TRIPPY. Portions of Doctor Strange are like someone sits you down in a room with strobe lighting and gives you hash brownies, LSD & a kaleidoscope.

It bumps Cap 2 out of the 3rd place in my favourite MCU movies but doesn't quite beat out Civil War and GOTG.

It's damn good - the only thing I felt was lacking was that the villain needed more fleshing out. Another 30-60 seconds of plot to more fully understand his back story would have been great.

As it is I give it 8.5 out of 10. All the actors absolutely nail it. Tilda is fantastic. She almost steals the movie.

Visually it is simply mind blowing and the final fight in the streets of Hong Kong is one of the most amazing I have ever seen on screen. I and my son will be seeing it again for sure, this time in 3D.

But - now humor me on this one - was I the only one who thought Strange ended up wearing the magic carpet from Disney's animated movie Aladdin?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    Also loved Benedict as Dr. Strange, his cloak kinda reminded me of Aladdin, but in a good way hehe
    Okay, so it's NOT just me! LOL
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-31-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It's damn good - the only thing I felt was lacking was that the villain needed more fleshing out. Another 30-60 seconds of plot to more fully understand his back story would have been great.

As it is I give it 8.5 out of 10. All the actors absolutely nail it. Tilda is fantastic. She almost steals the movie.

Visually it is simply mind blowing and the final fight in the streets of Hong Kong is one of the most amazing I have ever seen on screen. I and my son will be seeing it again for sure, this time in 3D.

But - now humor me on this one - was I the only one who thought Strange ended up wearing the magic carpet from Disney's animated movie Aladdin?

I loved the cloak, I think someone said when a piece of fabric shows the most personality in your movie, there's issues with the movie. Which I semi agree with.

I love the Hong Kong fight, a lot of people dismissed it as not a great third act but the fight through a world currently going backwards in time was great and wholey original to the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    So,for future rumble threads his powers so far seem to be :

Teleportation
    Dimension dumping people (to the mirror dimension)
    Going out of his body to the astral plane where time moves very slowly. (At will, when sleeping or near death)
    time manipulation on a small and huge scale (including putting himself and someone in a timeloop, freezing time, and unfreezing people, reversing time)
    Creating shields that so far seemlingly only help against magic attacks.
    making infinite beer =p
    And a whip thingie.

Missed something?
    you forgot his shield buzzsaw things, flight via the cloak and projecting his astral form into the physical world (where he talks to christine while he's unconscious)

Extraordinary Member

Some folks were asking if the energy whips were supposed to be The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Pretty standard for him, tbh Tilda Swinton's performance steals a lot of the movie. Cumberbatch's performance is good, believable but nothing to really write home about.

I don't agree with this, he was a face as he was made up of the dark dimension. We haven't seen his actual form.

The ending to me felt more doctor strange, as he doesn't really get more fight wise than he when fighting mads and his minions in the sanctum. I didn't really need a repeat of that for the finale, so the Dormammu blackmail sequence instead was much more suited to how Strange works. Another big magic fight wouldn't have fit as the final imo.

Also the cloak bashing the crap out of that one guy for a whole 5 minutes was one of the best marvel moments in this phase.
    How did Strange turn back time with two stakes sticking through his chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac01 View Post
    Hey guys,

I saw the movie on sunday at Comic Con Paris, and i loved the movie, not my favorite marvel movie, but definitly one of the better/higher ranked ones in my opinion.
    I thought that Cumberbatch was really good as Strange and is like RDJ is to Tony Stark.

Even though this is a Origin movie and had the usual beats that these kind of movies have, it didn't feel like a re hash or boring during the movie.
    Strange's arc is good (even if its predictable) and the first time he is standing there with the eye of agamotto and the cloak, i had a huge smile on my face.

For the side characters, wong was solid and enjoyed the fact that he isn't just seen as an aid, the ancient one was solid and my favorite side character is the cloak and i think it will a lot of peoples fav.

Mordo is on Strange's side at the begining and i liked how his arc progressed and hopefully will be on par with Loki as a villain in the sequel.

Also i liked the third act and how Strange won the day, it was different from the other movies.

I thought that the visuals were stunning and it's the first time I have found that the 3D actually enhances the experience.

On the flip side, as per usual with the MCU movies, the villains weren't great, not bad but not great.

Kaecilius didn't have time to be fleshed out as its a Dr Strange origin movie, and Mads Mikelsen was good but the character's motivations were very standard.
    Dormammu was interessing but looked wierd and in the end didn't do much and didn't seem that intimadating.

I really enjoyed the movie and definitly going to see it again.

can't wait for him to pop up in Thor 3 even though it will be a minor cameo and looking forward to see Dr Strange with Tony.
    I had to see this in 3D first up, because I knew the visuals were going to rock and I got close to vertigo as the buildings floated out of control.

I was surprised the Eye turned out to be the Infinity Time gem and how Strange could use it so quickly was staggering, but he is a genius with photographic memory.

Loved that the cloak kept pulling Strange back towards the chain suit to capture Kaecilius, and the way the suit made K move till it had him hamstrung, and gagged. Much like in the Ditko origin story, that Mordo gagged Strange from speaking.

I have to comment on the origin in the first act. As a person who lived with Ditkos origin story of the arrogant Strange who refused to treat with surgery anybody he wished, and his isolated social existence, I tried to follow Stephens transition from being on top of the world, but empty, to, how he fell so far he was pathetic, then reaching within himself to become the hero that was always there. You saw the hero in Cumberbatch as the surgeon if you looked closely, so that when it filled him with confidence after his training made sense, he could be himself again, but instead of empty, now filled. All the elements were there when Stephen was confronted with who will take responsibility after what happened to the leadership struggle, as he took over so naturally from Mordo and Wong, as he took steps, first knowing how the eye works, being chosen by the cloak, and then knowing the magic spells the other two didn't. Stephen really did save the day. It was a spectacular performance from someone only new to Kung Fu, and magic.

I was also trying to follow the reasoning of the Ancient One as she corrected Stephen from the beginning, even wanting to cut Stephen loose as a failure, until Wong and Mordo said to give him another chance. She made some pronounced sayings about character in general, and how you never fully defeat your demons, and, how you have to overcome your self importance. She really took that role to the required level. The Astral form conversation was good too, between her and Stephen, and how it was left unresolved as to what happens after that. Once a vacuum was produced, the whole imperative of the accolates had to shift because their mentor was now missing, and it was good how Strange naturally fell into the role as the authoritative figure from both a professional level (as a top surgeon) and from the seniority level as a magician (as Mordo and Wong elevated Stephen as the encombant). The way Stephen intensified, commanding his amulet and cloak by second nature, assuming the stature of the Sorcorer Supreme as easliy as reflex, was very telling.

I hope to see it again in 2D as well, just to notice the difference.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-01-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Seen a few reviews now saying thr SS fight scene was great.

Were his quips suppose to be funny? Or more spidermanish where hes mostly trying to be annoying? Dr strange should be more seruious, the humor should be situational. Like the wifi scene from the trailer or even the Cloak gag i keep.hearing about. Not strange trying to be funny, if he met strak or.spiderman in the movies they should quip about how self serious he is. So thats disappointing but ill still be there on nov 4 to see it.
    I accepted the quips as Strange being unreligious, a modern man, immersed in the pop culture which was very superficial. He was never going to accept magic, so the quips made sense to me. Perhaps at later stages, when Stephen had become a magic caster, the quips may have been out of place, but it may also have meant Stephen was becoming more comfortable in his body and relaxed to be able to include humor again?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I really liked this movie. I think it will do well with audiences whether they're familiar with the source material or not. I don't usually like seeing movies in 3D, but I didn't have a choice where I live now. It was worth it this time around.

One thing that went over my head was The Ancient One and her message to Strange towards the end of her life. It dawns on Strange that he could have his old life back, but after further conversation he seems to realize that he has a chance to be apart of a cause bigger than himself. At least that is how I took it. What of his hands though? He can cure the shaking right? Or is he just going to live with it now as he feels it's not that big of a deal?

Also, we see one of the disciples missing a hand while still being able to perform magic. How far can this extend though? What if someone has no arms or legs?
    Yeah, that was a good point you bring up about the choice Stephen can make. Does he do like the neophyte who just corrected his broken back with magic and go back to his boring life as a surgeon, or, leave his mangled hands as they are, but save human life on a greater scale in the magnificence of the Multiverse, where his actions have meaning? The first requires he abandon all his personal growth (that opened up this gift he never knew he had, and expressed his choice as heroic) to slip back into mediocrity. But the second beconned him towards more danger, harder enemies, and challenges of mysteries that needed solving, or the world as he just found out, would crash and burn.

Long-time loiterer

I quite enjoyed the film. As some have said; the humour was hit and miss; some of it was genuinely amusing, other bits just unneccessary.

I thought the visuals were spectacular, although some of the camera work made it hard to focus on the fight scenes. But then I could say the same about some parts of the Captain America films; and those remain my favourite Marvel/Superhero/maybe-in-general movies.

I knew going in that the Eye was the Time Stone, and I liked that it was something that tied Doctor Strange into infinity war but felt very natural. Likewise, I thought the characters worked. Usual complaint about how the villain was perhaps not as fleshed out as he could have been but it didn't really bother me. Better than Malekith and Ronan. On the whole I thought the characterization in general was pretty good (as someone else said, Wong being extremely unfunny was beautiful).
    Still not sure how I feel about Dormammu as of yet. But I will say that the Dark Dimension scene emphasised just how brutal Doctor Strange (the film, not the character) was. Although most that die come back, there is really a heck of a lot of deaths.

I went with three other guys, none of them comic readers, but two of them interested in the films. They both enjoyed it, perhaps more than me. The guy who wasn't into comics thought it was way too much. I considered explaining how spot on it was visually, compared to Dikto's comics but he would have just used it as a reason to slam comic books most probably.

Also loved the Thor post-credits scene.

As some have said, very enjoyable, not quite my favourite, but worth the watch.

Plot hole question

Dormamu is in his own dimension, the dark dimension. Do we consider other dimensions other realities?

Because don't infinity gems only work in our dimension/reality? so is that a plot hole or am i misunderstanding a reality/dimension differentiation?
    Not sure about the difference here between Multiverses and Dimensions. I thought Strange only operated in Dimensions, not the multiverse. If we can say the dimensions are inside the Universe, then the time gem should work there. But I've never experienced the Infinity gems being used in other dimensions, and they don't work in other universes. Having the Eye of Agamotto just be an Infinity gem (instead of a magical object with transcending abilities to read truth and see into the Infinate) threw me a curve ball. Putting Stranges Gem together with Thors Infinity gem in Asgard, pulls together the threads of the Infinity Gauntlet at some point, but leaves Dr Strange empty if his gem gets taken by Thanos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Not sure about the difference here between Multiverses and Dimensions. I thought Strange only operated in Dimensions, not the multiverse. If we can say the dimensions are inside the Universe, then the time gem should work there. But I've never experienced the Infinity gems being used in other dimensions, and they don't work in other universes. Having the Eye of Agamotto just be an Infinity gem (instead of a magical object with transcending abilities to read truth and see into the Infinate) threw me a curve ball. Putting Stranges Gem together with Thors Infinity gem in Asgard, pulls together the threads of the Infinity Gauntlet at some point, but leaves Dr Strange empty if his gem gets taken by Thanos.
    That may be the point. Especially since they've hit the "consequences" button so hard. There's supposed to be a price for Strange breaking the natural order of things, right? Maybe that's the price. With the big everything on the line, Strange is forced to work without his most valuable asset, fighting Thanos without the stone. They've established that the time rewind trick is Strange's go-to solution to the apocalypse. Take it away and make him actually think about how to approach a different villain.

Alternatively, you just handwave the issue away. Because it housed the stone for so long, the amulet has absorbed some of the stone's power for itself.

Ultimate Member

It's interesting, it seems the non comic/geek audience like the movie more than the comic/geek audience.

Which isn't entirely surprising because based on what I've read, MCU Strange (and a lot of the mythology) isn't too much like comic Strange.

Extraordinary Member

Regarding the question above about how Strange used the loop after being killed, he had already set it in motion at that point. It's like creating a repeat loop in a video on your computer - it will keep playing until it receives a command to do otherwise.

Clearly Strange had already "programmed" the spell [to use the Ancient One's parlance from the movie] to recycle back to the point where he spotted Dormammu as soon as he was killed. The irony is Dormammu possibly could have broken the loop himself - all he had to do was NOT kill Strange
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-01-2016 at 05:57 AM.

Mighty Member

Excellent movie that combines magic, imagination and trippiness especially to stoners out there and now one of my favorite Marvel films and a nice version of the character.

Fantastic Member

loved It, especially the hong kong part. My Wish secondary Villain for the sequel would be Cytorak and the Juggernaut.