Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Renee Montoya or Question II?

Just wondering if you prefer Renee Montoya better as herself, or as the Question II. I prefer her as Renee. I thought The Question id was an odd fit for her since The Question has usually been portrayed as very mysterious/secretive, while Renee was always a very open character. I thought if she were to be a legacy superhero, The Guardian would be a better fit.

Anyway, just wondering what your opinions are.

Thanks.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

I was first introduced to the character during 52 so I have a fondness for her relationship with Vic and her taking the mantle was a highlight for me. Exploring how she adapts to the mantle of the Question and how she makes it her own was something I wanted to see.

I prefered her as a detective. I feel that the DCU feels smaller when everybody becomes a superhero. The civillians flesh it out. Also, nothing I've read with her as the Question lives up to Gotham Central.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I prefered her as a detective. I feel that the DCU feels smaller when everybody becomes a superhero. The civillians flesh it out. Also, nothing I've read with her as the Question lives up to Gotham Central.
    This.

Renee Montoya was interesting without getting involved in the crazy superhero hijinks and there was no need to do so except for the fact that they 'needed a legacy hero'.

There's too much a tendency to connect things like this that don't need to be connected. It leads to the incredibly shrinking DCU. Marvel does it too, of course.

As a cop. You used to get actual civilian characters, who often ended up saving the hero's bacon. She fits in well with people like Harvey Bullock and carried on traditions of characters like Jason Bard.

Fantastic Member

As a detective

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's not the take, on its own, that interests me, but the execution.

Sell me on Renee as a detective, Renee as a retired drunk, Renee as the Question, Renee running an international peacekeeping force of faceless Jack Kirby pastiches. As long as you sell me, I'm good.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

It seems a waste to undo the natural progression of the character that took place over several years...
    Question.

Especially since there isn't a Question worthy of the name at the moment.

Either one works for me depending on how it is handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It seems a waste to undo the natural progression of the character that took place over several years...
    Question.

Especially since there isn't a Question worthy of the name at the moment.
    Isn't Vic Sage still alive? I think he was in Suicide Squad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't Vic Sage still alive? I think he was in Suicide Squad.
    I don't read Suicide Squad.

Last Question I'm familiar with is the Trinity of Sin version.

Astonishing Member

There's a lot of questions surrounding the current state of The Question, but Renee seems like a strong enough character that she could rock being The Question for a while and then put it down after she'd you know ... answered the questions she needed answered. And she'd be a great ground-level character to explore some of the freakier mysteries involved in the New 52 Question/Sage conundrum and the Rebirth Question questions, which would be in keeping with her function in Final Crisis, frankly.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    There's a lot of questions surrounding the current state of The Question, but Renee seems like a strong enough character that she could rock being The Question for a while and then put it down after she'd you know ... answered the questions she needed answered.
    In theory, sure (although it's a lot like Bruce Wayne putting down the Cowl for good after he's put away Joe Chill).

In practice, no, that's not what happened. She never was the Question, nor is it clear there ever even has been a Question who isn't a millenia old mythologcal character.

BANNED

I prefer Vic Sage, the ORIGINAL Question.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I prefer Vic Sage, the ORIGINAL Question.
    That version was nothing like any faceless hero who ever appeared in a DC comic.

The Question Denny O'Neil wrote about did not resemble the ORIGINAL character Steve Ditko created at Charlton.

Either one works for me. What Rucka did with her was gold. One of my favorite characters in the pre-FP DC.