Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Question II.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

As a detective. Don't mind her as the Question II though.

BANNED

She was ok as the Question but I like her better as herself. I'm still interested in seeing Vic Sage return, hopefully that goes over well. Of course some people would be upset over Renee not being in the role even if it was handled perfectly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    She was ok as the Question but I like her better as herself. I'm still interested in seeing Vic Sage return, hopefully that goes over well. Of course some people would be upset over Renee not being in the role even if it was handled perfectly.
    How would you feel about one of your favourite superheroes permanently becoming a civilian, with all or most of his/her superheroic career retconned away, even if it was handled absolutely perfectly?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How would you feel about one of your favourite superheroes permanently becoming a civilian, with all or most of his/her superheroic career retconned away, even if it was handled absolutely perfectly?
    If they spent the majority of their existence as a civilian and had plenty of good stories and moments during that time, I'd be pretty okay with it actually. Was her time as the Question even that impressive? To me civilian Montoya is just as badass and interesting as vigilante Montoya.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    If they spent the majority of their existence as a civilian and had plenty of good stories and moments during that time, I'd be pretty okay with it actually. Was her time as the Question even that impressive? To me civilian Montoya is just as badass and interesting as vigilante Montoya.
    It was if you read CRIME BIBLE or FINAL CRISIS REVELATIONS or, in fact anything done by Greg Rucka IMHO.

As to my answer to the question, I'm finding the fence I'm sat on very comfortable. There have been excellent stories with Renee as a detective (pretty much ALL of GOTHAM CENTRAL to be specific) and excellent stories with her as Question II (CRIME BIBLE).

As long as I get good Renee stories and she exists I'm happy!

Cheers.

James.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Rene has been great since she started out. Had an interesting relationship with Two-Face (NML, Gotham Central) and later Vic Sage (52). The execution of the Batwoman relationship was... meh IMHO. The neverending Crime Bible plot got stale and dragged her down for me. If DC has no use for an interesting female (non-white and non-cape on top of that) its a huge loss.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That version was nothing like any faceless hero who ever appeared in a DC comic.

The Question Denny O'Neil wrote about did not resemble the ORIGINAL character Steve Ditko created at Charlton.
    Vig Sage as urban Shaman under Veicth was the closest they`ve thread to the original conception. O`Neil`s take was well executed and bar none one of my favorite DC runs ever but I wish they had followed with Veitch`s take at the time. Talk about narrative potential put to waste.

Astonishing Member

I'd prefer her to take her own hero identity...The Answer maybe? If not or when not, she's great as a detective.

I prefer the Question as a supernatural being.

Does Victor Sage have to be a masked hero or can he just be a reporter and world-class martial artist? Lois Lane does okay without a mask. I guess that decision should be left to his fans.

BANNED

The mask is part of the appeal and it simbolizes what is quest is about. It`s also something that visually works amazingly well on page.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Rene has been great since she started out. Had an interesting relationship with Two-Face (NML, Gotham Central) and later Vic Sage (52). The execution of the Batwoman relationship was... meh IMHO. The neverending Crime Bible plot got stale and dragged her down for me. If DC has no use for an interesting female (non-white and non-cape on top of that) its a huge loss.
    Obviously, your mileage will vary but for me, all you *need* to read is the 5 issue mini-series and 52 to get the story of the CRIME BIBLE but to each their own

Cheers.

James.

She could stil work as part of a Question series as she becomes the reader's POV character so the question could still be a question. She could be Watson to Vic's Sherlock holmes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    She could stil work as part of a Question series as she becomes the reader's POV character so the question could still be a question. She could be Watson to Vic's Sherlock holmes.
    That'd just be insulting to the fans.

At this point I think her as a cop or her as the Question could work depending on the writer and how good the marketing is.

Since it sounds like Bendis is bringing back Vic Sage as The Question (in an issue of Action Comics), I have no problem with Renee Montoya as a cop without a costumed secret identity . . . I'd just like DC to establish her (and a few other members of the GCPD) as regular (supporting?) characters in some book!