Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

The issue was sort of all over the place but i still enjoyed it and im sure that her finding Themyscira so fast simply is a cliff hanger for us to wonder what is about to happen next and if this themyscira is real or not. I was more into her and Etta shopping with Barbara than I was the romance with Steve but even then it didnt turn me off to the story and I thought it was sweet and well done. I'm generally just glad that steve and etta are back.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Certainly could be. It's just a bit of a narrative mess.
    It's not really a mess, it's evident that this issue begins after some time has passed since last issue. Some stuff occurred off screen which will hopefully be elaborated upon...but otherwise is pretty straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I'm still not on board with Steve Trevor becoming Diana's romantic love interest again. I didn't miss the relationship at all when George Perez jettisoned it post-CRISIS. I much preferred Steve as Diana's older brother.
    Have to disagree. Steve was a non-entity (more so than usual) when he was her older brother figure. She had few iconic, recurring characters as it was and Steve had his one purpose stripped from him, as did Etta. Plus it lead to several other generic male love interests and Trinity/JLA shipping. Until she finally gets a girlfriend, we're better off with Steve.

As a fan of the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing, the Steve/Diana date scene fell flat: it felt forced and clumsy.
    But there are some non-Superman/Wonder Woman shippers who found that romance forced and clumsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    What's the point of having a shared universe if it's not you know shared.
    It's still a shared universe, and there is other (much better) ways to get that point across than making Wonder Woman Superman's girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if its written well and progressed at a natural pace, but that's obviously not the goal. The goal is to get them together as fast as possible, and of course its suffering for it. Steve actually being made interesting would help too. I've never minded the concept of the character, he's always just been boring as all hell. And he is again here. I mean, like I said before, I count my blessings because he's sure as hell better love interest than Batman regardless, but he could be a lot more interesting and the relationship could be progressing at a lot more natural a pace.
    I wouldn't say it's progressing at an awkward pace. They had a romantic history in the New 52 and both parties wanted to get back together, their bond is being established in Year One, and he is historically her love interest going back to the Golden Age and other media. This isn't some new character she met at the start of this storyline, this is a guy she's known for 10 years and is getting back together with because they both still share feelings for each other.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-26-2016 at 05:59 PM.

The problem is, regardless of his hatred for the concept, she is just coming off a very serious relationship, and her and Steve haven't been an item in years. Taking a dump on and rewriting said past relationship is a joke, first off, and secondly, while your origin is re-establishing their inherent connection, the fact she's just coming off another serious relationship in the present would warrant things moving forward slower. So its very clunky to me. But like I said, this is less a concern to me other than the way this continuity shapes up once all is revealed. That's what's the most important.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-26-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The plot's wearing a little thin, but there were some good character moments. I think Sharp did a great job of conveying parity in Steve and Diana’s relationship. Rucka pulls off the fish out of water angle without ever writing Diana as vacuous or obtuse. And she has an interior life in this issue that doesn’t consist solely of slavish self-sacrifice, which is nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The problem is, regardless of his hatred for the concept, she is just coming off a very serious relationship, and her and Steve haven't been an item in years. Taking a dump on and rewriting said past relationship is a joke, first off, and secondly, while your origin is re-establishing their inherent connection, the fact she's just coming off another serious relationship in the present would warrant things moving forward slower. So its very clunky to me. But like I said, this is less a concern to me other than the way this continuity shapes up once all is revealed. That's what's the most important.
    She’s just told Steve that she's effectively polyamorous, i.e., her love for him doesn't diminish or even occupy the same space as whatever she had with Clark. I don't think we'll see her grieve on-panel, but to say that this is taking a dump on SM/WW is hyperbolic. It's not being retconned out as a lie or going completely unmentioned, so the possibility's still there for writers to revisit and add closure to it in the future.
    Last edited by Bosch; 10-26-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Its the adjectives she used, the superficial comparisons, are what made me roll my eyes. Polyamorous is fine, but there's the extra added shot there of making it seem like a fling that didn't mean much. And to be honest I still think its going to be completely retconned out by the time Rebirth is finished anyway. The Superman situation needs to be settled into there being one and only ever one for this Earth, and that'll most definitely be this current Superman, so the only way to keep SM/WW as canon is to say it happened earlier in Superman's career before he married Lois. I doubt they do that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The one thing that does bug me about Diana's free love screed is the implication that monogamy may not be a thing on Themyscira. I just want Philippus and Hippolyta to be married already.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    The one thing that does bug me about Diana's free love screed is the implication that monogamy may not be a thing on Themyscira. I just want Philippus and Hippolyta to be married already.
    Amazons are suppose to be degenerates though and degenerates don't believe in marriage!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It depends.

Which one is going to be the actual Themyscria?

Will it be neither of the possibilities we are discussing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Amazons are suppose to be degenerates though and degenerates don't believe in marriage!
    Wait, I thought they were nuns stuck at a neverending toga party. Which continuity are we in?
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

BANNED

Could be the Amazons don't have marriages and simply have a preferred partner.

Well, that's it. It appears that this will be the very last issue of WW Rebirth I'll buy. I'll spend my money on better things, like completing my SM/WW and New 52 WW runs, and then I'll return to Bat-titles only. This issue was just as bad as the last Action Comics'... too bad for the Trials of the Amazons mini-series in production, but I won't buy it either. DC really knows how to kill the mood with characters from the SUper and Wonder franchises...

I really enjoyed the issue! I enjoyed the dialogue between Diana and Steve, and I am intrigued about Themyscira. I REALLY hope the Year One version is the "real" version!
    Last edited by rayray1127; 10-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    What's the point of having a shared universe if it's not you know shared.
    Being a shared universe doesn't mean she can't stand on her own. Justice League is enough proof of this being a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Being a shared universe doesn't mean she can't stand on her own. Justice League is enough proof of this being a shared universe.
    Honestly, I think we can all agree this whole 'shared universe' thing is just an excuse to fudge Batman into everything. I say it is time Wonder Woman separates from this 'DCU' and form her own universe! Who is with me!?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

As a fan of the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing, the Steve/Diana date scene fell flat: it felt forced and clumsy.
    My concern is the way it paints Diana.

If they want to explore Steve Diana...okay. Fine. New 52 Superman is dead. People gravitate to old exes. And Steve is an ex. Now the thing is the way it was articulated by this Diana. Given this Diana suddenly now many thousands of years old, queer, with many relationships under her belt...seems she could be a bit of a player...not sure one why she would even get with Superman and stay with him for the length of time she did. Her explanation is weak and not in character as Rakzo says.

No Amazon would stay with any man because it was easy and not complicated. Just makes no sense. Just does not sound like the Diana we know. I tend to prefer honesty in my Diana. It wasn't a one night stand, nor a fling she had with Superman. It was nearly 4 years of narrative and in the narrative she was in an exclusive relationship. It also had lots of challenges and ups and downs. Compared to what she's had with Steve in the last 30 years, which is nothing much...it had more to it. And she never left Superman, he died.

Rucka simply has no good way to explain why she remained in a relationship with Clark because it's too much for him to accept that Diana would stay because she could loved him. That could have made the character imo more sympathetic. Losing someone you love is a common experience. Plus it would have shown she was genuine in her love and not fooling the guy she was with. But nope. He has to sully it by unfortunately making her seem pretty shallow and stupid and making it seem as if it was not important to her. In trying to diminish the Superman relationship he throws Diana under the bus too. And for who? Steve? People can love and still move on and have other loving relationships. But can't have Diana loving anyone but Steve the first man she sees. eye roll.

And she leaves Steve and gets with Clark because of strength? WTH does that mean? That she is okay with Superman getting hurt because he is not human? What kind of woman is this Diana? For all his strength and flight...he is dead. So I have no clue why she even says this nonsense. She comes across very self absorbed for a woman should have a loving heart. Just sounds as if she gets in and out of relationships and really doesn't care why she gets into them and stays. And if she wanted booty...well why would queer Wonder Woman have to go after Superman? She could have slept with Cheetah if she wanted. Just makes little sense even if Rucka has his bias. Worse if she wanted to say the relationship was dull...as a poster claims...you stay in a dull relationship? What does that say about you?

And she has one conversation with Steve and is already sucking face. Easy? Yeah. I guess Steve will teach her love and romance since the sisters she slept with and Superman were chopped liver.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-27-2016 at 05:21 AM.