Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman Vol 5 #9 Discussion

Hahaha, I read this issue early so I get to make the thread!

In light of the previous issues I felt like this one was kind of a let down. My major point of contention being the inconsistency of the art, especially when compared to how good Sharp's previous work on the series has been. I am also not too enthused about the return Veronica Cale, she really wasn't a striking villain the first time. Maybe Rucka can make her into something worthwhile.

What I am interested in though is the big reveal at the end where;

spoilers:
    Wonder Woman finds Paradise Island, but it is the New 52 version. Hippolyta even wears the same armour and blond hair as she does in Azzarello's run and the amazons also wear their distinct garments. New 52 confirmed for true canon?
    end of spoilers

An image of New 52 Hippolyta for reference.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but;

spoilers:
    I think this is the first time since the Bronze Age that Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor kissed in a Wonder Woman comic.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-26-2016 at 04:46 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Thought it was a good issue, story is moving forwards... but I am slightly perplexed as to how Diana ends up where she does, it just seems like it's "What? Over all ready?".

I am also not too enthused about the return Veronica Cale, she really wasn't a striking villain the first time. Maybe Rucka can make her into something worthwhile.
    Will depend on later writers since Rucka is her creator and the one who's written the majority of her appearances. (Don't think her Doom Patrol appearances did much for her).

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thought it was a good issue, story is moving forwards... but I am slightly perplexed as to how Diana ends up where she does, it just seems like it's "What? Over all ready?".

Will depend on later writers since Rucka is her creator and the one who's written the majority of her appearances. (Don't think her Doom Patrol appearances did much for her).
    LOVE THIS ISSUE!!!

I think this is all part of the lies though...I think these are not the real Amazons, this isn't Themyscira, and this is not Hippolyta. This Hippolyta was clay, and broken to pieces, right? And Diana had just finished saying she remembers things that never happened, and doesn't remember things that did happen. Also, she says she is not divine, so she isn't the literal daughter of Zeus, I think.

BUT, some of the things from the New 52 are confirmed...like Superman.

HMMMM. The plot thickens, and I can't WAIT!!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Always Rakzo

Okay, Rucka might want to push the Diana/Steve ship but boy, did that scene between the two was awkward. We're supposed to believe that the relationship between Clark and Diana was a mistake and Steve and her belong together, it was not subtle, is pretty much what the author was forcing. I don't even care about Superman/Wonder Woman but the way how this whole segment was handled was really blunt and even the whole interaction between Diana and Steve didn't exactly make me buy that these two act like people who are in love. I can buy that Diana doesn't necessarily behave like a normal person but why does Steve act weird too?

Sharp's style is still beautiful despite that his characters might be a bit off at times. As a whole, this still doesn't put completely on-board with the present time segments.

Loved the Steve/Diana bits.

But... ugh. Of course it's Veronica Cale and not Doctor Cyber.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    LOVE THIS ISSUE!!!

I think this is all part of the lies though...I think these are not the real Amazons, this isn't Themyscira, and this is not Hippolyta. This Hippolyta was clay, and broken to pieces, right? And Diana had just finished saying she remembers things that never happened, and doesn't remember things that did happen. Also, she says she is not divine, so she isn't the literal daughter of Zeus, I think.

BUT, some of the things from the New 52 are confirmed...like Superman.

HMMMM. The plot thickens, and I can't WAIT!!!
    The New 52 setting is pretty confirmed here with Etta mentioning there were reports Diana had assumed Ares' mantle. Regarding the divine mention; I think Diana dismisses it because she doesn't feel that way, much like she dismissed the notion during the New 52 under more capable writers.

As for the Amazons... I had that thought as well, that these somehow aren't the real ones and that Themyscira is not going to be found as easily as this. That said, if Rucka just skips the comings and goings of Finchs' run and picks it up from Azzarello (where Hippolyta was actually standing), great!

BIG SPOILERS
    The Good - The definition of characters. Dr. Minerva is more detached from the modern world than Wonder Woman. Nice touch. The plot moved foward very well.

The Bad - Still a bit odd Original Superman seems to matter more to Batman than to Wonder Woman. And Veronica Cale now has a villain-in-a-vase (just add water) tm that can use in future plots against Wonder Woman, and... will she keep re-using Lex Luthor modus operandi?

The Question - "Themyscira is a divine location, it cannot logically exist in our word, per se". Since it was pointed It looks like the N52 island (Thanks for the info, I was not following WW then, assumed it was just in ruins, in an after-war state), could Diana be in a Themyscira of another Earth/Dimension/Realm? And, more important, can it work the other way? The Island becoming a giant vessel to navigate the Multiverse? That would open some story possibilities.
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

This is what the solicits meant when they said that everything is the same and everything is wrong. I don't think this is the real Paradise island. This is the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    This is what the solicits meant when they said that everything is the same and everything is wrong. I don't think this is the real Paradise island. This is the lie.
    Plus, I think Year One, is actually Year One...so yeah, I think next issue we will find out that these Amazons, and this Hippolyta are not real.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    The Bad - Still a bit odd Original Superman seems to matter more to Batman than to Wonder Woman. And Veronica Cale now has a villain-in-a-vase (just add water) tm that can use in future plots against Wonder Woman, and... will she keep re-using Lex Luthor modus operandi?

The Question - "Themyscira is a divine location, it cannot logically exist in our word, per se". Since it was pointed It looks like the N52 island (Thanks for the info, I was not following WW then, assumed it was just in ruins, in an after-war state), could Diana be in a Themyscira of another Earth/Dimension/Realm? And, more important, can it work the other way? The Island becoming a giant vessel to navigate the Multiverse? That would open some story possibilities.
    The female Luthor idea was the original concept of her as I remember; brilliant, successful and ruthless character basically being upset at being outshined by the 'alien' everyone else is more interested in. However I am personally more on board with this version that also seems quite influenced by HYDRA... as in having her fingers in litterally everything.

That is certianly possible. And I just got a weird idea that the Themysicra we've been seeing so far has never been the real one, but a kind of shade the same way the New Gods were sometimes described to explain certain changes... like there is only one true Darkseid, but that often the one seen is only a shadow of the real thing. So maybe Diana left the genuine Themyscira, and lost her pure memories of it by doing so, and has since just been going to back to a shade of her home.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Yah this Themysicra is not real. In year one Hippolyta hair is black which I thought they just changed it but now seeing the present day it's blonde. This is most likely not a mistake. And what did Minerva mean about Diana taking Ares power as a story?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    But... ugh. Of course it's Veronica Cale and not Doctor Cyber.
    Well, here's hoping we're sort of getting both. Cale becoming a modern Dr. Cyber has been a semi-popular idea that's been floated around fan circles. Beyond her cool look and premise, it's not like old school Cyber had an interesting civilian identity or motivation anyway.

And, I guess, better Cale than Rucka inventing yet another new villain to fill the slot. Or bringing back Cassandra.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Yah this Themysicra is not real. In year one Hippolyta hair is black which I thought they just changed it but now seeing the present day it's blonde. This is most likely not a mistake. And what did Minerva mean about Diana taking Ares power as a story?
    You'll have to read Azzarello's run for that one, but short version is that the villain of the story wanted to get to Olympus, only way to do that on his own was to become a god of olympus, so he nearly killed Ares... but Diana beat him to it and had to take Ares' title for herself, because there can't not be a god of war. So Diana has been the god of war for some time now... but to be honest, I am not sure if she still is or if it was yet another thing the Finch's rolled back.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, here's hoping we're sort of getting both. Cale becoming a modern Dr. Cyber has been a semi-popular idea that's been floated around fan circles. Beyond her cool look and premise, it's not like old school Cyber had an interesting civilian identity or motivation anyway.

And, I guess, better Cale than Rucka inventing yet another new villain to fill the slot. Or bringing back Cassandra.
    If Rucka was to write Cyber, I am pretty sure he'd basically reinvent her from the ground up, judging by the interview CBR just put up:

"I was doing some research — Dr. Cyber’s name is Cylvia, with a “C,” Cyber. What am I supposed to do with that?" He doesn't sound impressed.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 10-26-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    If Rucka was to write Cyber, I am pretty sure he'd basically reinvent her from the ground up, judging by the interview CBR just put up:

"I was doing some research — Dr. Cyber’s name is Cylvia, with a “C,” Cyber. What am I supposed to do with that?" He doesn't sound impressed.
    Can't say he's wrong. I've always liked Dr. Cyber mostly for her design, but yeah, "Cylvia Anita Cyber" is all kinds of bad.

I do agree with his point that her rogues gallery lacks the depth of character that Batman's has, and that's something I hope he rectifies. I love what he's done with Barbara so far, so he should continue the trend.

Also love the point he makes about Themyscira, because it's so true.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-26-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Cylvia Anita Cyber is pretty bad, but it's comics. Edward Nigma is bad, Sinestro is bad, Victor von Doom is bad. I have a sneaking suspicion that Adrianna is the new Doctor Cyber, making her the flunky of Veronica Cale which would be incredibly unfortunate. What would also be unfortunate is that it would be just another case of Wonder Woman's cast not getting the same respect as other comic book characters (yeah, it's a minor quibble in changing her name if it is indeed her, but a quibble none the less).