Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's a good idea but it doesn't explain her apparent resurrection after being turned to stone, crumbling and having her remains turned into Donna Troy. Maybe all of that was also untrue?
    I think all of that is untrue. Especially as it happened in the Finch run, so we all collectively ignore it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The Superman/Wonder Woman romance is over and I really think people should move on. She is finally getting her own love interests built up again after so long that also better fits within her own franchise. She no longer has to be attached to the hip with the New 52 editorial SMWW romance that didn't do her characters many favors.
    Indeed. It was forced, and the first time she got a second ongoing to star in was as Superman's girlfriend, and the book largely revolved around Superman related plots. I'm so glad it's over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wonder Woman is in fact in a very similar place to Superman in regards to their current handling as independent entities. On its surface, Wonder Woman has been an entertaining title. Superman has been a really good title standing alone (Action is terrible though). But, their continuities are completely incoherent due to creative decisions based solely upon an unprofessional hatred over what came before. And I say unprofessional because the things they didn't like weren't moved on from in manners even remotely resembling natural progression, as opposed to hamfisted aborts and about-faces that would make any fan-fic writer squirm. And these problems will come back to bite both characters in the ass eventually, if not in the immediate present. A bad continuity when it comes to DC characters always do result in a downfall. If its "not a reboot and never was", then don't treat it like one. You try to have both worlds then you end up with messes like these properties are turning into from a continuity perspective. She's not in AS much trouble as Superman. Rucka's a better writer than Jurgens and even with this mind-controlled, illusionary storyline going on its still not as confusing as replacement dopplegangers, but she's in trouble all the same.
    I'm not so sure. As you say, the "Superman and Lois from another reality" stuff is far more convoluted than anything Diana is going through. And, in comparison to the New 52 Superman canon, the New 52 Wonder Woman lore was a house of cards. I'm not talking about the Azzarello run by itself, I mean the whole package. We got so many haphazard details throughout various books, and it never came together coherently. Rucka's depiction of Diana meeting the circle of friends she has in D.C is much better told than the half assed "Oh yeah, that happened a few years ago, didn't we mention it?" stuff Johns did. Azzarello's vague world building was followed up by Meredith Finch, who drove the title into the ground. Had Rucka been the one to follow Azzarello and take advantage of the vague storytelling to clarify things, maybe he wouldn't need to go this route, but as it stands, the thing was a mess before he got here.

He's laying a pretty straightforward foundation in Year One. Once the Lies are exposed, it should be pretty easy to move on from it. The basics are still the same with Hippolyta and the Amazons, and she's not traveling to a new continuity to meet versions of Steve, Etta and Barbara who don't know her.

"Pretty Huge Plot Point" Gripe...

Barbara thinking that there were "Lies" last issue is followed up by "Ladies be shopping!" and exactly nothing this issue?

Did this really bug anyone else?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Great issue from start to finish! The lead up and kiss between Diana and Steve seemed very natural and well executed. They really are meant to be together. Is it just me or is Rucka priming Veronica Cale to become the new Cheetah?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Pretty Huge Plot Point" Gripe...

Barbara thinking that there were "Lies" last issue is followed up by "Ladies be shopping!" and exactly nothing this issue?

Did this really bug anyone else?
    It kind of bugged me, but since Barbara isn't leaving any time soon, and Cale is gonna try to get a hold of Urzkartaga, I'm willing to give Rucka the benefit of the doubt and hope we get some clarification later.

Also, Sasha making snide remarks about Urz being flaccid was delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Is it just me or is Rucka priming Veronica Cale to become the new Cheetah?
    Not that you mention it, it might be a possibility what with her being full blown jealous like Priscilla Rich and wanting Urzkartaga.

I dearly hope not though. Even I'm not that charitable to let Rucka get away with shilling his creation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The Superman/Wonder Woman romance is over and I really think people should move on. She is finally getting her own love interests built up again after so long that also better fits within her own franchise. She no longer has to be attached to the hip with the New 52 editorial SMWW romance that didn't do her characters many favors.
    What's the point of having a shared universe if it's not you know shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    What's the point of having a shared universe if it's not you know shared.
    Depends on the quality and benefits of the sharing .

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It kind of bugged me, but since Barbara isn't leaving any time soon, and Cale is gonna try to get a hold of Urzkartaga, I'm willing to give Rucka the benefit of the doubt and hope we get some clarification later.
    Certainly could be. It's just a bit of a narrative mess.

Not that you mention it, it might be a possibility what with her being full blown jealous like Priscilla Rich and wanting Urzkartaga.

I dearly hope not though. Even I'm not that charitable to let Rucka get away with shilling his creation like that.
    Agreed. It would take better storytelling than is happening here to pull this off successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Depends on the quality and benefits of the sharing .
    So you'd rather them just write fan fiction based on the previous universe rather then create something New like the New 52 was supposed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    So you'd rather them just write fan fiction based on the previous universe rather then create something New like the New 52 was supposed to?
    Well, arguably some of the new stuff that came out of the New 52 was fan fiction on the part of the creators at the time.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Also, Sasha making snide remarks about Urz being flaccid was delightful.

I'm not saying I want that to happen but it seems like Rucka could be going that route as he's:

1.) Cured Barbara from the curse of being the Cheetah.

2.) Made it clear that Veronica Cale is quite envious of Diana.

3.) Revealed that Cale is eager to get her hands on Urzkartaga.

We still don't know who the woman is standing behind Diana and Steve on the cover. Hopefully that means there's still hope for Dr. Cyber to appear soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Great issue from start to finish! The lead up and kiss between Diana and Steve seemed very natural and well executed. They really are meant to be together. Is it just me or is Rucka priming Veronica Cale to become the new Cheetah?
    Good hypotesis. I don't know if she would bend to Urzatargawheels will, or would trick another one to receive the Cheetah power. Maybe, mastermind-like, even Dr. Minerva again? She is too good a character to be used only as a support role. I don't know how realistic is for she to again attach herself to Oozetadiogaga, but...
    As for the kiss, it felt like a shampoo ad, just look at Diana's hair
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

I'm still not on board with Steve Trevor becoming Diana's romantic love interest again. I didn't miss the relationship at all when George Perez jettisoned it post-CRISIS. I much preferred Steve as Diana's older brother.

And Veronica Cale? Really? She bored me to death her first time on WONDER WOMAN. I really don't need this character back in the mythos.
    Last edited by NYCER; 10-26-2016 at 05:35 PM.

I'm not saying I want that to happen but it seems like Rucka could be going that route as he's:

1.) Cured Barbara from the curse of being the Cheetah.

2.) Made it clear that Veronica Cale is quite envious of Diana.

3.) Revealed that Cale is eager to get her hands on Urzkartaga.

We still don't know who the woman is standing behind Diana and Steve on the cover. Hopefully that means there's still hope for Dr. Cyber to appear soon.
    Not to mention all the work Rucka is doing to develop Barbara as a friend to Diana and far less of a villain then she's previously been portrayed as.

Cale could be the more traditionally villainous Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Okay, Rucka might want to push the Diana/Steve ship but boy, did that scene between the two was awkward. We're supposed to believe that the relationship between Clark and Diana was a mistake and Steve and her belong together, it was not subtle, is pretty much what the author was forcing. I don't even care about Superman/Wonder Woman but the way how this whole segment was handled was really blunt and even the whole interaction between Diana and Steve didn't exactly make me buy that these two act like people who are in love. I can buy that Diana doesn't necessarily behave like a normal person but why does Steve act weird too?
    As a fan of the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing, the Steve/Diana date scene fell flat: it felt forced and clumsy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I'm still not on board with Steve Trevor becoming Diana's romantic love interest again. I didn't miss the relationship at all when George Perez jettisoned it post-CRISIS. I much preferred Steve as Diana's older brother.
    I wouldn't mind it if its written well and progressed at a natural pace, but that's obviously not the goal. The goal is to get them together as fast as possible, and of course its suffering for it. Steve actually being made interesting would help too. I've never minded the concept of the character, he's always just been boring as all hell. And he is again here. I mean, like I said before, I count my blessings because he's sure as hell a better love interest than Batman regardless, and that was always my major fear with Rucka ever coming back, but Steve could be a lot more interesting and the relationship could be progressing at a lot more natural a pace.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El