Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Thanks for posting all that extra info about the pre-Disney Dell Zorro. I knew those comics existed but not all the details.
    I was also pleasantly surprised on seeing the image; that Disney was using the first (#228)Zorro Dell comic issue, as reference.
    Of course they also had the actual Johnston McCulley on hand.
    McCulley & Guy Armando Catalano

LOL it's another publicity image, I can imagine Guy Williams saying- this is great, I can totally play this guy.

According to my internet search the first appearance of Zorro in comics that I could find was in HIT COMICS 55 (November 1948) when Kid Eternity summoned a guy with a whip named Zorro.

Yeah I've seen that Hit Comics referenced as a first Zorro comic book appearance, LOL I guess Kid Eternity's powers are the ability to summon random characters from other publishers fiction and realities. In the same issue he also summons Porthos of the Three Musketeers, and a character called Joe Grimm the gentleman Boxer.
    As well as novels, movies and movie-serials, Zorro was still appearing in the pulps well into the late 50's.
    I doubt this was a licensed appearance, the "Zorro" who shows up is pretty off-model, nothing resembling his recognizable look, costume or even a mask or sword, for a first comic appearance not sure how much he should count, as he seems to be just a "Zorro" in name.
    If anything (at least visually) he's more in his Diego [de la] Vega persona, although that name is also not given.

But those Dell comics seem to be the first to give Zorro his own feature.
    Absolutely, the Dell Four Color #228, is published under Famous Authors Illustrated, and it names and is a licensed adaptation of Johnston McCulley "The Mark of Zorro" novel, ( re titled after the Fairbanks movie) and names and gives copy right to Johnston McCulley.
    It was an officially licensed book appearance, and somewhat retelling of Curse of Capistrano/Mark of Zorro.
    It's not up to me but if I were to reference the first legit Zorro comic, it would be the Dell one, and the subsequent Dell run that followed...
    ZorroMaskDell.jpg

Anyway, point was really that these Dell comics were in fact already there before Disney Guy Armando Catalano Williams take, so that despite being a pulp and film character first, yes one could somewhat suggest he's also portraying a then already existing comic character.
    Which is ultimately why I agreed with you.
    You said:
    The best casting was ZORRO--

Guy Williams as Don Diego de la Vega/El Zorro

Gene Sheldon as Bernardo
    Henry Calvin as Sgt. Garcia
    Don Diamond as Captain Reyes
    Great cast! : )
    I'd also add:

Britt Lomond as Capitán Monastario
    and George J. Lewis as Don Alejandro de la Vega
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-24-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

A lot has already been mentioned. Gil Gerard and Erin Grey-Buck Rogers in the 25th century.

Mighty Member

My vote goes to Tyler Hoechlin for his portrayal of Superman. Honestly, imho, when he showed up in Supergirl, he outshined all the other Supermen who came before. That's a considerable feat, because we've had plenty of awesome Supermen. I honestly hoped he would become a regular, but knew it would not happen because he was about 1000 times more charismatic than the regulars.

A Superman show with him as the lead would likely have likely been more successful than all the other Arrowverse shows. It's a shame that he is sidelined like he is.

For animation, you can't do any better than the holy trinity of Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as Joker, and Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the entire cast of Spectacular Spider-Man. Damn, if the whole cast wasn't so damn memorable. I actually became a fan of the likes of Sandman, Hammerhead, and Shocker (though it was actually Montana, not Herman, which actually made more sense) because of the awesome voice acting work and direction of this show.

And not to disparage J.K. Simmons' portrayal of Jolly Jonah (which I absolutely loved), but I do feel that Daran Norris nailed J. Jonah Jameson perfectly. I could listen to that man rant for hours, but he'd likely only give 3.2 seconds of his time before throwing me out on the street for wasting his.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    My vote goes to Tyler Hoechlin for his portrayal of Superman. Honestly, imho, when he showed up in Supergirl, he outshined all the other Supermen who came before. That's a considerable feat, because we've had plenty of awesome Supermen. I honestly hoped he would become a regular, but knew it would not happen because he was about 1000 times more charismatic than the regulars.

A Superman show with him as the lead would likely have likely been more successful than all the other Arrowverse shows. It's a shame that he is sidelined like he is.
    Many seem to really like his take on Superman (& Clark Kent). Me included.
    To bad the final of the Elseworld crossover, pretty much seemed setup to write him off the show for an extended time, rather than develop him further or for a potential spin-off.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-17-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Charlie Cox is The Man Without Fear! From the opening episode when I first heard him, I was like they nailed it!
    He was my second choice. BTW, love your avatar.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    drum roll please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gabrial Luna as Ghost Rider!

Congratulations Gabriel!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    he did an outstanding job
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    Luna has done very well as Robbie Reyes, and the writers have used him well, I think. That scene in the last episode where he walks through the prison riot and the prisoners are rushing to get back in their cells was too good.
    Loved his take on Reyes, I remember way back wishing he'd get spun-off into the Netflix U, and a Marvel Knights crossover. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ts#post2320934
    Although that's somewhat run it's course.

having the Hell-Charger perfectly cast didn't hurt either.

Last edited by Güicho; 12-19-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Guy Williams as Zorro.

Perfection is not of this world but damn, we sure are pretty close with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Many seem to really like his take on Superman (& Clark Kent). Me included.
    To bad the final of the Elseworld crossover, pretty much seemed setup to write him off the show for an extended time, rather than develop him further or for a potential spin-off.
    And Melissa Benoist as Supergirl. She perfectly embodies the sweet, kind, loving, feminine, goofy character of Kara while still being the kick-ass bare knuckles someone you don't want as an enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And Melissa Benoist as Supergirl. She perfectly embodies the sweet, kind, loving, feminine, goofy character of Kara while still being the kick-ass bare knuckles someone you don't want as an enemy.
    Having just watched Stargirl
    I'll add Brec Bassingeras as Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl) , but for me Luke Wilson as Pat Dugan is stealing this show.

Retired

I guess the comic book came after, but if I could I'd give the award to the cast of WALT DISNEY'S ZORRO.

I haven't watched all of the superhero live-action TV series, but of the ones I have watched - I'll go with Grant Gustin as The Flash.