Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that hates Superdad? I mean I can't stand him.. This is not the Superman that I grew up reading 42 years ago.Jon is annoying and I find it hard in believing that someone with a human mother would have powers yet alone better than his dads(i.e his speed and also able to hurt him with his heat vision).What's next..He is going to be stronger than him?I would more readily buy it if it was Superman AND Wonder Woman's offspring.If this is the 'classic' Superman why is he wearing that stupid,pajama looking suit? Wouldn't he have the original (red underwear and all)suit? Why would he even change it?I pray that he is an alternate one from a parallel planet.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

A cursory glance at this board would tell you that you are not the only one who dislikes Superdad. That said, sales and critical reception to the Superdad era (with the notable exception of Action Comics) have been much better than the preceding years.

BANNED

I've been mostly indifferent to him since Rebirth began.

He's been mostly fine in 'Superman', with a few notable exceptions. The same goes for Justice League, and he's been good in Trinity.

Action Comics is the only book out right now where I dislike Superman.

Overall he's fine. He's not the kind of Superman I want, but he hasn't been egregious.

I don't hate him any more, but no, I don't like him.

That said, I haven't read more than previews and some of his appearances Pre-Rebirth so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

(when I say pre-Rebirth, I mean in the New-52 - I've actually read YEARS of his series prior to the New-52)

Interesting note, btw - because of how I was exposed to Superman, I actually started reading the Bronze Age Superman! Pre-Crisis and all - read some of my step-siblings old mags, and the Swedish reprints where actually several years BEHIND, so we didn't get Crisis until almost two years later - so my Superman has never quite been PC Supes...

I got into the GA Superman a few years back, about two years before Infinite Crisis, first reading COIE, and taking a liking to the old geezer, and upon reading one of the Showcases I was hooked! HERE was the Superman that really spoke to me...!

When Morrison's Action Comics launched, I felt as if Superman was finally truly coming back! A man of the people! Fighting corruption! Cleaning up the streets! Beating up wife-beaters! Sticking it to the god-damn MAN!

Yeah... those were the days! = )

I don't hate him. I hate how they brought him in but he's still a Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

it ain't the first time the half-blooded son has surpassed the father

Jon is just DC reciprocating when Toriyama made Goku a Superman analog

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post

good point but Superman should never be surpassed...btw I just noticed the 'hobbit' style shoes ..lol

After seeing what happened to Gohan after the Cell Saga, I doubt Jon will ever be allowed to surpass Clark.

BANNED

it ain't the first time the half-blooded son has surpassed the father.
    Hmm.

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't hate him. I hate how they brought him in but he's still a Superman.
    'a Superman' but not THE Superman..I will agree with you on that.

Morrison's run on Action Comics was great indeed.. Originally I didn't want to read it because I didn't like Superman in a t-shirt and jeans but when I finally gave in was pleasantly surprised. I actually grew to like the new52 Superman at least a whole hell of a lot more than Superdad.

BANNED

Hate is a bit too strong, but I did prefer the New 52 Superman.

Plus I generally do hate it when characters are killed off to replace them with a more nostalgia-friendly version of the same character. It caused me to drop a lot of books over the years, even if it's the exact same character a few years/decades of characterisation undone, like what happened to both Catwoman and Black Cat going back to villainy.

I don't hate Superdad, but I don't like him as much as I did New 52 Superman. It's not that he can't be a good character. I just think it was really callous to just force him into New 52 Superman's role, just to get him out of the way so that they could have their "classic" Superman back in the spotlight. It gives the impression that nothing New 52 Superman did mattered. He was just an obstacle for DC and I just don't care for that kind of approach.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hate is a bit too strong, but I did prefer the New 52 Superman.

Plus I generally do hate it when characters are killed off to replace them with a more nostalgia-friendly version of the same character. It caused me to drop a lot of books over the years, even if it's the exact same character a few years/decades of characterisation undone, like what happened to both Catwoman and Black Cat going back to villainy.
    Catwoman's was at least handled better than Black Cat imo.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I don't hate him any more, but no, I don't like him.

That said, I haven't read more than previews and some of his appearances Pre-Rebirth so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

(when I say pre-Rebirth, I mean in the New-52 - I've actually read YEARS of his series prior to the New-52)

Interesting note, btw - because of how I was exposed to Superman, I actually started reading the Bronze Age Superman! Pre-Crisis and all - read some of my step-siblings old mags, and the Swedish reprints where actually several years BEHIND, so we didn't get Crisis until almost two years later - so my Superman has never quite been PC Supes...

I got into the GA Superman a few years back, about two years before Infinite Crisis, first reading COIE, and taking a liking to the old geezer, and upon reading one of the Showcases I was hooked! HERE was the Superman that really spoke to me...!

When Morrison's Action Comics launched, I felt as if Superman was finally truly coming back! A man of the people! Fighting corruption! Cleaning up the streets! Beating up wife-beaters! Sticking it to the god-damn MAN!

Yeah... those were the days! = )

That's the Superman I always envision. My first experience with the character were the old Fleischer tapes I had in my home when I was a child, followed by old rer runs of the George Reeves television show. One of my favorite episodes was his war on crime. So early on the Superman in my mind was a bit rough around the edges and was champion of the oppressed. My dad would once in a while bring home Superman comics which I now know as the post crisis version. My local library had archives of old golden age heroes and I followed those extensively. The way Superman was written matched my early conception of the character. I couldn't get enough! The Superman I'd seen in the Christopher Reeve movies and in other portrayals felt like parodies. There was a disconnect and it stayed for long while. I just accepted it. There glimpses here and there like Louis Simonson and Jon Bogdanove's portrayal but that was about it until Action Comics # 1 by Morrison. That same feeling I had as a child came back. His new 52 run wasn't perfect, but it was the closest to how I envision him. There may be some that were uncomfortable with him standing with protesters, laughing at a supremacists, and so on but I loved those moments. And now we have Superdad. Do I hate him? I did. Part of me still does but now it's just giving way to apathy.