Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that hates Superdad? I mean I can't stand him.. This is not the Superman that I grew up reading 42 years ago.Jon is annoying and I find it hard in believing that someone with a human mother would have powers yet alone better than his dads(i.e his speed and also able to hurt him with his heat vision).What's next..He is going to be stronger than him?I would more readily buy it if it was Superman AND Wonder Woman's offspring.If this is the 'classic' Superman why is he wearing that stupid,pajama looking suit? Wouldn't he have the original (red underwear and all)suit? Why would he even change it?I pray that he is an alternate one from a parallel planet.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

A cursory glance at this board would tell you that you are not the only one who dislikes Superdad. That said, sales and critical reception to the Superdad era (with the notable exception of Action Comics) have been much better than the preceding years.

BANNED

I've been mostly indifferent to him since Rebirth began.

He's been mostly fine in 'Superman', with a few notable exceptions. The same goes for Justice League, and he's been good in Trinity.

Action Comics is the only book out right now where I dislike Superman.

Overall he's fine. He's not the kind of Superman I want, but he hasn't been egregious.

I don't hate him any more, but no, I don't like him.

That said, I haven't read more than previews and some of his appearances Pre-Rebirth so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

(when I say pre-Rebirth, I mean in the New-52 - I've actually read YEARS of his series prior to the New-52)

Interesting note, btw - because of how I was exposed to Superman, I actually started reading the Bronze Age Superman! Pre-Crisis and all - read some of my step-siblings old mags, and the Swedish reprints where actually several years BEHIND, so we didn't get Crisis until almost two years later - so my Superman has never quite been PC Supes...

I got into the GA Superman a few years back, about two years before Infinite Crisis, first reading COIE, and taking a liking to the old geezer, and upon reading one of the Showcases I was hooked! HERE was the Superman that really spoke to me...!

When Morrison's Action Comics launched, I felt as if Superman was finally truly coming back! A man of the people! Fighting corruption! Cleaning up the streets! Beating up wife-beaters! Sticking it to the god-damn MAN!

Yeah... those were the days! = )

I don't hate him. I hate how they brought him in but he's still a Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

it ain't the first time the half-blooded son has surpassed the father

Jon is just DC reciprocating when Toriyama made Goku a Superman analog

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't hate him. I hate how they brought him in but he's still a Superman.
    'a Superman' but not THE Superman..I will agree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    it ain't the first time the half-blooded son has surpassed the father

Jon is just DC reciprocating when Toriyama made Goku a Superman analog
    good point but Superman should never be surpassed...btw I just noticed the 'hobbit' style shoes ..lol

Morrison's run on Action Comics was great indeed.. Originally I didn't want to read it because I didn't like Superman in a t-shirt and jeans but when I finally gave in was pleasantly surprised. I actually grew to like the new52 Superman at least a whole hell of a lot more than Superdad.

BANNED

Hate is a bit too strong, but I did prefer the New 52 Superman.

Plus I generally do hate it when characters are killed off to replace them with a more nostalgia-friendly version of the same character. It caused me to drop a lot of books over the years, even if it's the exact same character a few years/decades of characterisation undone, like what happened to both Catwoman and Black Cat going back to villainy.

I don't hate Superdad, but I don't like him as much as I did New 52 Superman. It's not that he can't be a good character. I just think it was really callous to just force him into New 52 Superman's role, just to get him out of the way so that they could have their "classic" Superman back in the spotlight. It gives the impression that nothing New 52 Superman did mattered. He was just an obstacle for DC and I just don't care for that kind of approach.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I liked pre new 52 Superman for the most part except when the whining started and there were some pretty bad stories with him back then that made me think wow, hang up the cape please. This Rebirth guy. Who is he? Where is he from? No idea. He's...I don't care for him because of the way they just killed a younger character who had lots of potential and who I found really interesting just to bring back nostalgia.

I don't have any emotional investment in this current guy and his problems...whatever few he has or they trying to create for him. I still did with the guy back in the preflashpoint verse. This one for someone who should be older and wiser, he feels very self absorbed about his own comfort. He feels worse than pre new 52 at his whiniest. There was still a sense of sacrifice with the other Clark but this one...He comes to a new world and he sits on his butt for 10 years. He watches a younger version and the JL and the world go through mess and he never steps up. A great metaphor for him is when the JL gets pulverized but he prefers to chop vegetables or he has JL obligations but he leaves prematurely to go home for dinner. Lucky him. Not even normal people can just leave their jobs and say they have dinner first. Lois has to tell him what should be obvious to him.. His vibe feels like he doesn't really care that much for the world just wants to play happy family.

His whole contribution in terms of Rebirth is the father to this new Superboy anyway. I can't really pinpoint any real good story where it's justified that DC needed to kill new 52 for this guy in terms of what he can do as Superman. I am still waiting to see what makes him better than new 52. Other than Jurgens harping on about it. DC also more or less gave him everything on a platter when he came into the new verse too. He already has the keys to the Kingdom in a few issues and for me feels like he never really worked for it. It's just given to him by Jurgens and Tomasi because of their bias. Unlike what writers did with new 52 Clark, who had to struggle for his place and this was his world. The theory he was/is new 52 Superman is a stupid one as well. I could never see that guy written by Morrison mature into this one. New 52 Clark steps up. No matter what. As for Jon. Yeah. Comic book logic I guess because even within the pseudo science of the Superman lore...I don't think Jon should be able to have been conceived the way he was and nor should be be more powerful than his father. That is Jurgens head canon DC is running with now.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-27-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I liked pre new 52 Superman for the most part except when the whining started and there were some pretty bad stories with him back then that made me think wow, hang up the cape please. This Rebirth guy. Who is he? Where is he from? No idea. He's...I don't care for him because of the way they just killed a younger character who had lots of potential and who I found really interesting just to bring back nostalgia.

I don't have any emotional investment in this current guy and his problems...whatever few he has or they trying to create for him. I still did with the guy back in the preflashpoint verse. This one for someone who should be older and wiser, he feels very self absorbed about his own comfort. He feels worse than pre new 52 at his whiniest. There was still a sense of sacrifice with the other Clark but this one...He comes to a new world and he sits on his butt for 10 years. He watches a younger version and the JL and the world go through mess and he never steps up. A great metaphor for him is when the JL gets pulverized but he prefers to chop vegetables or he has JL obligations but he leaves prematurely to go home for dinner. Lucky him. Not even normal people can just leave their jobs and say they have dinner first. Lois has to tell him what should be obvious to him.. His vibe feels like he doesn't really care that much for the world just wants to play happy family.

His whole contribution in terms of Rebirth is the father to this new Superboy anyway. I can't really pinpoint any real good story where it's justified that DC needed to kill new 52 for this guy in terms of what he can do as Superman. I am still waiting to see what makes him better than new 52. Other than Jurgens harping on about it. DC also more or less gave him everything on a platter when he came into the new verse too. He already has the keys to the Kingdom in a few issues and for me feels like he never really worked for it. It's just given to him by Jurgens and Tomasi because of their bias. Unlike what writers did with new 52 Clark, who had to struggle for his place and this was his world. The theory he was/is new 52 Superman is a stupid one as well. I could never see that guy written by Morrison mature into this one. New 52 Clark steps up. No matter what. As for Jon. Yeah. Comic book logic I guess because even within the pseudo science of the Superman lore...I don't think Jon should be able to have been conceived the way he was and nor should be be more powerful than his father. That is Jurgens head canon DC is running with now.
    I absolutely agree with EVERYTHING you wrote.. Superman is my favorite character but man does DC want to change that!! I do not look forward to him anymore because this guy that DC has masquerading as the most powerful hero is not him..not by a long shot !

I have clear something.. Without N52, I never hate Superman... I never read Superman, I read old comics of my cousins, I would have continued to think that Superman is bored... With the exception of altenative worlds like Kingdoom Come, and certain films, Reeve was a Great Superman ...The same way as now(read only certain comics) without hate superman..

Now I hate him because when finally I liked the present superman.. He again here, for erase my superman.. My hate begin for Rebirth, before I don´t have problem with his existence in this world because I don´t know the DC intentions.

ABOUT THE TRUNKS.. If in two years superdad not use trunks, It will be a strange surprise.. If the superman that I see is worth I never had problems with the trunks..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-27-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    'a Superman' but not THE Superman..I will agree with you on that.
    If you've been a reader for 42 years, and you started at 10, then THE Superman was shuffled off some years before you were born. Unfortunately I can't imagine many of the few adults who complained about it, who saw the clear difference between the strangely racist Fleischer cartoons in their theaters and the Superdad of the atomic age, are still with us. It's also hard to imagine that by the time you came on board they even cared. Superman never belonged to one group of people, that's the beautiful thing about him.

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    Morrison's run on Action Comics was great indeed.. Originally I didn't want to read it because I didn't like Superman in a t-shirt and jeans but when I finally gave in was pleasantly surprised.
    Sounds like a lesson. When did you finally give in?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hate is a bit too strong, but I did prefer the New 52 Superman.

Plus I generally do hate it when characters are killed off to replace them with a more nostalgia-friendly version of the same character. It caused me to drop a lot of books over the years, even if it's the exact same character a few years/decades of characterisation undone, like what happened to both Catwoman and Black Cat going back to villainy.
    I can definitely understand people falling somewhere on the spectrum of dislike as being way greater in number than any thread can contain.

But the interesting thing to me is, what about the creators?