Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    yeah,they need to address forever evil and Doomed. The rest of it I can buy as Superman not wanting to step on his ' brother's" turf...but if the world was truly in danger and Nuperman was out of the game,he would and should step up unless he was off world or having power issues.

That's something that the people in charge should have considered honestly. Out of context,it doesn't look good that the top dog superhero of the DCU was MIA during two back to back world threatening catastrophes. It does make one wonder if ultimately those stories are eventually going to be struck from canon once REBIRTH gets to its destination.

I wonder if ultimately the New 52 becomes DC's version of Heroes Reborn at Marvel. In other words,it all happened but only in the vaguest of sense and thus,has no real bearing on future stories going forward,beyond things like Snyder's Batman run.
    Except its Heroes Return and has widespread affect on whole company.

New 52 was Heroes Reborn.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Both sides have been doing this since 2010-2011.
    Yeah,youve got that right,and to be honest it annoys me to no end. Perhaps it shouldn't,but it does.

I think it comes from people wanting to try to qualify their hatred for a specific version by jumping on and highlighting the instances of bad writing and bad characterization and attempting to characterize the version they dislike as inferior to the version they like,while ignoring the issues with their version.

Both versions of Superman have pretty much have seen both flattering and unflattering characterization over their runs. If I wanted to I could paint Nuperman as a petty,selfish,paranoid,bully and jerk....but in order to do that successfully I'd have to ignore the majority of the time he was frankly frickin awesome in terms of characterization. Same with Superdad. It's easy to distort either if you are intentionally being intellectually dishonest and have an agenda.

Superman is Superman.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-30-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

So it's not really something that bugs me and it has nothing to do with why I dislike Superdad, but I do have one thing to add to this whole part-time hero debate going on. I think the issue were running into here is what the characters are shown doing in the book. It's not that either of them spent more or less time than the other actually doing superhero stuff, but that the books spent different amounts of time focusing on it. I mean as much as we can be sure that N52 Superman spent a lot of time hanging out with Jimmy and Lois we didn't really see it all that much on panel, did we? That's not necessarily a good thing either as sometimes the issues felt like they were lacking those moments, but compared to Superdad (more specifically in the Lois & Clark mini and less so now) there wasn't as much on panel time of him living his life.

Also I wouldn't really use that Superman Unchained moment as proof of anything Superlad :P I don't know if anyone ever really considered that canon.

BANNED

I don't like the new (old) Superman either.

I find it really dull.

"Hey, kids! Here's you're new favorite superhero! Superman! He's just like your Dad!"

Nope.

His re-insertion (sexy!) has also caused a few circles that need squared. His history of living within the New52 is divisive and seem's off with what I would have come to expect with any Superman; His reason for getting back into the fray and going public was pretty appalling; he's been petty and selfish but in a manner that we seem to have been expected to interpret as heroic; characters and situations have been forced with nothing yet as to why it needs to be there, and this whole stuff with 52Lois and MaLois is just bats**t from all angles.

His reintroduction has coincided with some really poor story-telling.

I especially hate how the characters are being used as mouthpieces for DC to tell me how wrong I was for enjoying another interpretation of Superman besides this one. Not. f*****g. cool.

At the moment I feel that the Super-Line is being dominated by an old mans fan-fiction.

Maybe the transition wouldn't have been so bumpy if Creative had let the Rebirth universe unravel to catch up with the Super-Family rather than the other way around.

Meh, who knows.

Until the line decides to have a word with itself, i'll be having my own 90's Superman revival by not buying any books with him in it. A waste of cash.
    Last edited by Kid_Quantum; 10-30-2016 at 11:57 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Also I wouldn't really use that Superman Unchained moment as proof of anything Superlad :P I don't know if anyone ever really considered that canon.
    I can't imagine why. Nothing in that book indicates that it's not canon, and I don't think anyone at DC said it wasn't.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Personality wise, both are pretty much the same. I don't think that's the best indicator of who is the "better" Superman. I think you have to chalk it up to 'do you like the idea of Superman as a father or not?' Now, if this is a contest of who has the better costume, Superdad wins simply be virtue of not having that stupid collar.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Okay
    1st- it's not part time that is the problem,ppl are not happy that ANY Superman had to be talked into being SUPER.so stop making the damn argument about being part time.

2-superlad you can clearly see that Superman says he still has his strength and speed down there,plus he is freaking smiling.so NO,not anywhere like superdad down tjere.

3- all can be forgiven about the "appearance" of superdad not helping out enough during the secret years if they fill in the blanks(which I think would be awesome btw)

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Okay
    1st- it's not part time that is the problem,ppl are not happy that ANY Superman had to be talked into being SUPER.so stop making the damn argument about being part time.
    Superman wasn't talked into being Super. At most he was talked into joining the JL. He kept having faith that they would be up to the task of defending Earth like his old JLA, but he didn't take into account that they lacked a Superman unlike his JLA. Other than that one instance Clark has been saving the world in secret for as long as the heroes have been around in the New 52. So, again, I still don't see the argument.

2-superlad you can clearly see that Superman says he still has his strength and speed down there,plus he is freaking smiling.so NO,not anywhere like superdad down tjere.
    Sure. And if you look back at Superdad in Justice League you'll see that he still retains his flight and heat vision even while at the actual core of the Earth. Nuperman was merely CLOSE (he is CLEARLY NOT at the core like Superdad was) to the core yet he and Wraith lost all of their powers aside from their physical ones. In order for Superdad to have performed his feat in Justice League he NEEDED the ability to fly along with his strength. He was at the actual core of the Earth and there weren't any solid areas to find his footing. Nuperman would have aimlessly floated along the molten material blind without his super senses. So like I said before, this is something that Superdad can do that Nuperman was clearly shown to have not been able to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Superman wasn't talked into being Super. At most he was talked into joining the JL. He kept having faith that they would be up to the task of defending Earth like his old JLA, but he didn't take into account that they lacked a Superman unlike his JLA. Other than that one instance Clark has been saving the world in secret for as long as the heroes have been around in the New 52. So, again, I still don't see the argument.

Sure. And if you look back at Superdad in Justice League you'll see that he still retains his flight and heat vision even while at the actual core of the Earth. Nuperman was merely CLOSE (he is CLEARLY NOT at the core like Superdad was) to the core yet he and Wraith lost all of their powers aside from their physical ones. In order for Superdad to have performed his feat in Justice League he NEEDED the ability to fly along with his strength. He was at the actual core of the Earth and there weren't any solid areas to find his footing. Nuperman would have aimlessly floated along the molten material blind without his super senses. So like I said before, this is something that Superdad can do that Nuperman was clearly shown to have not been able to do.

Inner turmoil was what superdad had,im glad he got over it.

I'm not for sure nuperman and superdad powers even worked the same,BUT can we both agree BOTH of them should really have no problems at the core of earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can't imagine why. Nothing in that book indicates that it's not canon, and I don't think anyone at DC said it wasn't.
    Not really being serious with that one. Just a joke about how it read more like Snyder wanted it to be set in Post-Crisis continuity

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Inner turmoil was what superdad had,im glad he got over it.
    I can respect where he was coming from when he questioned if he should interfere with the Justice League and the destiny of this world. Henshaw not turning out to be a bad guy called into question how much this world was like the old one for Clark. He was operating by the idea that he could tamper with this world given his perceptions. Ultimately the need for a Superman outweighed all else. I find that fascinating and I wish we could have played with that for a little bit longer before Superman #1.

But yeah, ultimately I'm very happy that we've just got him back as Superman now.

I'm not for sure nuperman and superdad powers even worked the same
    They might not. Superdad clearly still had all of his powers while at the core of the planet, but Nuperman was merely in a very deep underground cave, yet he still lost the majority of his powers. That seems like a fundamental difference between the two in terms of powers and possibly capability.

Even during Truth, Superdad was feeling the effects of what Savage did to all of the Kryptonians on Earth. However the effects we're negligible when compared to Nuperman and Supergirl. Supergirl in particular lost ALL of her powers, and could only get them back for VERY short burst till she finally just flew to the sun. Superdad on the other hand felt weakened but he still had all of his powers and once whatever Savage did had ended, he got his full power back. So yeah, there's a fundamental difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Not really being serious with that one. Just a joke about how it read more like Snyder wanted it to be set in Post-Crisis continuity
    Gotcha. Apologies

Whether its intentional or not there does seem to be a fundamental difference in Nuperman and Superdad's powers.

Superdad, assuming we're still running with some aspects of early post-Crisis, utilizes many of his powers through his bioelectric aura. His powers are fueled by the sun, physical in manifestation, but mental at the source.

Nuperman's powers went back to pre-Crisis; fueled by the sun, and manifested through physical biology.

Nuperman also developed his powers faster and their increase was less consistent. After his battle with The Collector he jumped from Golden Age levels to early post-Crisis levels (roughly), then after Helspont they jumped again to almost Silver Age levels, including the development of a new ability.

Superdad's power gain was consistent, slowly gaining from his teenaged years into adulthood until the end of Flashpoint, without ever developing new abilities (outside of situational, short term things like the electric powers and Morrison's Final Crisis tie-in).

Depending on the post-Crisis origin Superdad has, he may have gained his powers at a later age than Nuperman as well. Nuperman had powers from the start, including a higher intellect than regular humans (not that the writers remembered that half the time) while Superdad spent a large chunk of childhood powerless. Even Secret Origins, I believe, only had him start developing powers around his pre-teen years or so. Though I could be way off on that one, haven't read that since the week it came out seven-ish years ago.

EDIT: I also think there *might* be a difference between them when de-powered. A powerless Superdad is baseline human. That's been seen plenty of times and is consistent. Nuperman however, might not be as clear cut. We know that even as a child he wasn't baseline human. The two times we've seen him de-powered are, I think, vague enough to make an argument either way. When Clark would end up powerless after a solar flare, he was baseline human but we might have been looking at a Superman who was not only deprived of power but also physically exhausted; just like you're not in top form after running a marathon, post-flare Clark might have also been weaker than his usual, baseline self. A "regular" baseline Nuperman might actually be closer to what we saw in Truth; less powerful than he was in his Morrison penned rookie year but still above human norms.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-30-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Nope you are not was never a big fan of pre 52 supes, He whined way too much and Grounded just rubbed me the wrong way.

In all honestly Superdad and Nuperman gained powers at roughly the same time.

Though given the fact that Secret Origin might be (more than likely) canon, Superdad got flight and a boost in power earlier than Nuperman. Also in here he actually had some his powers at roughly the same time as the scan above.