All-New Member

Default How do you incorporate crossover events into your regular reading?

Hi,

I've recently gotten back into comics and I am curious how most people go about dealing with crossover events. I'll explain what my problem is.

I started collecting TBP volume's and also bought Age of Ultron and AU companion to bring me into the Marvel Now universe. I finished everything and wanted to move on to X-Men: Battle of the Atom. I was going to buy the first three volumes of All New X-Men, The first couple volumes of Uncanny X-Men, and then the Battle of the Atom collection in TBP. Went to buy all the comics, and realized that Battle of the Atom and Uncanny volume 2 doesn't get released until July 22nd.

So..... I have about 3 weeks before I can purchase what I need. I was thinking of moving on to Infinity during this few weeks I have waiting for the tbp volume releases, however this leads into the 2 main questions I have;

1) If I start reading all the Infinity tie-in's (or the main books) over the next couple weeks (Thanos Rising, Avengers, New Avengers etc.) am I spoiling anything from Battle of the Atom (as i gather Infinity takes place afterwards)?

2) I also want to start reading current Marvel Now titles without having to worry about crossover events (i know the easy answer is "then don't worry about it"). I guess this is an opinion related question, but how do you go about doing that, with all this stuff tied-in to each other? Should I just buy a few current titles and read through them no matter if they are marked "Infinity" or "Inhumanity"??

I am obsessed right now, but I'm still a bit confused how to digest everything........ opinions would be greatly appreciated.

BANNED

once you find the writers you like you can read the books they're doing. if that's the main event, then there you go. if they're just doing some tie-ins in their own series, then those tie-ins get perfectly explained without you having to read more.

BANNED

I skip them.

If they're not skippable I drop the book.

Extraordinary Member

Battle of the Atom took place at the same time as Infinity, it was what the X-Men were going at the time, I guess.

As for events and tie-ins in general, I find that a lot of the time you can just stick with the book you are following as many of them barely tie in at all even if they have the banner on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by kaykills View Post
    1) If I start reading all the Infinity tie-in's (or the main books) over the next couple weeks (Thanos Rising, Avengers, New Avengers etc.) am I spoiling anything from Battle of the Atom (as i gather Infinity takes place afterwards)?

2) I also want to start reading current Marvel Now titles without having to worry about crossover events (i know the easy answer is "then don't worry about it"). I guess this is an opinion related question, but how do you go about doing that, with all this stuff tied-in to each other? Should I just buy a few current titles and read through them no matter if they are marked "Infinity" or "Inhumanity"??
    1) The two events you are asking about are completely unrelated. One happens for the Avengers, the other for the X-Men. For myself, I loved every panel of Infinity and skipped Battle of the Atom even if I was reading one of the books involved at the time and am no worse for it.

2) Regarding infinity, you absolutely have to read the three books involved: Avengers, New Avengers and the Infinity mini - the rest are stories which happen at the same time but are not essential reading so you can take or leave them. I dont get TPBs but I'm willing to bet you can get the collected edition which include the essentials in the proper reading order.

About Inhumanity, most of the books that tied in are just barely connected to the main book which AFAIK has only had 2 or 3 issues released so far.

All-New Member

Thanks for the replies, and @havok1977 thanks for specifically answering my first question..... appreciate the feedback!