Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You say that like that's a bad thing.

Fox has not demonstrated any ability or willingness to do the same. Thick plot? The X-Men franchise? Are you serious?

What is so good about a serious tone anyway?
    It can make for a good work of fiction? And it has plenty of times. Not that that a lighter tone doesn't have its merits it's just nice to have variety

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    Amazing how our biases affect the movies we watch don't they?

I saw Scott's personality as an aloof smart mouth surly asshole which would make him seem cocky and a dick to others, and would obviously get him in trouble with the more popular kids. I also saw Jean's personality development as one who is quite lonely and keeps to herself in order to shut out the voices she keeps hearing (I know what everybody feels, she says in Stryker's jet), and who is immensely frightened of herself and her own power. Scott and Jean fell for each other because they are both loners who understood each other because of the destructive power they both wield, and because Jean's telepathy and empathy allowed her to say just what Scott needed to hear after Havok's death, and she gave him emotional support.

I will never defend the writing for Apocalypse (it's pretty atrocious), but it's like we were watching two different movies! It all comes down to perception, which I think is affected by our attitudes towards the franchise as a whole. Like how everyone sees JLaw's Mystique as this big intrusive presence, all I saw was this surly, wooden non-entity who did nothing much throughout the entire film and so she kinda just fades into the background.
    I'm not the only one who thinks Scott's personality was all over the place. Both CinemaSins and Honest Trailers have called on it.

CinemaSins: "When did Scott become this guy? He gets a pair of shades that protect his eyes from blasting everything, and now he's an asshole."

Honest Trailers: "Forget what you know about X-Men from the comics, animated series or previous movies. Because so did Bryan Singer. As Cyclops is a rebel for some reason..."

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

He was shown as an assole in the school scene before he got his powers.

Not sure where the Honest Trailer is trying to say.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 02-21-2017 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'm not the only one who thinks Scott's personality was all over the place. Both CinemaSins and Honest Trailers have called on it.

CinemaSins: "When did Scott become this guy? He gets a pair of shades that protect his eyes from blasting everything, and now he's an asshole."

Honest Trailers: "Forget what you know about X-Men from the comics, animated series or previous movies. Because so did Bryan Singer. As Cyclops is a rebel for some reason..."
    That's not 'Scott's personality is all over the place'. That sentence, and how you described it in your original post, implies that within this movie, Scott does not have a single coherent personality. Which he does, to me anyway.

What you actually meant was 'Scott's personality in this movie is so different from any other version of Scott'. There's a difference. And I'm not gonna argue against that because I understand the gripe, and I also know it is futile to talk about accepting deviations from the source material in these parts.

Lol and really? You're relying on CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for criticism? Their JOB is to nitpick on everything for the sake of humor. I can accept quotes from professional reviewers about the lack of consistency in Scott's writing, but those don't really count. XD
    Last edited by iacobusleo; 02-21-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Well, at least this time, Scott does have a personality.

That's not 'Scott's personality is all over the place'. That sentence implies that within this movie, Scott does not have a single coherent personality. Which he does, to me anyway.

What you actually meant was 'Scott's personality in this movie is so different from any other version of Scott'. There's a difference. And I'm not gonna argue against that because I understand the gripe, and I also know it is futile to talk about accepting deviations from the source material in these parts.

Lol and really? You're relying on CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for criticism? Their JOB is to nitpick on everything for the sake of humor. I can accept quotes from professional reviewers about the lack of consistency in Scott's writing, but those don't really count. XD
    Ok, my mistake, Honest Trailers are implying whole other thing.

Not having a coherent personality and personality all over the place are the same thing. cinemasins is implying that there was no reason for the sudden change in personality for Scott. Him being an asshole doesn't make much sense.

CinemaSins is a joke and made for nitpicking, but some of the things they say are pretty much on point.

If you want professional critic, they really won't go into all that, because Scott is never supposed to be a main character and they don't usually focus on others.

But if you want geek critic, there's Professor Thorgi on YouTube. Watch his post geekout reaction video for X-Men Apocalypse, he pretty much says the same thing about Scott.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 02-21-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Not having a coherent personality and personality all over the place are the same thing. cinemasins is implying that there was no reason for the sudden change in personality for Scott. Him being an asshole doesn't make much sense.

But if you want geek critic, there's Professor Thorgi on YouTube. Watch his post geekout reaction video for X-Men Apocalypse, he pretty much says the same thing about Scott.
    See, I saw no personality change in Scott. One of the first line he says is an insult: 'Your girl? I guess you do look old enough to be her father'. When introduced to Hank at the school, he does not offer so much as a polite greeting, instead merely a curt and sullen nod, something which both Alex and Hank noticed as a rude gesture. He also spoke rudely to the Professor the first time he met him, though that could also be frustration at his powers.

In a deleted scene right before he is taken to Xavier's School, he is implied to be a handful, very similar to Alex, who was a troublemaker when he was younger.

So again it all comes down to perception. All of these when taken together tells me that the writers intended for him to be an asshole right from the beginning of the movie.

I will check him out thanks! I have a feeling I will agree with a lot of his points anyway, considering my disdain for the writing in this movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Honest Trailers: "Forget what you know about X-Men from the comics,
    Well, at least this time, Scott does have a personality.
    Do You think that Scott from the comics doesn't have personality?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Do You think that Scott from the comics doesn't have personality?
    He meant previous movies. In the original trilogy, Scott is just a cardboard cutout.

BANNED

He meant previous movies. In the original trilogy, Scott is just a cardboard cutout.
    While i agree with You...
    I am not sure user who quoted Your post also agree with You. That's why I am asking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    While i agree with You...
    I am not sure user who quoted Your post also agree with You. That's why I am asking about this.
    While I usually don't speak on others behalf, I'm pretty sure he meant the previous movies.

While I usually don't speak on others behalf, I'm pretty sure he meant the previous movies.
    Yes, im talking about the previous movies.

Amazing how our biases affect the movies we watch don't they?

I saw Scott's personality as an aloof smart mouth surly asshole which would make him seem cocky and a dick to others, and would obviously get him in trouble with the more popular kids. I also saw Jean's personality development as one who is quite lonely and keeps to herself in order to shut out the voices she keeps hearing (I know what everybody feels, she says in Stryker's jet), and who is immensely frightened of herself and her own power. Scott and Jean fell for each other (and that's putting it lightly, we never received any indication they became a couple by movie's end) because they are both loners who understood each other due to the destructive power they both wield, and because Jean's telepathy and empathy allowed her to say just what Scott needed to hear after Havok's death, thus giving him emotional support.

I will never defend the writing for Apocalypse (it's pretty atrocious), but it's like we were watching two different movies! It all comes down to perception, which I think is affected by our attitudes towards the franchise as a whole. Like how everyone sees JLaw's Mystique as this big intrusive presence, all I saw was this surly, wooden non-entity who did nothing much throughout the entire film and so she kinda just fades into the background.
    I feel like your first sentence hit the nail on the head, it's like we did see two different movies!

Probably because while your description might've been what Fox was aiming for, they didn't actually show half of what your saying. It's all implication and verbatim from the characters, "telling not showing", because as I said there wasn't much development or storytelling going on for these characters. The viewer filling in the blanks of what the movie should've shown instead. Jean literally tells Scott "she feels like the biggest freak in the school" and as far as we see her being 'lonely' is sitting under a tree by herself (...which is unusual behavior...?). Oh there's a blink and you miss it moment with the kids saying mean comments. That's... something. Same for Scott, who within minutes of meeting her bonds over --- what? Her telekinesis shaking the school? Deep stuff.

This isn't development, it's ham-fisted "what backstory can we cram in the 5 minutes these characters are going to have all film".
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-21-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Fox just can't handle ensemble movies. They need to restrict it to small teams and solo films, keep the team to a 5-6 team member and a villain. Then they can focus more on the characters they choose. Seems like they got the solo thing down but X-Men is a team and by limiting the amount of characters per film it can put better focus and add to character development. But they still have been dropping the ball on certain characters portrayals anyway but I think it would help.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Eh, I'm sure Logan will be just as bad as every X-Men Not!Deadpool movie by Fox.