Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo's Summer 2017 Bat-Event

So, over twitter, the first details of this seem to be coming out. It's been known for a while that Snyder and Capullo were planning to work together again, that they had an idea for the Owls, and - mentioned more recently - that it would be a DCU-wide thing, or at least feature a bunch of DCU characters.

Well, according to Scott Snyder on Twitter, this is looking like Capullo coming on board All Star Batman for an arc - with elements that play into the other Bat Titles, and which might spin out into another story that would fit the criteria of "Massive Bat Family Event". It will "have elements in all books".

So, what do we think? Personally, I like Snyder and I like Capullo, but I'm not sure how excited I am about Night Of The Owls II: This Time It's Owlier - where there's a central Snyder/Capullo storyline and everyone else's stories go on hold to support it. At least "Night Of The Monster Men" saw all the titles meeting as equals....

On the other hand, some of what Snyder has done is truly excellent - and I like his "voice" for most of the Bat Family. So the central storyline, at least, could well turn out to be enjoyable. But I'm not sure it's what's best for the line...

(Source Tweets: https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...90305024188417

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...87942750277632

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...76442631401474)

Do we think this is where Tim comes back? I just hope Dick's "Robin War/Better Than Batman" recent history with the Owls isn't ignored.

It kind of feels weird to have Snyder and Capullo prepping for a Batfamily event when they're not even on the flagship book anymore, and Snyder doesn't have to keep telling "event" level stories and big, shocking status quo changing stuff like he did on Batman now that he has All-Star, but I guess I'm interested to see what Snyder's plans to continue the Court of Owls storyline are.

And getting Capullo back on Batman is always a treat .

And count on Damian not showing up at all in this event, Duke getting a lot to do, and hopefully Batgirl turning up .

I am kinda burned out on events in general, and Night of the Monster Men was just okay, so I hope it's awhile before we get to this new Court story. Give them a long break after Dick and Raptor took down the Parliament.

I'm actually kinda wondering if next we see of Tim will even be in a Bat book...

BANNED

I said this in the Grayson thread, but I really want Snyder to avoid writing Batmans supporting cast as much as possible in this. He's good at writing Bruce and his villains. But his most common approach to the Bat-Family is "They all suck Robin is useless Nightwing is useless and my original characters are so much better than any of them so Batman should just ditch the rest of those losers". Hopefully they will get most of their focus in King's Batman and 'Tec.

If Tim isn't involved in this, I will be really disappointed. I don't care that he wasn't in Monster Men (but I was pretty upset about him not getting to have lunch with the other Robins, ironically) if he doesn't get to have a role in an event this important then I'm going to start assuming that DC still doesn't have plans to treat him well. Hopefully his story will be touched on before then in some other series, and the Batman event will be his return to the Family.

I'm also getting kind of tired of the Owls, they were fine at first but they're stale now. I still don't find them more interesting than the majority of Batmans iconic villains, and their ubiquitousness isn't helping. If the story turns out to be good I won't complain, I just don't want to see them again for a while after that.

I hope the event is a mish mash of villains beyond the Owls. Maybe they'll finally address the 3 Jokers situation. Could be some good material for Jason and particularly Barbara since one is the TKJ Joker specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I hope the event is a mish mash of villains beyond the Owls. Maybe they'll finally address the 3 Jokers situation. Could be some good material for Jason and particularly Barbara since one is the TKJ Joker specifically.
    I think that's just going to be left to King to play with, though Snyder might tie-in to what's going on.

I still want to see how Harley might react to the idea of there being other Jokers.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I have to admit, even though I really enjoy JRJR's art, and I don't hate Duke, I'm really not interested in ASB, or the new Court of Owls thing. I'm really thrilled with Tec right now, as it's using the characters I want to see in great ways, and has amazing art. I actually really starting to warm to Batman, as well, with the new arc (and artist! ). ASB just feels kinda all action, all suspense, and no real way to payoff all the promises it's making. I just reread The Black Mirror, and really hope that Snyder's reunion with Jock and Francavella is more like that than his last six years of stuff. I just don't think that he can pull off really big endings in a satisfying way.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Seriously, my first reaction was oh, another one. . The new best event ever. From Snyder.

I kind of hope Jason isn`t dragged into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I said this in the Grayson thread, but I really want Snyder to avoid writing Batmans supporting cast as much as possible in this. He's good at writing Bruce and his villains. But his most common approach to the Bat-Family is "They all suck Robin is useless Nightwing is useless and my original characters are so much better than any of them so Batman should just ditch the rest of those losers". Hopefully they will get most of their focus in King's Batman and 'Tec.

If Tim isn't involved in this, I will be really disappointed. I don't care that he wasn't in Monster Men (but I was pretty upset about him not getting to have lunch with the other Robins, ironically) if he doesn't get to have a role in an event this important then I'm going to start assuming that DC still doesn't have plans to treat him well. Hopefully his story will be touched on before then in some other series, and the Batman event will be his return to the Family.

I'm also getting kind of tired of the Owls, they were fine at first but they're stale now. I still don't find them more interesting than the majority of Batmans iconic villains, and their ubiquitousness isn't helping. If the story turns out to be good I won't complain, I just don't want to see them again for a while after that.
    Which is it?

I don't think Snyder is necessarily bad at writing them, because he's written Dick excellently in black mirror and Tim decently in black mirror and gates, but I do think he has a balancing issue, and tends to go a little too far with his own characters.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm excited. I'm not a fan of Tynion's writing or cast in Detective, and ASB is my main Batman book right now, with Tom King just under it for now.

As long as Snyder does an "event" where you can just read his material, those are the events of his I like. I don't like the tie-in-overs (my trademarked term for them) we used to have before Rebirth with tie-ins that were forgettable and often tangential. But I am guessing that the tie-ins Snyder is suggesting will probably be like the ones I haven't liked.

I like the Court of Owls, so it will be interesting to see how Snyder revitalizes them and their threat level.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

I`ve always found interesting how opinions can differ so much. The tie ins to DOTF were the best thing about the event.

The actual meat story was a Joker stroke fest and little else. Capullo was amazing, tho.

Well his best work is still Black Mirror, a book starring Dick Grayson, that also features Tim in a minor supporting role.

Dick also had a part to play in endgame where he was the decoy Batman that allowed Bruce to find the cave with the lazarus pitish stuff Joker was using. I agree that death of the family was ass, but I don't think it was because he hated the bat family, he just wanted Joker to "win" and frankly wasn't very good at it.

I think Snyder definitely uses the Family, aside from Damian of course, but outside of Dick they generally don't get the kind of focus or degree of importance that he gives Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Duke, and the villain(s) of the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Snyder definitely uses the Family, aside from Damian of course, but outside of Dick they generally don't get the kind of focus or degree of importance that he gives Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Duke, and the villain(s) of the arc.
    And I'm generally fine with that. The first 3 are arguably the core trio of Batman and make the most sense for his solo, and Duke is his creation.

I wonder if the "War of Jokes and Riddles" that King hinted at in Batman #9 might play in to this somehow? There it was described as a past event, but maybe it suddenly starts to have repercussions on present day Gotham?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Well his best work is still Black Mirror, a book starring Dick Grayson, that also features Tim in a minor supporting role.
    Black Mirror will go down as one of the best Dick Grayson stories ever, and not just because it's a good plot and all, but because Snyder writes Dick masterfully with such nuance and insight.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”