Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What "resurrected" characters do you think are sticking around post-Dead No More

So....chances are at least one (or maybe a few) of these newly "resurrected" characters will be a part of the Spidey books in 2017 and beyond. I doubt very much Marvel and Slott are going through all these gyrations to have every one of these new clones (or whatever you want to call them) turn to dust at the end of the story (and, if that is the case, I think most readers would find that to be a major disappointment).

My money is on Gwen staying; I have felt that they were looking for a way to bring her back to the comics ever since Emma Stone made Gwen popular again in the movies and the Spider-Gwen title took it to the next level. Capt Stacy? Eh, maybe; not as essential as Gwen but it could be interesting to keep him around as well since he was actually a father figure of sorts to Peter and a Spidey supporter as well.

Thoughts?

Doctor Octopus is kind of a "gimme" on this subject. I do think it's possible that the Lizard's family will stick around. The Prowler, since he has a new ongoing.

I have a hard time seeing Gwen sticking around. The ASM films ended a few years ago with kind of a whimper. Slott has always argued against bringing her back before and even when the ASM films were in production. But now that those films have been relegated to the dust bin of history? Just seems weird.

Spider-Gwen isn't the new hotness anymore (the title still sells well, but it's clearly not the new hotness). Gwenpool also isn't burning up the sales charts. I think Marvel's obsession with Gwen seemingly being everywhere is kind of over at this point.

And Slott has said he has no plans for doing anything about Sins Past. That's fine for an arc with Gwen. Kind of hard to not deal with it if Gwen were to stick around. (Of course, Slott could be lying on this one.) Never mind that it would overshadow Parker Industries, and undercut his own arc.

What Kevinroc said. All the excessive deaths like the Connors and hopefully Mattie should be undone.

I also think it would be more interesting if they retained George sans Gwen. Keep his memories intact so that he knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man. So how does he grapple with the knowledge that Peter failed Gwen? If he were somehow reinstituted as Captain of Police then it would add to his dynamics with Spider-Man and his vigilantism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Doctor Octopus is kind of a "gimme" on this subject. I do think it's possible that the Lizard's family will stick around. The Prowler, since he has a new ongoing.

I have a hard time seeing Gwen sticking around. The ASM films ended a few years ago with kind of a whimper. Slott has always argued against bringing her back before and even when the ASM films were in production. But now that those films have been relegated to the dust bin of history? Just seems weird.

Spider-Gwen isn't the new hotness anymore (the title still sells well, but it's clearly not the new hotness). Gwenpool also isn't burning up the sales charts. I think Marvel's obsession with Gwen seemingly being everywhere is kind of over at this point.

And Slott has said he has no plans for doing anything about Sins Past. That's fine for an arc with Gwen. Kind of hard to not deal with it if Gwen were to stick around. (Of course, Slott could be lying on this one.) Never mind that it would overshadow Parker Industries, and undercut his own arc.
    pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What Kevinroc said. All the excessive deaths like the Connors and hopefully Mattie should be undone.

I also think it would be more interesting if they retained George sans Gwen. Keep his memories intact so that he knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man. So how does he grapple with the knowledge that Peter failed Gwen? If he were somehow reinstituted as Captain of Police then it would add to his dynamics with Spider-Man and his vigilantism.
    We haven't had a good liaison or connection between Spidey and the police force in a while, outside Quaid for Miles, especially after Yuri went off the deep-end so quickly.

Though, while I like George, I'd actually maybe prefer bringing DeWollf back.

Hopefully none. I hate clones.

But if I had to pick, whatever and whoever Doc Ock is atm then he can stay. Lizard''s family might give him some more baggage in a good way to the character. I want DeWolf too.

DeWolff seems more probable than George of sticking around. Stan himself wrote George's death, which left a huge impact on Slott as a kid. I can't see him wanting to undo George's death, as interesting as it could potentially be. And I have trouble seeing DeWolff coming back.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Doc Ock is a gimme I think. Possibly JJJ's wife as well. I think the new female Electro will stay as well as the new Electro. Not sure about the others. Except that I think Gwen and George won't be sticking around.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Dock Ock is the most definite, the villain makes the hero, and honestly, I don't see him staying dead. No villain ever really stays dead for long. The others? I keep second or even third guessing.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 10-28-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Slott has just pulled off the greatest sleight of hand trick in the history of comics with his obsessive attention to detail and professed love for pretty much everything in Spider-Man's canon except...Façade. Who is actually the new Jackal. And will be the protagonist of ASM for the next several years while Peter retires to make up for lost time with Gwen.

I agree that Doctor Octopus will stay given the lengths Slott went through in bringing him back to his classic self, and besides, he's one the greatest Spider-Man villains of all time. Other clones who I think will stick are the new Electro, Prowler, and (as reveled in Prowler #1) Madame Web.

However, the one clone I do see sticking around for the foreseeable future is Gwen Stacy. As was cited earlier, Spider-Gwen, while still having a following, isn't as popular as she was during Spider-Verse, and Gwenpool is a one-joke premise running stale. However, I don't see those as arguments for not having Gwen stay--quite the opposite in fact. From Marvel's standpoint, they might think "If fans get were once this excited for alternative Gwen's, why not bring the real Gwen back?" Second, the very first issue of Clone Conspiracy devoted an entire back-up in which it revealed how the real Gwen learned Peter was Spider-Man moments before she died. Moreover, we're getting an entire issue devoted to Gwen with Amazing Spider-Man #23. You don't just build up and embellish the "return" of a character like this only to then toss that character aside. You do so because you're telling your readers "This character is very important to this story, one who will have a huge impact on Spider-Man going forward."
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We haven't had a good liaison or connection between Spidey and the police force in a while, outside Quaid for Miles, especially after Yuri went off the deep-end so quickly.

Though, while I like George, I'd actually maybe prefer bringing DeWollf back.
    I'd love if Jean DeWolff stuck around, as I always hated how tragic, violent, and abrupt her sudden death was.
    Last edited by Montressor; 10-28-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I'd love in Jean DeWolff stuck around, as I always hated how tragic, violent, and abrupt her sudden death was.
    Me too. And let's not forget the extra tragic PS in the "Death of Jean DeWolff" storyline where Spidey discovered that Jean harbored a secret crush on him; that could open up all sorts of possibilities down the road as well.

I would rather now survive.

All of them? If Pete can come up with a way to stabilize the clones without them needing that daily pill, then everyone will be saved. Basically, the end effect of the story will be to revive several villains, including Doc Ock, as well as the original Madame Web, Gwen Stacy, and Mattie Franklin. Of course, with Cassandra Webb back around, Julia Carpenter will be able to go back to being a superhero as well. I wonder what Jessica would think of both of the other Spider-Women suddenly being back in action?