Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bat Family recommendations (Pre New 52)

I'm pretty new to DC comics, I just started reading post New 52. I'm wanting to back track pre-New 52 stories and I need help. What are good series, story arcs or characters to find out about? I currently read the majority of the Bat Family titles (Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight, Batman &, Catwoman, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Teen Titans, Birds of Prey and Batman Eternal) granted I think that's all of them.

I've gone back and read the Hush storyline, The Killing Joke and Batwoman Elegy. I want to learn more. Please please please help me learn more about all the Bat Family members. Include series titles and specific issues if necessary. I did just buy Batgirl 1-6 of Volume 1 and Volume 2. I heard there was a story arc where Red Robin and Catowoman hunt down Black Mask? Red Robin and Batgirl hunt down criminals? Bruce Wayne died? I kinda knew that but don't know issues and all that jazz. Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mera; 05-01-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mera View Post
    . . . I heard there was a story arc where Red Robin and Catowoman hunt down Black Mask? Red Robin and Batgirl hunt down criminals? Bruce Wayne died? I kinda knew that but don't know issues and all that jazz. Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Go to this thread from the old boards: http://oldforums.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events
    and go to post #4 for the Grant Morrison run, which includes the storyline Batman R.I.P., where Batman is believed to have died (but something even stranger happened after that).

Cool, thanks. There is so much I don't know and I want to find out. Despite the fact that I LOVE Barbra Gordon as Batgirl, I really like this idea of Cassandra Cain as Batgirl.

Cool, thanks. There is so much I don't know and I want to find out. Despite the fact that I LOVE Barbra Gordon as Batgirl, I really like this idea of Cassandra Cain as Batgirl.
    Barbara is a mixed bag . . . you have many people who felt she was better in her pre-New 52 role as Oracle. But you also have some (like me) who loved the older (and wiser?) Barbara we had prior to The Killing Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Barbara is a mixed bag . . . you have many people who felt she was better in her pre-New 52 role as Oracle. But you also have some (like me) who loved the older (and wiser?) Barbara we had prior to The Killing Joke.
    I can only make my decision based on this Batgirl series. I wanna know more about Barbara as Oracle. I like the idea of her being an omniscient player guiding people, but I do feel that she does that in the field in Birds of Prey.

I can only make my decision based on this Batgirl series. I wanna know more about Barbara as Oracle. I like the idea of her being an omniscient player guiding people, but I do feel that she does that in the field in Birds of Prey.
    Well, I haven't read Birds of Prey recently, but as I've "discussed" elsewhere, it's not quite the same thing when you're actually on the field and trying to monitor / track things while also physically fighting and protecting yourself. That may be more difficult, but you can't be quite as omniscient doing that as you can be from a physically removed command center and can juggle more things when you personally are not being physically attacked.

*dances*
    Oh, in this case, you'll LOVE her early Batgirl series(Cassandra's) and her part in No Man's Land. Barbara and Cass were like mother and daughter there. Their relationship was great.

Edit: But yes, don't touch anything with Beechen or Titans East in it. Just loads of bull. Best avoid it.