Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Marvel

Cyclops, Captain America, Emma Frost

DC

Superman, Aquaman

As you can tell, I like straightforward leader-type characters

They're in my screen name.

My favorite characters are in what I call the Odyssean archetype, as Odysseus is the first fictional character to exhibit these traits after the shift in the Greek heroic ideal between the Iliad and The Odyssey. It's a subject I wrote about in college. As Jasper Griffin wrote, "the plot of the Odyssey created a tension between two types of heroism: the dashing Iliadic fighter like Achilles, pitted against other heroes in equal battle, and the wily opponent of giants and witches, who must use guile against overwhelming force and impossible odds." Homo sapiens isn’t the biggest animal, nor the strongest, nor the fastest, doesn’t have the best sight, hearing or smell. What has made it the most dominant life form on the planet is its brain. In my sig are three quotes regarding the three characters in my screen name, and in each of them, those characters have been regarded as the most dangerous man on earth because of their minds. Charles Darwin wrote in The Origin of Species, "Man in the rudest state in which he now exists is the most dominant animal that has ever appeared on this earth. He has spread more widely than any other highly organized form; and all others have yielded before him. He manifestly owes this immense superiority to his intellectual faculties ...." These three characters represent that. In the third chapter of the book of Genesis, the serpent tells Eve that if she eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, "your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods …" Doom, for one, is a mortal man who has literally become as a god on multiple occasions, and he did so because of his mind. I've never cared for super-strong, physically invulnerable Bricks like Superman (and all the various Supermanalogues), Hulk, etc.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    They're in my screen name.

My favorite characters are in what I call the Odyssean archetype, as Odysseus is the first fictional character to exhibit these traits after the shift in the Greek heroic ideal between the Iliad and The Odyssey. It's a subject I wrote about in college. As Jasper Griffin wrote, "the plot of the Odyssey created a tension between two types of heroism: the dashing Iliadic fighter like Achilles, pitted against other heroes in equal battle, and the wily opponent of giants and witches, who must use guile against overwhelming force and impossible odds." Homo sapiens isn’t the biggest animal, nor the strongest, nor the fastest, doesn’t have the best sight, hearing or smell. What has made it the most dominant life form on the planet is its brain. In my sig are three quotes regarding the three characters in my screen name, and in each of them, those characters have been regarded as the most dangerous man on earth because of their minds. Charles Darwin wrote in The Origin of Species, "Man in the rudest state in which he now exists is the most dominant animal that has ever appeared on this earth. He has spread more widely than any other highly organized form; and all others have yielded before him. He manifestly owes this immense superiority to his intellectual faculties ...." These three characters represent that. In the third chapter of the book of Genesis, the serpent tells Eve that if she eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, "your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods …" Doom, for one, is a mortal man who has literally become as a god on multiple occasions, and he did so because of his mind. I've never cared for super-strong, physically invulnerable Bricks like Superman (and all the various Supermanalogues), Hulk, etc.
    Tony fits in with you're 3 heroes as well.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Tony Stark/Iron Man has been my favorite character since I was 5 years old and the older I get, the more I relate to him.

Bullseye is easliy my favorite villain. From the first time I read him in Daredevil. I am beyond excited he is getting his own book.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Favorite hero is Blade, I fell in love with the character through the movies but went back and read his comic origins and various runs and came to love the character in comics even more than the movie version. I enjoyed him as a very skilled human, with just immunity to vampire bites, but I also enjoy his current dhampire state

Favorite villain is Taskmaster and I've tracked down and read most of his appearances (even his tie ins with the Ultraverse), but the love of the character came from his first mini, by UDON,followed by his Agent X/Deadpool appearances, which is still my favorite Taskmaster stories
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Astonishing Member

Impossible not to like Kamala. Horrible what these idiots are doing to Carol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Super Hero: Ms. Marvel She is a wonderfully depicted young woman with a good heart trying to balance a lot of competing forces in her life but has a heart of gold.

Villain: Captain Marvel She is a great thug; a totalitarian jack booted enemy of the constitution and ordered liberty taken right from today's headlines. She is almost too realistic.
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 11-02-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Marvel

Cyclops, Captain America, Emma Frost

DC

Superman, Aquaman

As you can tell, I like straightforward leader-type characters
    Dude, much love for Aquaman! Have always loved him. And Cyke is always not far from my top 10. How do you feel about how he has been treated in the comics lately? I hate how one-sided everything is.

Don't necessarily have one, but I'll give a top 3 favorite:

MARVEL:

Carol Danvers pre-Civil War 2: I love her attitude towards everything and general sass, powerbase is clear cut and simple. Wish she had a lot more space stories.

She-Hulk: A woman of the law before resorting to punching. Her 2005 run is really fun to read and her banter with other female super-heroes and Jazinda is fantastic.

Laura Kinney: Very fascinating and fleshed out backstory. Incredibly happy that she has her own solo with the Wolverine moniker. If anyone deserves to have it, it's her considering everything she's been through throughout her life.

For Villains, it's a tie between Mystique/Raze/Kl'rt.

While Kl'rt has helped Richard Ryder in Secret Invasion and not a total tool, his earlier roles in FF were very fun to read.

Mystique: I love how you always questioned the line of a woman who has heart and a woman who does what she wants for personal gain. Her 24 issue solo really played around with what really were her true motivations in helping out
    Professor X.

Raze on the other hand, just doesn't give a ****. I really wish they would flesh out his character a little more, exploring how reckless and tactful he could be with the rest of the X-Men or Marvel verse. I don't where exactly No More Humans fall onto the timeline, if it even does at all, but I hope they bring him back.

DC is a quick one for me. Martian Manhunter, for my love of shape-shifters in comics and Lady Shiva because damn she bad.

Extraordinary Member

As I said in the DC Section, my favorite characters change from time to time. But I do have favorite corners of the Marvel Universe that, more or less, stay constant.

Those corners tend to be Spider-Man's universe and The Fantastic Four's.

Heroes: Peter Parker/Spider-Man and I also have a soft spot for Silver Surfer and Hulk.

Villains: Dr. Doom. I mean, would it be anyone else? I also like Kraven ever since I read Kraven's Last Hunt, in which he is a very tragic character. Oh, and Malekith is a total badass. I'm happy with what Aaron has been doing with him in Mighty Thor.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Marvel?

Spider-Man, Deadpool, Daredevil

Spider-Man because well, he is a flawed character who deals with a lot of business as Peter Parker while trying to be a decent hero.

Deadpool, because he is a parody character.

Daredevil: Blind superhero, or just blind costumed crimefighter, whichever fits.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

My favorite comic character is Susan Storm of the Fantastic Four and has been so now for a very, very long time. Why? Well, let's just say that I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her back when I was in grade school.

BANNED

Gee, that's a hard one. I can't do "hero" and "villain" because my faves tend to fall in the grey area, so I'll just break them down to different categories. Anyway, here goes:

Hero: Tony Stark/Iron Man

Why? Well, mostly because of his personality. He's smart, really, really smart, but he's not the greatest polymath on the planet who can solve everything no matter what. He's good at his element, extremely comic book-y good, but that's it. And that makes him stand out from the general super genius. He also breaks the mold by being a pretty cheerful guy and not an emotional robot, like so many fictional scientists. Apart from that, I love the fact that he deals with issues like depression, addiction and loneliness. He puts this playboy facade because deep down he's vulnerable and questions himself. And because of that, he has his moments of anger and authority, which I find a realistic trait as well. He's not the kindest, bestest guy out there, he makes mistakes, he has flaws and vices. But, despite all that, he still manages to come out on top.

And, another thing that makes the character so great, is that he's inspirational on a realistic level. He's not as uplifting as Superman (and that's not a knock on him, I find his worldview one of the most fascinating aspects about him), but he's the guy you want to be. He never gives up, and while he stumbles, he never really falls. He's all about taking what you have and through sheer force of will and work becoming great. He's an innovator but also a great designe, thus breaking from the whole "powerful machines can't be sleek" mold.

PS: I should probably add Steve Rogers/Captain America as an Honourable Mention, mainly due to his heroic and inspirational nature.

Anti-hero: Marc Spector/Moon Knight

Well, one aspect of him that I love is that he's a cool looking bad-ass. And honestly, that's the first thing you look for in an anti-hero. He takes nobody's ****, he does what he belives is right, and he does it with style. Apart from that, he's a very interesting character, not only because of his unique mental issues, but because of his religious undertones. The clash between his thirst for violence and blood and his desire to make up for his past actions, which prompts him to use unethical means to find redemption for... his past unethical actions. it's an interesting irony, which I find fascinating. The whole nature versus nurture angle and the desire to do good but being plauged by your "needs" just makes for a fascinating read when used correctly.

Anti-Villain: Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

He's just the epitome of a tragic character. He has all the traits of a great hero, but because of his inner demons, he acts as a coldblooded villain. Which is ironic, since he's a very emotional person, considering that while he thinks and pretends to be a purely logical man, his motivations more often than not stem from his inner desires. He has problems and insecurities, but because of the hardships of life, he tries to block them in order to become "perfect". And what I find fascinating is that, despite all that, he's got good intentions. He just doesn't care about petty things, as he considers morality completely subjective and the laws of man insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I mean, we're talking about the guy who's mastered science and sorcery, met the devil and fought gods and demons. In general, what makes him stand out is that he's motivated by purely human reasons, but since he weilds so much power, his judgement is clouded, and in his quest for greatness, despite his good intentions, he becomes more and more corrupted by the very things he wishes to master.

Villain: Thanos

Thanos is the most complex "villain", as far as I'm concerned. He's cruel and completely devoid of compassion, yet, numerous times he has helped the universe find balance. He's not a proud man in the sense of considering himself more important than everyone else, as he realises the vastness of reality and the insignificance of man. And so, in order to be free of this feeling of powerlessness, he seeks power, he craves it, each time more and more. But, in the end, he finds even that hollow, his sole intention being to finally be at peace, by uniting with Death herself. And while that could've made for a great neutrual character, the fact that he commits genocides constantly, makes him a villain. Ultimately, what makes him interesting is that he's driven by curiosity and melancholy, but because of him believing life to be futile and empty, he commits acts of horror, considering them of no importance to the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by Darthkostis; 11-02-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Fantastic Member

Besides the classic villains I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Hyde, mainly because there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with his character and the themes surrounding his character. He started out as a foil to Thor, gaining his powers through science and not magic, and went on to fight the Hulk, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Captain America at various points in his career.

Plus Dr. Zabo created the potion to live out his favorite story, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and do bad things and not get caught, which is exactly why Jekyll made the potion in the book XD He was really serious about living out the story! (It also touched on the book's themes when after years of taking the stuff he became STUCK as Hyde for a while.)