Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who Is Your Favourite Superhero/Villain and Why?

I'm posting this in both Marvel and DC sub-divisions, so you can have a Marvel side and a DC side.

I'm just curious as to who you guys like the most and why. I always see people saying they love people like Namor and Wonder Man (who I both enjoy), but I've wondered why. I always feel like my favourites end up being the stereotypical Captain America/Iron Man/Spider-Man characters and not the slightly more obscure choices. Who's your favourite and why? Sound away!

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Terra from Teen Titans was my fave DC baddie - loved her joining and betraying the Titans
    Mr Sinister would be the Marvel baddie -I like the sexy/evil Dr Frankstein theme

Marvel Jean Grey as a whole has been my fav comic personality
    DC-Supergirl Red Lantern-a Kyrptoian with anger management issues made he fun to read.

supergirl.jpg
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 10-30-2016 at 02:00 AM.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Thor and the Hulk because as cliche as it sounds they seemed like the biggest and strongest guys around.Not the most cerebral of reasons but as a puny little kid just starting to learn to read, it just seem so exciting reading their adventures and seeing how strong and tough they were. Even now as a adult, I still have that emotional attachment to them that I initially had as a child though my reading requirements nowadays doesn't just consist of seeing someone getting hit over the head with a hammer or getting smashed!

Squirrel girl, comedy aside I think there's a lot you could do with her as she is one of the very few half human/animal characters plus she is one those people who were born after their time and I know 3 people who are actually like that
    spiderman (peter parker), one of the 1st if not the 1st hero who didn't have it all in their personal lives. He was viewed with suspicion even by other heroes, he wasn't rich or had a super successful career and had to fight with just the limited resources he had
    New Avengers, all new all different avengers,Ms Marvel,Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,Silk,squadron supreme

Ultimate Member

For Marvel, I love some newer characters like America Chavez, but my favorite over time has to be Hank Pym. Lot's of people embrace a heroic identity, but he's just delightfully uncertain about the whole thing, and keeps changing his mind. Scientifically, he's a kid in a candy shop. He's constantly discovering new applications for his Pym particles, and sometimes that leads to another change in identity (from Ant-Man to Giant-Man, for instance). He hands out equipment, and costumed identities, like candy, sharing his inventions in a way that Reed or Stark never do (Stark in particular will straight up murder people to keep his tech in-house, as seen in the Armor Wars!), making him the unlikely source of heroes from the Wasp, to Black Goliath, to the second Ant-Man, the new Giant-Man, Stature/Stinger, etc. Even his evil robot 'son', Ultron, went on to create the Vision, Jocasta and Victor la Mancha, who've all gone on to heroic turns. Through it all, he's plagued with the sort of confidence issues that never seem to bother other super-heroes, or super-geniuses, which makes him feel a lot more real to me.

But ask me again, and I'll probably give you a different answer. I could probably write a paragraph about why Madrox is my favorite, because both his power and his attitude are kind of perfect! There are a ton of characters I love. Acrobatic swashbuckler larger-than-life Nightcrawler, who has been handed a turd sandwich of a life at times, and somehow keeps everyone else smiling with his upbeat attitude. Snarky defensive characters who keep others at bay with sarcasm like Quicksilver or Northstar. Ladies with poise and regal attitude like Moondragon or Snowbird. Dependable solid trustworthy comfortable leaders like Captain America or (classic) Cyclops. There's a lot of characters to love, for a lot of different reasons!

dmouse has a good point with Spider-Man. Part of what has made him relatable and cool all these years has been the trials and tribulations that come with his life as Peter Parker, which made him not merely superhuman, but also *human.* He didn't live in a mansion, his entire family wasn't all mysteriously dead, he had a steady job he had to juggle, he had to pay rent, he famously once caught cold because he left his supersuit in the sink to dry and it didn't before he had to go out, etc.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-30-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well the superhero one is easy - Peter Parker, Spider-Man. He's been my favourite super-hero from the day I first saw the 90s cartoon series.

The super villain however is harder for me but I'll go with Doctor Victor Von Doom.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Oh god that's a hard question. There are a lot of Marvel characters that I love and a lot of characters that I could see becoming a future favorite of mine. But right now I guess Emma Frost, Rocket and Groot stands out to me the most. I'm not sure why I like Emma so much, I just think that she's a cool character. I like how she went from a bad guy to good guy, and once that she turned good she stayed good too. I think her powers are cool and I like her personality. Plus she does get some good funny lines. With Rocket Raccoon I like how he is this tiny animal but he thinks he's a big macho man. I also think one of the reasons that I like him so much is because I just grew up with talking animals comics from Sonic the Hedgehog, to Looney Tunes, and Darkwing Duck so with Rocket it just feels right that that one of my favorites would be a talking animal. And Groot, who does't like Groot? To me Rocket and Groot are a duo so the two just go together. I don't think I have a favorite villain there are a lot that I like but I wouldn't say that I have one thats my favorite. I also haven't read that much DC comics yet so I don't really have a favorite DC character yet.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

Favourite superhero is Invisible Woman. Reading her growth as a character from the meek, and unsure Invisible Girl. Who didn't know what to do and had to have Reed lead her by the hand for everything. To becoming the powerful and more sure Invisible Woman was awesome. I like that she doubts herself and never pushes her powers to their full potential, I find it very human. She is usually the member of her team that gets ignored the most, that is something I can definitely connect with personally. Her being a mother as well as a superhero is also a dynamic you don't really see, the juggle of the two leads to interesting and heartfelt moments as being a superhero isn't a safe job.

Also, her powers are very awesome, and the fact that her force fields are only limited by her imagination can lead to some great stuff.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Can't cite for DC since I haven't read or be knowledgeable enough about their stuff to give an opinion, but for Marvel...

Favorite Hero: Kamala Khan Ms Marvel. I can relate to her a lot on a huge number of levels as a geek/nerd and someone who's a product of two cultures and doesn't quite fully fit into either one of them. I like her strong sense of morality and a desire to do what's right, looking up to heroes of the past as her inspiration. The Marvel heroes may be fictional, but through reading the comics and watching the MCU and other material, they take on a life of their own.

Favorite Villain: Magneto. I love his character complexities and how he's not an outright evil or monstrous being that wants to see everything burn. The poor guy's been through hell with the Holocaust and shaped his viewpoints to be the opposite end of Professor X, making him a perfect foil for the X-Men. To see the times where he actually tries to be a good guy and be on good terms with the heroic mutants makes for good drama, stories, and character evolution.

BANNED

Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character... he's not quite the goody two shoes hero but he does heroic things sometimes. He has strong ties with Japan and i like Japan. Adamantium skeleton and claws are pretty cool.

Kingpin is my favorite villain... he just makes the book which he appearaces in alot cooler. He's the big crime boss, the street level mafia guy. I like that.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Shadowcat, because of her attitude, powers, and looks.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Hero/ Marvel: Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    He is a flawed and relatable human being who still manages to keep up with Super Soldiers, Metahumans and Gods through pure skill and will all while spouting cheesy oneliners.

Villain/ Marvel: Doom
    Read Secret Wars

And because I am too lazy to go to the DC Section:

Villain/ DC: Deathstroke
    A complex character with a cool daughter, a no-bullshit-mentality and a really cool character design.

Hero/ DC: Huntress
    The one bird of prey that has the coolest attitude and the best look/ weapons.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Favorite Hero: Wonder Man. Wonder Man reappeared around the time I started reading comics. I like his powers and story.
    Many writers have gone out of there way to write him wrong but when writers do him justice, Shooter, Michelinie and Byrne, he's a great character.

Favorite Villain: Magneto. Before Claremont turned him into a kind of hero he was one mean SOB.

"TOP 5": Moonstone, Wiccan, Emma Frost, Baron Zemo & Doctor Voodoo

HERO: Wiccan [William 'Billy' Kaplan], the Demiurge
    As a kid I always loved magic. I always played as the magician in computer games, I always enjoyed the visuals of it, and how they often won a battle NOT by brute strength but cunning. Wiccan is very similar to me, and as a gay comic reader I loved finding a character like me to root for (which is very rare). He has the most perfect boyfriend, he wields magic like a bad-ass, and visually his costume is my favourite of all comics. But it's the darkness in him, in a soul so tender, that makes me adore him. And it was Kieron Gillen who elevated him to my second favourite comic character of all time. In Young Avengers he was so wonderfully flawed, but at his core he was an undenably good person. Gillen also made him one of the most powerful magic users in Marvel (destined to one day be THE MOST powerful). That's huge for any LGBT+ character, who never gets to be "the best". The moments that sold me on loving him was his tragic self-sacrifice saying he "IwishedIwassomeonebetter"; that's brutal, and speaks volumes for him as a character. Then you had his caring and understanding break-up. This is a character so deserving of happiness, and when he doesn't get it... HE DEALS! He accepts. He is noble about it. GOD I love Wiccan!

VILLAIN: Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen, M.D.]
    My favourite comic character of all time. I have always been drawn to powerful women as characters to root for, and she has that in spades. It was the first run of Thunderbolts (under Busiek/Bagley) where I first knew I loved her character. It was over the three issue arc when they were unmasked, first she took on Techno and Zemo when everyone else was down, taking a huge amount of punishment and pushing through it. The second was during the conclusion, she basically handed Zemo his ass, brutally too. It was so empowering. I love her manipulations, her darker side BUT she also has (deep, deep down) a heart, that can be broken. She's complex, and complex characters make wonderful reading. She's merciless when needs be, and Fabian Nicieze elevated her gloriousness even further. She is powerful enough to fight the Hulk, YET it is her mind, not her moonstone, that makes her a credible threat.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-30-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Superhero - It seems to change based on the comics that I'm reading. It went from Wolverine, to Spider-Man to Daredevil to Nova. All the superheroes that I really want to root for, Marvel seems to put crappy artists on or have comics that I don't seem to care about. If I could do a group, it would be the X-Men, no doubt. I guess I'll go with Colossus, even though the last time I enjoyed reading a comic with Colossus in it was Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday.

Villain - Magneto. I don't really follow the Fantastic Four, otherwise I'd have gone with Doctor Doom, but Magneto was the prototypical bad guy for me. He was a bad guy, yes, but he was a bad guy whose reasons I could understand.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/