Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Thoughts on How Steve Trevor Should Be Written?

I wanna hear everyone's different points of view on how they feel like the character Steve Trevor should be best written?

In my personal opinion, in addition to writing the character as to how William Moulton Marston had wrote him, I also think that the character Steve Trevor should represent the very best that mankind (mankind meaning his gender in this particular context rather than humanity as a whole) has to offer.

I've always looked at Diana/Wonder Woman as the very best that womankind has to offer, I am also a spiritual person who believes in the law of attraction & in twin flames, so I think that Diana's twin flame, Steve Trevor, should represent the very best that mankind has to offer.

This thread is for all people's views on how the character is best written, not just Steve & Wonder Woman shippers like myself. You could be a Superman & Wonder Woman shipper, or ship Wonder Woman with a female, or not care about shipping at all in general, but still like (or love) Steve separately as a character & offer your view on how the character should be written.
    Last edited by 7-Love; 10-30-2016 at 04:05 PM.

BANNED

Well, there's the useless Golden Age version, the a hole silver age version, the constantly dying Bronze Age version, and the old man Post Crisis version.

Basically, make him a good guy that almost tries to be the silver age version. Like, basically imagine Clark Kent trying to act like Hal Jordan or Guy Gardner. He's genuinely good, but feels almost forced to take on a false maschismo that society forces on men. Thus, he ends up getting captured a lot.

Mighty Member

The Golden Age version is the best. Sweet, charming, cheesecake-y, and a bit oblivious but genuinely a good guy who fails sometimes.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I mostly agree. I don't want Steve to be oblivious. I don't think this version of Diana would be attracted to a man who is oblivious. I would think Steve should straddle the line between Superman and Batman. He's syringe, confident, secure...but he's also rather reserved, not real close to others necessarily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I mostly agree. I don't want Steve to be oblivious. I don't think this version of Diana would be attracted to a man who is oblivious. I would think Steve should straddle the line between Superman and Batman. He's syringe, confident, secure...but he's also rather reserved, not real close to others necessarily.
    He's gotta be a top drawer guy...both from a literary viewpoint and a readers viewpoint you can't gave a Steve who's....ordinary.

Extremely confident....but maybe the entrance of Diana started a process that made him question things in his life...I think as a counterpoint to her, he's someone who would reflect how best a man would handle a woman who challenges a lot of norms. He comes from a tradition that's very staid and somewhat hidebound...what kind a personal journey does he take when he feels he has to evolve to be where Diana is (by the same token, where Diana feels she should change to be where Steve is). And thus isn't just on a romantic level...it's on a level where two close friends from two different traditions feel they have to change in view if their friendship.

So, yes, someone who has a good heart, who's sometimes obtuse, but works constantly to be better on a personal level.

Extraordinary Member

The only problem I have with Steve as he is now is that he is almost too good.

It may be a bit of cliche in stories these days, but I think it's still true that you can't have heat without at least a LITTLE friction. The great thing about the character for Tom Tresser [for me] was that he hid his light under a pretty big bushel and it caused some grief between him and Diana even when they were obviously working well together.

I would prefer a Steve that does NOT agree with Diana all the time. He has to have a mind and opinions of his own. Sometimes his will end up being wrong, but maybe sometimes Diana learns something from him.

He has to contribute something to the relationship. Both personally and in the field. Again, a reason I liked Tom is that he could do things that Diana could not. She could rip the door off a bank vault with ease, but he's the one that could hack a computer system or defuse a bomb. Wonder Woman should be the star of her book, but if the purpose of Steve Trevor is to show that a man can have a girlfriend who is powerful then showing him as weak or redundant is self defeating. Its saying that only a weak or ineffectual man can be in a relationship with a strong woman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post
    I wanna hear everyone's different points of view on how they feel like the character Steve Trevor should be best written?
    Three words for how I'd want Steve Trevor done: Blonde. Dick. Grayson.

Physically and Mentally.

I'd like Steve Trevor to subvert expectations by being average physically (a lean 5'9"/5'10", 160-170 lbs frame) with minimal toxic masculinity (he's a positive, laid-back secure guy who is neither cocky nor crass, neither timid nor shys away from conflict). Yes, that means he'd be more than fine with a truly amazonian Diana who physically towers over him (a thick 6'2"/6'3", 180-190 lbs frame).

Really didn't like the Blonde Hal Jordan riff they went for him in the 2009 WW animated movie.

Retired

Just to be clear my "bloodless" was meant in the sense of being leaden, lukewarm or insipid. I haven't read all of the more recent stuff, but it seems like even the stuff that tries to be daring is overworked. Whereas, Marston put all of his own peculiar feelings into the work without editing himself. The best paralled to this for Grant Morrison is his Invisibles, I think--where he puts all of his own personal self into the creation.

The thing I've always felt about William Moulton Marston and H.G. Peter is that they weren't immersed in the comic book world, so when they wrote and illustrated Wonder Woman they made up their own rules--and that's one reason why their work seems so out of left field. Whereas all the writers and artists since then (with few exceptions) have been folks who know how to write and draw comics, according to the rules of the time. So that work always fits within the borders of the medium.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Just to be clear my "bloodless" was meant in the sense of being leaden, lukewarm or insipid. I haven't read all of the more recent stuff, but it seems like even the stuff that tries to be daring is overworked. Whereas, Marston put all of his own peculiar feelings into the work without editing himself. The best paralled to this for Grant Morrison is his Invisibles, I think--where he puts all of his own personal self into the creation.

The thing I've always felt about William Moulton Marston and H.G. Peter is that they weren't immersed in the comic book world, so when they wrote and illustrated Wonder Woman they made up their own rules--and that's one reason why their work seems so out of left field. Whereas all the writers and artists since then (with few exceptions) have been folks who know how to write and draw comics, according to the rules of the time. So that work always fits within the borders of the medium.
    Hm.....we talking about aspects of Amazon culture and how they translate into Western European culture? Or are we talking about sexuality (and how does your prototypical alpha male like Steve deal with variant ideas about sex, sexuality and relationships?)

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post

In my personal opinion, in addition to writing the character as to how William Moulton Marston had wrote him, I also think that the character Steve Trevor should represent the very best that mankind (mankind meaning his gender in this particular context rather than humanity as a whole) has to offer.

I've always looked at Diana/Wonder Woman as the very best that womankind has to offer, I am also a spiritual person who believes in the law of attraction & in twin flames, so I think that Diana's twin flame, Steve Trevor, should represent the very best that mankind has to offer.

This thread is for all people's views on how the character is best written, not just Steve & Wonder Woman shippers like myself. You could be a Superman & Wonder Woman shipper, or ship Wonder Woman with a female, or not care about shipping at all in general, but still like (or love) Steve separately as a character & offer your view on how the character should be written.
    One of the things I like about WW Rebirth is the way that Rucka and the two STELLAR artists interpreted Steve Trevor. Ubersoldier and all around decent human being. I love Liam Sharp's interp with the beard and I adore Scott's clean shaven take.

One thing I could see Steve and Diana disagreeing if you want to make him a person that doesn't always agree with Diana. Steve while agrees in equal rights come still have a few bias thinks due to gender and a few other things. MAybe it should also be how Diana at times come across.

I like to see more of the "Soldier" Steve and have him interact more with Veterans in the books. I think he should be more vocal in the comics regarding Veterans rights. I think he is good with Diana as far as how they get along.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing I could see Steve and Diana disagreeing if you want to make him a person that doesn't always agree with Diana. Steve while agrees in equal rights come still have a few bias thinks due to gender and a few other things. MAybe it should also be how Diana at times come across.
    Apart from gender what else could Steve and Diana disagree upon like in the movie how she wanted to get Ludendorff but Steve was thinking more of the long term way? Because we need to get a more definite idea of how Diana works to contrast how she and Steve work.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 01-23-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Apart from gender what else could Steve and Diana disagree upon like in the movie how she wanted to get Ludendorff but Steve was thinking more of the long term way? Because we need to get a more definite idea of how Diana works to contrast how she and Steve work.
    Diana is a person who at times doesn’t always believe in fighting . So at times Steve will fight or doesn’t fight. Another thing is Steve’s loyalty at times. Diana while helping Argus does also go against them and this can cause Steve to be on what sides. Another thing is Diana’s idea of where she places her villains. She doesn’t give them to Argus or the military but places them in a jail in Gateway that has another system

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana is a person who at times doesn’t always believe in fighting . So at times Steve will fight or doesn’t fight. Another thing is Steve’s loyalty at times. Diana while helping Argus does also go against them and this can cause Steve to be on what sides. Another thing is Diana’s idea of where she places her villains. She doesn’t give them to Argus or the military but places them in a jail in Gateway that has another system
    You have to be clear on what will make them articularly Steve act the way is doing it for practical reasons or something?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he