Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Apart from gender what else could Steve and Diana disagree upon like in the movie how she wanted to get Ludendorff but Steve was thinking more of the long term way? Because we need to get a more definite idea of how Diana works to contrast how she and Steve work.
    Despite her being trained in the art of combat , she was also raised by the amazons and the Amazonian ideology. She hasn’t seen bloodshed. So when she comes here she should try to fix things the amazons way but it doesn’t work. Even after the fact she has been here for years she should still keep this idealist view whole Steve is realistic

Extraordinary Member

Now see there's the problem writing Steve and Wonder Woman's relationship. There is never a solid effort to make them particularly Steve people. When you prioritize romance over character you wind up with pretty flat and uninteresting characters. Think Romeo and Juliet. Now granted in the Rebirth comic there were some interesting things at the start but again the same mistakes were made by the writers who did not make Steve Trevor a person again. Once you work out who a character is you can get a clear sense of how their dynamics as a couple would work. Like what are Steve's views in life and goals in life and how would it affect his relationship Diana.
    Steve has to fit into Diana's world, and that means how he interacts with Diana in their relationship. Steve is not the star, he's supporting case. What does the relationship bring to Diana? How does it inform her character?

While giving Steve depth is nice, it should never come at the expense of Diana

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Despite her being trained in the art of combat , she was also raised by the amazons and the Amazonian ideology. She hasn’t seen bloodshed. So when she comes here she should try to fix things the amazons way but it doesn’t work. Even after the fact she has been here for years she should still keep this idealist view whole Steve is realistic
    You know this is exactly what Mr. Marston should have gone and it makes perfect sense compared to the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, and Post-Crisis portrayals. Now if only there was a way to sneak this into the comic. So good work but what his skill set what sort of skill should he have that strengthen his identity as a character?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Steve has to fit into Diana's world, and that means how he interacts with Diana in their relationship. Steve is not the star, he's supporting case. What does the relationship bring to Diana? How does it inform her character?

While giving Steve depth is nice, it should never come at the expense of Diana
    I'm not saying he should over take her I'm saying he need strong characterisation in order to figure out his role Diana's world. In fact look at all of the Trinity's supporting cast members from minor to major they all have strong personalities that have defined who they are and their interactions with the other characters and what they bring to their relationships with lead protagonist. So focus on giving him some well-defined skills, personality, role, and background. Once you figure out who Steve Trevor is you can figure out what he can bring to a relationship with Diana. Here's my take on him having worked for A.R.G.U.S. as part of a covert group the Oddfellows that looks for powerful artifacts for the government he has become cynical of those with power as he knows that the people he works for can be corrupt but he knows that good men can be found among the bad which was how he founded the Oddfellows. But meeting Diana made him change his mind about people power a little but he nevertheless keeps his guard up and knows he has to make some hard choices. As to what his skills are he is a strong and practical leader of men and as for the relationship Steve brings a more down to earth perspective to Diana's life. And she shows him that there is indeed good even among those with power. But the most important thing to finding his place in Diana's world is his purpose and that what does he do to drive the story forward if you want him to be a good supporting character you must think about his purpose, the reason for his continued existence.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 01-25-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not saying he should over take her I'm saying he need strong characterisation in order to figure out his role Diana's world. In fact look at all of the Trinity's supporting cast members from minor to major they all have strong personalities that have defined who they are and their interactions with the other characters and what they bring to their relationships with lead protagonist. So focus on giving him some well-defined skills, personality, role, and background. Once you figure out who Steve Trevor is you can figure out what he can bring to a relationship with Diana. Here's my take on him having worked for A.R.G.U.S. as part of a covert group the Oddfellows that looks for powerful artifacts for the government he has become cynical of those with power as he knows that the people he works for can be corrupt but he knows that good men can be found among the bad which was how he founded the Oddfellows. But meeting Diana made him change his mind about people power a little but he nevertheless keeps his guard up and knows he has to make some hard choices. As to what his skills are he is a strong and practical leader of men and as for the relationship Steve brings a more down to earth perspective to Diana's life. And she shows him that there is indeed good even among those with power. But the most important thing to finding his place in Diana's world is his purpose and that what does he do to drive the story forward if you want him to be a good supporting character you must think about his purpose, the reason for his continued existence.
    His characterization is dependent on his role, not the other way around

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Maybe it would be intersting to compare/contrast their actions to make him stand out more?

It's just like with Diana. She's a living, breathing contradiction in several ways. The most obvious one is she's a soldier of peace.

Diana is very forward in her combat approach. She tends to tske things head on, then adjusts her strategy when needed.

Steve is more discreet, opting to not let his enemies see all his cards.

Diana is more direct when it comes to getting info and the lasso is a gateway for that. Steve is more sublte with his approach, and it shows in his style of espionage.

Don't try to clean it up. Embrace the differences between them and make it work. Make it interesting. Make it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Maybe it would be intersting to compare/contrast their actions to make him stand out more?

It's just like with Diana. She's a living, breathing contradiction in several ways. The most obvious one is she's a soldier of peace.

Diana is very forward in her combat approach. She tends to tske things head on, then adjusts her strategy when needed.

Steve is more discreet, opting to not let his enemies see all his cards.

Diana is more direct when it comes to getting info and the lasso is a gateway for that. Steve is more sublte with his approach, and it shows in his style of espionage.

Don't try to clean it up. Embrace the differences between them and make it work. Make it interesting. Make it fun!
    I find it so cool that there are people who instead of hating on Steve Trevor they actually want to improve him wish DC would hire any of us. We'd take Wonder Woman to new heights. And I think this approach to improving is one fo the best ones I seen.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 01-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I find it so cool that there are people who instead of hating on Steve Trevor they actually want to improve him wish DC would hire any of us. We'd take Wonder Woman to new heights.
    They should to be honest. What sense does it make to make only great movies but not great comic stories? The movie couldn't have been made and wouldn't have been good if there wasn't any good source material, or good ideas to work with. They need to start requiring these writers to have a good script, a sales pitch if you will, before tackling stories.

Another area could be measuring Diana's pagan beliefs vs
    Steve's skepticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    They should to be honest. What sense does it make to make only great movies but not great comic stories? The movie couldn't have been made and wouldn't have been good if there wasn't any good source material, or good ideas to work with. They need to start requiring these writers to have a good script, a sales pitch if you will, before tackling stories.

Another area could be measuring Diana's pagan beliefs vs
    Steve's skepticism.
    Agreed but admittedly I always thought people would rather kill off Steve or forget about him considering the shoddy writing he got and how many times he died in the Silver and Bronze Age and finally aging him up and marrying him off to Etta Candy which allowed character to ignoring him as much as they want. My main question is how long can Steve maintain his skeptical views the longer he is with Diana because he would look like idiot if he keeps it up.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 01-26-2018 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    His characterization is dependent on his role, not the other way around
    I know that but love interest is a flat and boring role a major character's role is twofold.

I contributed this to the "What Can Steve Be Best At In The DCU" thread earlier this month. It touches on a few points of how Steve can have life and definition as his own character in the DCU and/or in relation to Diana and the Wonder mythos.

"I really enjoyed the Steve Trevor resurgence in the DCnU and think being the head of ARGUS and the catalyst for bring together and being in command of the Justice League of America really suited him. (It's a shame it sort of fizzled out...and IIRC in Wonder Woman it recently said he and Etta aren't part of ARGUS anymore, so BOO!)

So anyway, and similarly to RudHao, I'd make him the best "good guy" at espionage and best commander of teams in the DCU, by reestablishing him as the head of ARGUS. Not that I don't think Diana is a good leader of teams or necessarily worse than he is, but it may be something they connect together about and see a similarity in one another.

Steve is naturally charismatic and has an unbreakable streak of fairness, compassion, loyalty, and morality running through him and that'd be interesting to portray in his leading others in ARGUS, let alone encountering other agencies (Suicide Squad, Checkmate, DEO, SHADE, etc.) in the DCU and threatening criminal organizations (HIVE, League of Shadows, Kobra, etc.) He's a counterpoint to the more Machiavellian Amanda Waller or other evil-ish leaders. He fights for honesty and truth (shades of Diana's character) in his own way, even in the messy world of human, metahuman, magical, mythical, alien, extradimensional, demigod, and divine espionage.

Like Lois Lane (often the smartest person in the room - even rooms containing Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne) and her skills at piecing together clues in investigative journalism, I see Steve similarly but it's in his understanding of spycraft, ability to make connections others might not see at first pass, and empathize with his targets and opponents.

Like Catwoman, I see him as being incredibly skilled at impromptu planning, responses, and actions for the best outcome. Where Batman often thinks many steps ahead and lays the groundwork for his planning, Selina and Steve are both up to that task, but also very successful at quick-on-their-feet planning and judgements when things go haywire. He's the guy you want in the field when things go wrong, because he has inherent skill in using the resources and people (human, metahuman, etc.) around him to best effect.

I love Steve and Steve and Diana together and it's time to give him his due. Also, I really want a miniseries starring the Trinity of Significant Others, starring Lois, Selina, and Steve on an adventure. It'd be a dynamic way to delve into the Trinity and their own characters."

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I contributed this to the "What Can Steve Be Best At In The DCU" thread earlier this month. It touches on a few points of how Steve can have life and definition as his own character in the DCU and/or in relation to Diana and the Wonder mythos.

"I really enjoyed the Steve Trevor resurgence in the DCnU and think being the head of ARGUS and the catalyst for bring together and being in command of the Justice League of America really suited him. (It's a shame it sort of fizzled out...and IIRC in Wonder Woman it recently said he and Etta aren't part of ARGUS anymore, so BOO!)

So anyway, and similarly to RudHao, I'd make him the best "good guy" at espionage and best commander of teams in the DCU, by reestablishing him as the head of ARGUS. Not that I don't think Diana is a good leader of teams or necessarily worse than he is, but it may be something they connect together about and see a similarity in one another.

Steve is naturally charismatic and has an unbreakable streak of fairness, compassion, loyalty, and morality running through him and that'd be interesting to portray in his leading others in ARGUS, let alone encountering other agencies (Suicide Squad, Checkmate, DEO, SHADE, etc.) in the DCU and threatening criminal organizations (HIVE, League of Shadows, Kobra, etc.) He's a counterpoint to the more Machiavellian Amanda Waller or other evil-ish leaders. He fights for honesty and truth (shades of Diana's character) in his own way, even in the messy world of human, metahuman, magical, mythical, alien, extradimensional, demigod, and divine espionage.

Like Lois Lane (often the smartest person in the room - even rooms containing Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne) and her skills at piecing together clues in investigative journalism, I see Steve similarly but it's in his understanding of spycraft, ability to make connections others might not see at first pass, and empathize with his targets and opponents.

Like Catwoman, I see him as being incredibly skilled at impromptu planning, responses, and actions for the best outcome. Where Batman often thinks many steps ahead and lays the groundwork for his planning, Selina and Steve are both up to that task, but also very successful at quick-on-their-feet planning and judgements when things go haywire. He's the guy you want in the field when things go wrong, because he has inherent skill in using the resources and people (human, metahuman, etc.) around him to best effect.

I love Steve and Steve and Diana together and it's time to give him his due. Also, I really want a miniseries starring the Trinity of Significant Others, starring Lois, Selina, and Steve on an adventure. It'd be a dynamic way to delve into the Trinity and their own characters."
    If I may though have you know thought about Steve Trevor as a person because the Wonder Woman movie got that right by treating Steve Trevor as a person. So ask yourself these questions. How has his experiences defined him? What drives him? And no helping Wonder Woman is not going to be enough you have to think about giving him a goal that is exclusive to him. Examples include Lois Lane's goal was never simply to marry Superman (until the Silver Age that is) it was to get the scoop and expose the truth within reason. Selina it was to steal stuff but by no means was she completely heartless. So consider all that please and you know try to make happen.

Swiss army nerd

I posted this earlier on another thread, so I'll just copy and paste it here as it's sorta relevant?

I think I come down on the side of the fence that there's nothing that Steve is the best in the world at. The important thing is that Steve knows this and he's fine with it. He hangs with Wonder Woman so he can't be someone who is self conscious about that kind of thing. I actually think something that would draw Diana to Steve is his absolute lack of ego and pride. He'll get the job done no matter what and no macho bravado or ego will get in his way. There's an honesty to that that Wonder Woman would adore. He's a man who sees himself very, very clearly, and has no trouble comparing himself unfavourably to others. If she were being utterly honest, Diana would have to admit to having an element of ego and pride in her abilities as a warrior. She's always challenging herself to be better. Steve doesn't want to be better, he just wants to be enough.

Imagine them meeting first and Steve is this rough around the edges guy with no real care for his appearance (it's wartime) or pride in how he gets the job done. His pride is that the job gets done. Compare him to this utterly flawless diamond that is Diana. Someone trained to almost perfection and also basically divinely powered. She'd probably find herself slightly put off by him at first. But Diana is compassionate and good and caring and loving and always looks to find the best in people, the bit to love, and so she looks for that in Steve. And she finds utter humility, scathing self honesty. He just wants to be enough to get the job done. So much so that he's willing to submit to the higher authority of his superiors to that end. And then he meets Diana, someone he's utterly ready to submit to in terms of his ego, a more loving authority.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I posted this earlier on another thread, so I'll just copy and paste it here as it's sorta relevant?

I think I come down on the side of the fence that there's nothing that Steve is the best in the world at. The important thing is that Steve knows this and he's fine with it. He hangs with Wonder Woman so he can't be someone who is self conscious about that kind of thing. I actually think something that would draw Diana to Steve is his absolute lack of ego and pride. He'll get the job done no matter what and no macho bravado or ego will get in his way. There's an honesty to that that Wonder Woman would adore. He's a man who sees himself very, very clearly, and has no trouble comparing himself unfavourably to others. If she were being utterly honest, Diana would have to admit to having an element of ego and pride in her abilities as a warrior. She's always challenging herself to be better. Steve doesn't want to be better, he just wants to be enough.

Imagine them meeting first and Steve is this rough around the edges guy with no real care for his appearance (it's wartime) or pride in how he gets the job done. His pride is that the job gets done. Compare him to this utterly flawless diamond that is Diana. Someone trained to almost perfection and also basically divinely powered. She'd probably find herself slightly put off by him at first. But Diana is compassionate and good and caring and loving and always looks to find the best in people, the bit to love, and so she looks for that in Steve. And she finds utter humility, scathing self honesty. He just wants to be enough to get the job done. So much so that he's willing to submit to the higher authority of his superiors to that end. And then he meets Diana, someone he's utterly ready to submit to in terms of his ego, a more loving authority.
    Hmm you idea has merit but the submission part could prove problematic and deprive Steve of any personality whatsoever. And honestly the way I see Steve Trevors works better as a character who is experienced and hardened in some ways but not to the point of being as stubborn as Batman. Who complements Diana's idealistic ways something Mr. Marston should have done in fact I am all for tearing down much of what he has left behind.